Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - TALKYdude

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
1
Achewood / Cilantro-ape ceviche 9-15-04
« on: September 15, 2004, 11:06:33 am »
OMG. This was my first laugh out loud moment in a couple weeks now. It was the title that done me in.

2
Arts & Entertainment / Limericks
« on: September 14, 2004, 03:55:25 am »
I was already having a good laugh but this just killed me:
Quote

There once was a man name of Jough
(ah, but that'd be telling, wouldn't it?)

3
Arts & Entertainment / Is this supposed to be funny?
« on: September 11, 2004, 04:47:32 am »
Quote from: "jough"
I suppose your "solution" would be to suggest moving to a country that has a higher standard of living than the U.S. does, like any Scandinavian country
I couldn't let this pass uncommented as Swedes are poorer than the poorest state in the Union, Mississippi, and have higher crime than the US average to boot. My Swedish source is a very interesting study, you should read that pdf, jough.

4
Sports & Leisure / PENETRATOR!!(tm)
« on: September 11, 2004, 04:37:56 am »
OMFG :!:
Would it have a TM in superscript? The Penetrator™?
You know The Dildo Co. Inc. didn't start making The Penetrator™ till the late seventies. Obvious fake!

5
Arts & Entertainment / Is this supposed to be funny?
« on: September 11, 2004, 12:31:52 am »
What A-D said, he said mine but much better.

6
Arts & Entertainment / Is this supposed to be funny?
« on: September 11, 2004, 12:31:14 am »
V-Adore (to butt in, and this thread sure got better when I was gone), I imagine it would work the same way it did when Nevada was the only place you could get a no-fault divorce. Back in the day every state made you prove cruelty or adultery or etc to get divorced. So people who just plain wanted to get a divorce would get it in Nevada and their home state would be forced to accept that. Likewise, I imagine gaily-wedded couples would find their weddings recognized in the other states. The Defense of Marriage Act (signed by Clinton) says that no state can be forced to accept it, so about half the states or so might take advantage of that and pass a law saying that the legal benefits of marriage are not conferred upon people who gaily-wedded in a different state. The rest would not have to actively pass a law that says the opposite thing, because existing customs of marriage being the same thing in every state would compensate. As for states that introduce their own versions of gay marriage like civil unions, that might be more complicated. I think that those will only be legit in the state where the ceremony took place, just like your license to sell alcohol in Illinois is only valid in Illinois, to make a bad analogy.
EDIT: As Aloha-Dawg points out, there's already 37 states that took advantage of the chance under DOMA to refuse to recognize gay marriages from other states.

7
Arts & Entertainment / Is this supposed to be funny?
« on: September 10, 2004, 08:51:41 am »
To personalize it, which is probably fallacious as far as arguing dispassionately goes, but I'm not dispassionate about it: If it was my mom talking about my dad who got killed by terrorists, and this is what Ted Rall said about her afterwards. I mean seriously, I would want to kick. his. ass! I don't care what my mom says to a bunch of Republicans. He doesn't say that shit about her. The cartoon was pure ad-hominem (ad-feminem?) and just intended to do nothing but create controversy to boost Rall's stock. Where's the artistry or the statement in shitting on these women? I just don't see it. He's a shameless self-promoter and he figured out yet another way to step on another human being to court controversy and fame. My main regret is that I fed it in any way by posting about how angry it made me. He's now more famous. Shit.

8
Arts & Entertainment / Is this supposed to be funny?
« on: September 10, 2004, 08:46:40 am »
What Flenker said :)
Actually, whoever asked me about Get Your War On, it doesn't bother me, I actually think it's really funny. Ted Rall just isn't funny though, I was pissed off from when I read the phrase "Terror Whores" on. I think he's talking about the 9/11 widows who spoke at the Republican convention, but I would be just as pissed off if he said it about some widows who spoke at the Democrat convention, or the Green, or whatever. It doesn't matter, it's WRONG and Rall is a piece of shit. In my personal piece-of-shittiness calculus.
arkabee, it's not that he wrote it, or that he had something to write about. It's the fact that he's attacking a target I consider very sympathetic, grief-stricken widows, and I personally would not criticize them for their actions no matter what party they were supporting. Who the fuck is Ted Rall to judge them? Would Ted Rall say the same thing about these women if they'd appeared at the Democratic convention? I think the answer is pretty obviously no, and I would love it if you produced a Rall cartoon along fairly similar lines that proved me to be wrong. The guy is a piece of crap, scum on humanity's pond. In my worldview.

9
Science & Nature / I typed "start." Nothing. Nothing! BEEP BEEP
« on: September 10, 2004, 08:39:07 am »
SUSE is gone?

10
Sports & Leisure / The Europeans call it "gridiron"
« on: September 10, 2004, 08:34:11 am »
Titans in the Superbowl. I believe!

11
Achewood / Tubby Tabby Terrorizes Throne! 9/8 04
« on: September 08, 2004, 08:42:59 am »
Jesus, Ray has a tall door. The "London Morning STAR" isn't very convincing looking. He should add color just to that panel, maybe.
All in all, kind of an anticlimax. I almost wish he'd just dropped the storyline, instead of closing it this way.

12
Arts & Entertainment / Is this supposed to be funny?
« on: September 07, 2004, 10:15:53 am »
Because it just makes me want to beat the crap out of Ted Rall.

13
Achewood / 5" spinner rims for the stroller - 9-3-04
« on: September 04, 2004, 03:22:59 am »
Yeah, my circle of friends has been saying "getting krunked up" and "let's get krunked" for a couple of years now. It started off as making fun of people who say that. Now we say it without a hint of irony.
I'm not sure if, at 24, I count as "the kids" or not.

14
People & Places / Good bye to all...
« on: September 02, 2004, 10:39:49 pm »
I'm sad to see you go, side_show. I hope that whole thing works out for you.

15
People & Places / Packing up for Alaska
« on: September 02, 2004, 10:37:38 pm »
Good luck, Linnea :)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12