Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - aparrish

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
1
Achewood / Grandpa Got Run Over By A Blog- December Blogs
« on: December 15, 2005, 02:40:47 pm »
Quote
Turns out T. Orezscu's quaff of choice is a doppio (two espresso shots), into which he shakes a half packet of raw sugar. No frills, just the straight stuff. Yesterday he downed it in one quick gulp before jumping on his skateboard and youthfully kicking away.

This is exactly what I drink.  Down to the half packet of raw sugar.  I don't have a skateboard, though.

2
Arts & Entertainment / Fear of Music
« on: December 15, 2005, 02:22:06 pm »
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Awesome. I'd prefer mp3 just for portability. Being a huge geek I use -alt preset standard but I'll take whatever. Do you have a method of transport? I can see if I can allow you to FTP them to up to my site.

If you can give me FTP access that would be cool, otherwise I can just put them up on my web space for a while.  I was at my girlfriend's place last night but tonight I will definitely be able to upload them.  Provided, that is, that I don't get too drunk at the company HOLIDAY PARTY and miss the last train home before the damn subway strike.

3
Achewood / A Respectful Awareness of Diabetes - 12/14/2006
« on: December 14, 2005, 08:10:44 pm »
Surely "Gray Rackles" is now a candidate to be one of those title thingies that you get for posting a certain number of messages (is there a name for that?).

Anyway, it's true, Reader's Digest is awfully powerful.  We had stacks and stacks of them in the basement back home and I used to read 'Life In These United States' before I went to sleep.  This was when I was in second grade.  Even to this day, my mom will call me up occasionally and tell me to stop eating giraffe, based on something she read in Reader's Digest.

4
Arts & Entertainment / Fear of Music
« on: December 14, 2005, 07:52:43 pm »
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Does anybody have the US release of The Go Team album? I go the import a few months ago but the US version has a couple of different tracks apparently and I would like to aquire them w/o rebuying the CD.


I'm a little late here, but I have the US version.  Do you have particular wishes vis-a-vis bit rate/format?

Unrelated question: is it okay to like Diane Cluck?  Her latest CD is very awesome but when I'm listening to it I get this Ani/Joni vibe and that sort of frightens me.  Not that there's a problem with Ani or Joni, but I'd just like to know beforehand if I'm going to have to start buying patchouli and putting my hair in dreads.  (Also I might have to become a lesbian, which would be fairly complicated for me.)

5
Wild Card / The Poe Toaster
« on: December 07, 2005, 06:52:01 pm »
The Wikipedia neglects to mention the note that the Toaster left on the grave in 1986:

The angels, not half so happy in heaven,
Went envying her and me -
Yes! - that was the reason (as all men know,
In this kingdom by the sea)
That the wind came out of the cloud by night,
Chilling and killing my Original Coke.

Seriously, though, "The Baltimore Ravens. A thousand injuries they will suffer"?  I had no idea the Poe Toaster had so thoroughly jumped the shark.

6
Arts & Entertainment / WTF Nippon, Part 58
« on: December 07, 2005, 02:51:23 pm »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this commercial was HOTT.

Seriously, I was up all night worrying about this.

7
Arts & Entertainment / WTF Nippon, Part 58
« on: December 06, 2005, 04:15:16 pm »
Do they think their dancing is going to kill Ganon?

Come to think of it they might be on to something.

8
Sports & Leisure / Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« on: December 06, 2005, 04:10:56 pm »
Quote from: "Bozack"
137th and Broadway, boyee! I'm not in Inwood yet, but I feel your pain- none of my Brooklyn friends ever want to come up. But I'm thinkin'.... There's a cheap reggae bar in the West 120's- WE SHOUD PARTY.


Brooklyn.  Who needs it.  I ask you.

Maybe we should have some kind of NYC TOUAMB get together?  I think there is at least one other person on the board from NYC, or at least there was at some point.  Has this ever been attempted before?

