Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - fanta

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
1
Achewood / Re: supporters of onstrad
« on: October 18, 2010, 12:45:51 am »
man this is a boring conversation I think I am going to quit coming here

2
Achewood / Re: supporters of onstrad
« on: October 17, 2010, 10:42:29 pm »
I'm not a troll!  or if I am, it was not intentional.  you shouldn't need to yell however.  it indicates imbalance in your psyche.

3
Achewood / Re: supporters of onstrad
« on: October 17, 2010, 09:26:31 pm »
Go read a book?

4
Achewood / Re: supporters of onstrad
« on: October 17, 2010, 06:09:06 pm »
Look shithead, you're not donating money to a corporation. You're paying salaries for everyone from the cashier to the cotton farmer to the fabricator who cut the fiber and put together the aglets - and in return you get quality shoelaces that you will enjoy. Its called mutually beneficial exchange. READ A BOOK for fuck's sake.

dude, if it upsets you this much, how can you be objective about it?  I'm sorry for insulting your religion.  Sheesh!

I have read books.  The books I've read tell me that in these sorts of systems, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.  You are looking at the parts, not the whole.  Economics theory has come a long way since any of us went to high school or college.  Economic dogma, on the other hand, is pretty much the same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

5
People & Places / Re: Are you a gambler?
« on: October 17, 2010, 02:56:16 pm »
this book, _How We Decide_ by Jonah Lehrer provides insight into why people gamble, among other things...  the below interview summarizes:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122854276

6
Achewood / Re: supporters of onstrad
« on: October 17, 2010, 02:47:12 pm »
is not the power, is the system

7
Achewood / Re: supporters of onstrad
« on: October 17, 2010, 11:22:02 am »
heh.  We're getting into the realm of psychology here.  I admit that I would certainly prefer that there be a new strip, and I would prefer that it be as great as the old achewood strips, such as Ray getting sort of stoned...  But I think that perhaps many of us, myself included, have a tendency to over-focus on what we would prefer.  I gave Onstad some money.  No biggie.  He does with it what he will.  I've handed random hitch-hikers as much money before.  I give however much money to the government in taxes in one form or another every year..  I buy lots and lots of consumer goods which only seems to enrich corporations at the expense of the little people...  I am a veritable force of evil, providing all these resources to all these evil entities.  If I can give $50 to onstad, it doesn't begin to off-set my contributions to evil in the world, but, it's better than nothing.  Without artists in our life, what do we have?  Walmart.  Disney.  Apple.  Google.  Microsoft.  Pixar.  McDonalds. 
Today I bought a role of thick cotton string at the store.  500 feet.  $2.  I'm going to use it as shoe laces.  That's 500*12/60/2*$3=$150 worth of shoe laces the corporations won't be selling me in this lifetime.

8
okay peepsels

well here is the update

I boughted this tool:

http://www.etoolcart.com/scan-tool-trilingual-obd-ii-can-and-abs.aspx
Manufacturer: Actron
Manufacturer Part No: ACT-CP9580
Our low price: $162.29

It sells for $230 or so at local places like Autozone.

In the end, in this price range, you have to compromise something.  The main consumer scan-tool makers have a strange matrix of features whereby you don't get more features for paying more, rather, you simply get different combinations of features.  Unfortunately, the ability to talk to the Air Bag computer is not one of the features available except on scanners specifically for air bags... these scanners do airbags and nothing else... :-( 

So basically, the main features you are looking at is the ability to do ABS diagnostics, or not, and the ability to do pre-1996 cars, or not, and also the ability to record data and play it back, or not... and also the ability to report the status of the car's IM monitors... e.g. complete, incomplete, OK, not OK.  This is invaluable for troubleshooting emissions, and for evaluating a used car you are considering purchasing (hint:  NEVER buy a car if any one of the IM monitors has an incomplete or not ok status unless you know what you're doing or you know you'll never need to pass an emissions test AND you don't plan on reselling the car)

Both Actron and Equus/Innova have on their web sites a comparison chart which shows which models have which features.

I went with Actron because the interface and user manual seemed on balance to be a lot more polished and easy to use and comprehensive than the Equus/Innova.  It's still pretty sucky in some regards, but oh well, given the price of $160, it was by far the cheapest option that still have a comprehensive feature set.

