Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this supposed to be funny?  (Read 7502 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Is this supposed to be funny?
« on: September 07, 2004, 10:15:53 am »

Because it just makes me want to beat the crap out of Ted Rall.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Is this supposed to be funny?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 12:38:23 pm »

Guess Rall hasn't gotten enough hate mail lately, has to push the envelope again.  I get his overall point (I'm on his side of the aisle anyway), but I can see how some will be offended.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Is this supposed to be funny?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 01:07:32 pm »

what part of it makes you angry?  

that he would write it, or that he has something to write about?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Is this supposed to be funny?
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 01:14:58 pm »

How dare Ted Rall point out that the Republicans are cynically exploiting a national tragedy for political gain!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Is this supposed to be funny?
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 01:21:32 pm »

Jough, I need a macro key for "What AugustWest said". Please fix soonest. I would have said "the Republicans have been parading 9/11 around like it was a jewel-encrusted cock ring", but that is why some people are attorneys and some are not.

TALKYdude, I'm guessing Get Your War On would probably give you a fuck*ng aneurysm.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Is this supposed to be funny?
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 01:34:46 pm »

What Zartan said.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Is this supposed to be funny?
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 04:14:19 pm »

What CortJstr said.
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Is this supposed to be funny?
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 04:14:31 pm »

Okay, this is me typing:

[CTRL]+[SHIFT]+[Z] as a macro for What Zartan Said.

Yes, Bush Republicans are exploiting 9/11 for political gain, but SO IS KERRY.  Make no mistake about it - the implication in Kerry's platform is "VOTE FOR KERRY AND THINGS LIKE 9/11 WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN BECAUSE WE ARE PEACENIK HIPPIES AND WANT THE WORLD TO LOVE US."

I mean, both candidates are power-hungry exploiters of other people's tragedy.  You can't base your voting decision on something like that, man.

It's like deciding on which fast food place is HEALTHIER and eating there, rather than judging them on their true qualities, like which one doesn't make your heart hurt after you're done eating there.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Is this supposed to be funny?
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 04:22:27 pm »

Thank you for the GYWO link. I especially liked the previous installment on the Swift Boat campaign.

"You know, there was a time when I would have been sad to hear that OVER A MILLION MORE AMERICANS ARE NOW LIVING IN POVERTY.  But now my reaction is "Good, I hope it's those Swift-Boat-givin'-a-fuck idiots."
Logged

Flenker

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
    • http://www.picdump.org/gallery/chris
Is this supposed to be funny?
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 04:59:35 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
What CortJstr said.
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Is this supposed to be funny?
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2004, 08:46:40 am »

What Flenker said :)
Actually, whoever asked me about Get Your War On, it doesn't bother me, I actually think it's really funny. Ted Rall just isn't funny though, I was pissed off from when I read the phrase "Terror Whores" on. I think he's talking about the 9/11 widows who spoke at the Republican convention, but I would be just as pissed off if he said it about some widows who spoke at the Democrat convention, or the Green, or whatever. It doesn't matter, it's WRONG and Rall is a piece of shit. In my personal piece-of-shittiness calculus.
arkabee, it's not that he wrote it, or that he had something to write about. It's the fact that he's attacking a target I consider very sympathetic, grief-stricken widows, and I personally would not criticize them for their actions no matter what party they were supporting. Who the fuck is Ted Rall to judge them? Would Ted Rall say the same thing about these women if they'd appeared at the Democratic convention? I think the answer is pretty obviously no, and I would love it if you produced a Rall cartoon along fairly similar lines that proved me to be wrong. The guy is a piece of crap, scum on humanity's pond. In my worldview.
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Is this supposed to be funny?
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2004, 08:51:41 am »

To personalize it, which is probably fallacious as far as arguing dispassionately goes, but I'm not dispassionate about it: If it was my mom talking about my dad who got killed by terrorists, and this is what Ted Rall said about her afterwards. I mean seriously, I would want to kick. his. ass! I don't care what my mom says to a bunch of Republicans. He doesn't say that shit about her. The cartoon was pure ad-hominem (ad-feminem?) and just intended to do nothing but create controversy to boost Rall's stock. Where's the artistry or the statement in shitting on these women? I just don't see it. He's a shameless self-promoter and he figured out yet another way to step on another human being to court controversy and fame. My main regret is that I fed it in any way by posting about how angry it made me. He's now more famous. Shit.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Is this supposed to be funny?
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2004, 12:08:33 pm »

To throw in my two cents:

I am not sure this is actually in good taste, but it seems clear that it's not meant as an ad hominem attack, just an attack on their actual actions. Do I approve of attacking the women? Of course I don't. Do I approve of attacking the women's choice of using their personal tragedy as a campaign shill? Yes, I very much do.

They have chosen to make their actions public and are acting in the service of a campaign; this means that their actions can and should be scrutinized publically like any campaign shill's can and should. The idea that personal tragedy makes any use of that tragedy absolutely beyond reproach seems to me to be disingenuous at best.

(Small note: I am not defending the last panel, which is both fairly ad-hominem and a bad punchline to boot. I'm just saying that the first three panels are at least valid in their criticism.)
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Is this supposed to be funny?
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2004, 01:50:39 pm »

what about the whore's who are selling their integrity to BRING you the stories about terror, etc, who make their living by making things get viewers in order to sell commercial advertisement time?

maybe he was talking about those whores.

the ones who don't give a shit about anyone or anything.

edit: having reread the comic, apparently he wasn't talking about those whores, was he.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Is this supposed to be funny?
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2004, 04:24:12 pm »

Wow, I found the 9/11 wives at the convention to be really tacky and shamelessly using their status as sympathy-magnets to shill for the Republicans.

I found their segment at the convention to be in horribly bad taste.

Don't shoot the messenger - Rall is obviously exaggerating (and yes, that last panel is just petty and stupid) but he's not that far off the mark - vote for the Repubicans or my husband died in vain?  Fuck you.  If it wasn't for the prior actions of the Republican party your husband would still be alive, lady.  Try to swallow that down before you try to ply my sympathy for your suffering into a vote for those partially responsible.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up