9
Sports & Leisure / Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« on: December 06, 2005, 04:07:11 pm »
Quote from: "miles"
a Compendium of Exquisite Delightes for Those Who Desire Drinke Beeres & Ales in Utah


Thanks for this, it will be very helpful.  My family lives up in the DC (Davis County) so I may or may not make it into the city to go to, like, places where drinkin' is done publically.

10
Arts & Entertainment / So... who wants a mixtape?
« on: December 05, 2005, 11:06:43 pm »
Quote from: "miles"
Stoner is a perfectly fine term to describe music.  Stoner rock or stoner metal could never be replaced by slowcore (which makes me think of Galaxie 500, Ride or maybe Low).  And if you're describing it to your parents, for some reason, just drop the stoner.


Yeah, basically when I say "slowcore" I mean "Low."

11
Arts & Entertainment / So... who wants a mixtape?
« on: December 05, 2005, 05:49:27 pm »
Quote from: "antioch"
ONE of my fears when making mixtapes is that the person receiving the tape might think I'm trying to convert them to my tastes. I am working on a cd-r that will showcase noiserock and off-time nerd punk throughout the last  decade (as filtered through my not-so-big collection of music). Tentative title is "the modern spazz".  I think the format I'm going to go for is: hook, no hook, hook, psych/noise jam..and repeat.


Antioch, I am very interested in this and although I'm sure it will be a compelling mix I promise not to feel thereby pressured to convert to your (no doubt very awesome) taste in music.

Personally I've been working on a mix that finds the common aesthetic thread through lofi ((pseudo-)ethnic) (psych) folk, drone, slowcore, shoegaze and dream pop.  Frankly, it will be devastating.  If anyone is interested, let me know and I will send you a copy.

I was in Vilnius in September yet I failed to visit the Bust of Frank Zappa.  A deathbed regret if I ever heard of one. :(

12
Achewood / written and directed by Ray: 12-5-2005
« on: December 05, 2005, 03:35:04 pm »
Quote from: "CortJstr"
So is he on sentry duty or something?


Dude's only flauntin' his sick inkjet wingtips.  Lay off.

I enjoyed this strip immensely but it is only the latest to be categorized as It Would Be Unfortunate If This Was The First Achewood Strip A Person Saw.  (see also)

13
Arts & Entertainment / Movies you HATE
« on: December 05, 2005, 03:26:24 pm »
It's okay to say "oriental" but only if you're describing the Top Ramen flavor.

14
Sports & Leisure / Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« on: December 05, 2005, 03:14:19 pm »
Quote from: "miles"
Anyway, I really like Sam Adams.  Someone dissed on it earlier in the thread.  Every beer they make is good, and is always a good standby.

That was me.  I'm fine with Sam Adams, I just get frustrated when it's like the only drinkable beer available at a bar.

Quote from: "miles"
I pretty much prefer stout to anything.  There are a few good locally brewed stouts here.  The other night we ordered three pitchers of a Christmas Raspberry Stout.  The sample tasted excellent.  The first pitcher was good.  The second was OK.  The third we realized that the raspberry taste was a bit too overwhelming.  But their standard stout--Latter Day Stout--is excellent.  Not Guiness, but close enough.  Their IPA is also excellent.


Maybe you can post a list of good local Utah brews?  I left the state when I was too young to drink (and too emotionally immature to realize that it was an Okay Thing To Do) and have therefore never really had any good drinkin' when I'm back home over the holidays.  Anyway, it would be cool to know what the good stuff is.  So I don't have to get the 3.2 Bud from the supermarket.

15
Sports & Leisure / Beer and Beer Snobbery (split from Dec. '05 blogs)
« on: December 05, 2005, 03:07:27 pm »
Quote from: "Bozack"
Where in New York do you live? Perhaps I can point you in the direction of some cool places.


I'm up in Inwood/Washington Heights.  "The Part Of Manhattan That's So Far North It's In The Bronx."  I might be beyond help.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8