-----------------------

And then there are these nifty little gadgets:

http://www.scangauge.com/
http://www.roadico.com/roadi-products.php?#turboGIII

I got a scan gauge II at autozone for around $160.  This thing is great.  It displays an array of metrics, up to 4 at the same time, including such things as your more or less instantaneous liters of gas used per hour.  The turbo gauge is similar, but suffers from the shortsightedness of the designers in that it doesn't give you real time feedback on gas consumption, making it basically useless for the purpose of adjusting your driving style to save gas.

The scan gauge lets you see so many things, including the system voltage... great for diagnosing charging and alternator problems.  It even has a fairly comprehensive code reader/scanner built in, so it might be the only code reader you ever need. 

I really like the scan gauge because after simply driving around with it for 10 minutes, I gained significant insight into my gas consumption, into what does and doesn't burn more gas... Invaluable, especially if you have a stick shift.. you can see in what situations shifting into a higher gear saves gas, and in what situations it actually burns more gas... coasting in neutral generally uses several times less gas than *any* situation.  Turning on the A/C increases gas consumption by a third, when at idle. 

The only criticism I have is that the gas consumption sometimes drops to zero when you use engine breaking... this doesn't seem like it should be accurate... But what do I know... maybe it more or less is accurate?

One caution with the scan gauge is that it would be a good idea to tape up the exposed unused RJ port.  You don't want to discharge static electricity from your hand into this puppy as you could fry the internal electronics.




9
Wild Card / Re: Shave the Date
« on: October 17, 2010, 03:29:16 am »
I don't get it?

11
Achewood / Re: supporters of onstrad
« on: October 17, 2010, 02:46:19 am »
 yoboyobo_ni  » neu
allright, so I just donated $51 to Chris via the donate link on the front page. What can I say, the silence of fewer strips is a continual deafening reminder of how I haven't really donated much of anything to Chris over the years. If achewood goes down due to lack of funding, I don't want it on my conscience, ya know.

So when you donate, it gives you a phone number for Achewater publishing, so I called and left an encouraging massage for Chris. I assume it's Chris who checks the voice mail for that number, or doesn't, as the case may be. Either way, I did my part.
reply :: Comment rated 0 Chubbies and 0 Lames (marked as spam 0 times)
Rate this Comment: Chubby Lame Mark as Spam *Ignore User* [unread]
Displaying all 1027 comments

12
Achewood / Re: supporters of onstrad
« on: October 16, 2010, 07:19:25 am »
y'all are some impatient kinda impatient people

13
Science & Nature / Re: Do all internet hosting services suck or what?
« on: October 16, 2010, 01:18:19 am »
dreamhost.com is one of the best hosting services in the world in most respects, especially considering how cheap they are.  I use them as both a host and a registrar. 

14
Achewood / Re: supporters of onstrad
« on: October 16, 2010, 01:13:56 am »
in elnglish:

yeah man, like, a separate room of touamb only for people who give onstad money.  yes?  no? 

15
Achewood / supporters of onstrad
« on: October 15, 2010, 02:43:59 pm »
HERRO TUMB PEEPS
IS YER FAVRITE FRIEN HER WITH SOME SPCULATAVE SUGGESTION

WHY NUT MAKE SPECIAL FORUM OF TOUMB, SECRET AND RESERVE ONLY FOR THEM WHO SUBSRIBE TO FANFLOWAKATHEPAYSIDEOFASSETBAR....?  HUH?  WHY NUT?

YOU VERIFY SUBSCRIPTION BY E-MAIL TOUAMB MEMBER SECRET PASSWORD WHICH HE (SHE/IT) POST ON FANFLOWED.  THEN YOU KNOW THIS TOUAMBIE MEMBER FOR FREAL SUPPORTER OF ONTRSTARD.

WAY TO INCOURAGE SUPPORTIVE OF ONSTRADS ART  HE WOULD APPRECIATE AND HE MAYBE EVEN COME AND VISIT SOMETIME TO SAY "HERRO TANK YOU FOR GIVE MY BABY UPGRADE TO PREEEEMUM ORGANIC  CAT FUD CANS'

THINK ABOUT IT

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9