Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - jay-ell

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 386
1
Wild Card / Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« on: May 26, 2015, 06:44:25 pm »
Yeah, I really tried to hit the middle on that. If I can keep my shit from falling off I ought to hit sixty, have no kid-raising obligations and be ready to pull the cord on the retirement parachute. Hopefully that leaves me some years still in the tank for further tomfoolery and/or shenanigans.

Yup. Married at 22, and my baby girl will be 18 four weeks before I turn 47. Even if they stay at home through college, my nest will be empty long before I get my AARP card.

Still, two and a half decades is a long-ass time to wait for the freedom to sleep in on Saturdays and putter around in the garden on Sunday afternoons.

2
Wild Card / Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« on: May 06, 2015, 08:51:05 pm »
That sucks, inev. Hope you get something even better. Their loss, anyhow.

I got my first paycheck today. One hundred and three smackaroonies. Not much, but it'll more than cover the amount I expect to spend in my own damn store this month, so that's something.

My kids are off school for three weeks starting next Wednesday and I'm stocking up on stuff to keep them busy so I don't strangle them. I justify this to myself by looking back at how much I spent on Mama School last time they were tracked out, before I had a 30% employee discount on everything.

Someday I will get a job where I can just make money and not spend it on the things I'm supposed to be getting other people to buy.

3
Wild Card / Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« on: May 01, 2015, 09:05:18 pm »
I quit because I thought he was making terrible business decisions, and they closed less than six months later. #vindicated

4
Wild Card / Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« on: April 30, 2015, 07:22:36 am »
That is actually super helpful. I happen to know a certain man of Slight Build and Long Arms, now the trick is to convince him that is is OK to occasionally buy clothing that has not been previously worn by strangers.

5
Wild Card / Re: Return of the Son of Today I'm Gonna...
« on: April 30, 2015, 03:38:55 am »
I did some internet searches and found a company that other skinny tall guys said seems to stock a lot of skinny neck /long-arm shirts.

Do you have a link? Asking for a friend.

Thanks for creating a new thread just in time for me to come back from my ridiculous hiatus so that I can catch up all of your lives without having to page through the old one and try not to comment on things that are ridiculously outdated. That was considerate.

I got a job, I guess some of you know that from Facebook. It's pretty awesome. Right now it's about 12-15 hours a week but they tell me that I can expect that to increase after I'm trained to open and close and when we get into the busy season, which is June/July/August.

It's an education supply store, which makes people think of pencils and notebook paper, but we have traditionally catered more to teachers and home-school parents than to regular people. The store moved into a new, dedicated building last fall and the retail space is 17,000 square feet, plus a warehouse that serves the web store. We sell an amazing variety of stuff, from lesson planners, workbooks, and classroom posters to kid-appropriate lab equipment, math manipulatives, every kind of art supply you can think of and some you can't. The owners have devoted almost half the retail space in the new building to toys and games. They apparently hired me because of my experience at the board game shop, because they want to expand their game section (the selection seems random and not particularly balanced; I think they just ordered stuff from companies that would give them free display racks) and they are hoping I can advise them about what to order and how it should be marketed. Which, of course, I am more than happy to do.

It's pretty much the perfect job for me right now, except, I mean, it's retail pay. But it's mostly hours when my kids are at school, and a few weekends. I've got 2 whole weekends off in May, which was unexpected but nice.

6
Wild Card / Re: Oh no you dint!
« on: July 30, 2014, 09:37:59 pm »
My kid rode his bike smack into the back of my neighbor's (parked) truck. Thank God for helmets; he's fine. But he busted his lip and has a wicked shiner. And guess what? Tomorrow's picture day at school. Gonna look like the losing side of a bar fight in the yearbook. Nine year old boy? Yeah, sounds about right.

7
Then use imageshack or somesuch. There's one that doesn't require you to have an account.

8
Wild Card / Re: Oh no you dint!
« on: May 21, 2014, 05:44:04 pm »
I think it's pretty obvious what my midlife crisis is, to anyone who knows me at all.

SPOILER: It's not a sports car.

10
There are definitely a few small differences. The border spacing on the main page is a little different, but I can't quite put my finger on whether it's bigger or smaller. It's just...different.

11
Wild Card / Re: Shit my ________ says
« on: April 23, 2014, 04:11:11 am »
Posted to Facebook by the wife of an old flame:

Quote
Speed Challenge: Nicholas Sparks lover here at the library.... What should I read????.....Go!

Hesitated for juuuust long enough to keep myself from posting, "Asimov." But I bet someone here has a much funnier quip.

12
Wild Card / Re: Oh no you dint!
« on: April 09, 2014, 07:51:42 pm »
Point Wombat.

13
Wild Card / Re: Oh no you dint!
« on: April 09, 2014, 02:54:47 pm »
sorry, I am moving to New Jersey.

*weeps*

I'm glad you made your decision, Inev. We'll always have biscuits and sweet tea.

14
Wild Card / Re: Oh no you dint!
« on: April 09, 2014, 01:14:24 am »
Inev, I love you, please move to NC so that I can hook you up with my D&D-playing friends. They will nurture and adore your lovely nerdiness every bit as much as i do.

15
People & Places / Re: Facebook for good or ill
« on: March 23, 2014, 01:27:31 am »
I capped my Facebook friends list at 150 because I read years ago that that is the maximum number of people, more or less, that most people can keep track of at once. I used to delete someone every time I added someone new, but I lifted the cap recently because I just didn't feel like dealing with sifting through and choosing people to drop. I'm at 176 now and that's too many, I might go ahead and drop the people I knew in middle school but haven't talked to since. I don't have any other way to get in touch with them, but...I can't figure out why I'd want to at this point.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 386