Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Freddie Fractions

Pages: [1]
1
Achewood / something weird that happened (think Guest Strips)
« on: August 06, 2003, 08:57:43 pm »
Quote from: "slink"
Man, too much Achewood... I see that NOOOOOOO and I see it more as a 'nooooooo' re. Phillippe in The Saddest Thing strips!


I always hear 'noooo' now as what applesauce and pork chops would say to each other...

2
Sports & Leisure / brining
« on: August 01, 2003, 06:13:04 pm »
dropping science
|
|
|
|
|
|
V
The salt has two effects on poultry, reports Dr. Alan Sams, a professor of poultry science at Texas A & M University. "It dissolves protein in muscle, and the salt and protein reduce moisture loss during cooking. This makes the meat juicer, more tender, and improves the flavor. The low levels of salt enhance the other natural flavors of poultry."

Not that this really explains much.  I just like that there is such a thing as a professor of poultry science.

3
Achewood / How did you discover Achewood?
« on: August 01, 2003, 05:04:52 pm »
Yeah I did the archives in under a (work) day.  I did that somewhat recently with drewweing.com and slowwave.com too.  It's such a different way to consume webcomics that it's almost a letdown when you have to wait for new ones daily.

4
Achewood / How did you discover Achewood?
« on: August 01, 2003, 04:58:33 pm »
You forgot memepool yo!

5
Achewood / Well, without the stress of the board...
« on: August 01, 2003, 04:00:13 pm »
The artfullness of today's comic almost makes it seem like O changed the schedule knowing the response it would provoke among some, only to make them part of the joke...

6
Sports & Leisure / brining
« on: August 01, 2003, 03:50:11 pm »
Ooh how exciting to initiate the new tastes forum!  

Anyway, the other day I had some chicken breasts I wanted to cook just for myself - nothing fancy.  Since Ray brines his ruuuuuude chicken I figured why not.  I've always got water, salt, sugar, and random spice/flavor additives and so all it takes is a little planning ahead.  So I brined them for a little under 24 hours and they were definitely better than usual, but not amazing.  Do multiple days really make the difference?  Can someone explain the science behind this?  Normal marinades usually only need an hour or two at most for optimum effect.

Pages: [1]