Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Well, without the stress of the board...  (Read 5380 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Well, without the stress of the board...
« on: August 01, 2003, 09:35:40 am »

I was impressed by todays Achewood!
The delivery of the line 'Well, okay, but there's still a hair in my nachos' was superb.
Got kind of strange towards the end there though...
Maybe the O is free of the stress already!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 03:39:55 am by Nabubrush »
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Well, without the stress of the board...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 09:38:34 am »

Hey Slink, I think yours was the first relevant post!

I think Onstad was making fun of us a little "Sorry Ray, the readers are saying that they're tired of seeing you in the strip all the time."

Ha.

-- Jough

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Well, without the stress of the board...
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 10:10:44 am »

I'm not sure how many times this debate has been warmed over, but...

I actually think that Beef and Ray are the most compelling characters and thus the most deserving of strip space.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Well, without the stress of the board...
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 01:20:04 pm »

Teenaged X-Box playin' Phillippe was funny and disturbing, all at the same time.

And yes, I see this clearly as an exorcism of all Onstad's Message Board demons.  Or at least a venting of some of his pet peeves.  Or maybe it's a slap at me personally.  I'll get him for this.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Vinz Clortho

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
Well, without the stress of the board...
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 01:44:29 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Teenaged X-Box playin' Phillippe was funny and disturbing, all at the same time.


More disturbing than his new sleeveless thug-t or his Vincent Price-like teenage moustache, is that he is as big as a human.

That is a very large and angry otter.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Well, without the stress of the board...
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 01:50:39 pm »

I'm impressed that the "real" Ray isn't a prima donna and was actually willing to give up the spotlight. And I'm sure he talk Beef into making more nacho-y goodness.

But obviously with any ensamble piece there's a balance with use of the obvious stand-out characters and the rest of the cast. I don't even think it would be necessary to have Ray-less strips, just having him interacting with people other than Beef seemed to make most peole happy.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Well, without the stress of the board...
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2003, 02:10:35 pm »

The problem with staying up all night and seeing the new comic soopa-early is that now I have to wait until Monday for more new stuff.

And I already read Ebert's reviews too.  Man, my Friday schedule is pretty much clear and it's only 10AM.

I guess I should get some sleep at some point eventually.

-- Jough, who despite having oodles of fun with ya'll had to do work for a client after setting this bad boy up.

Freddie Fractions

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Well, without the stress of the board...
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2003, 04:00:13 pm »

The artfullness of today's comic almost makes it seem like O changed the schedule knowing the response it would provoke among some, only to make them part of the joke...
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Well, without the stress of the board...
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2003, 05:46:15 pm »

Philippe's reaction was priceless; it reminded me of David Cross's bit about the Light Up Atlanta festival.

"Excuse me, do you know if this is the line for the beer or the tickets to get the beer?"
" ... I don't know, faggot."
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Well, without the stress of the board...
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2003, 03:11:38 pm »

ferocious, you may have just hit upon why i am such the fan of achewood.

my favorite sketch show has been mr.show since it first aired (or since i first saw it), and it's got a certain sense about its humor that just can't be replicated.

and achewood has that same kind of thing going on! not that they have the same certain sense, but they both have such distinct certain senses to their forms and shapes of humor, and both their senses are similarly constructed, if you know what i mean.

i'm italic-happy and capitals-unhappy at this moment, it would appear.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Well, without the stress of the board...
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2003, 05:25:56 am »

Well the board wouldn't be much stress today.  Not a single Achewood post.  I couldn't let the entire day go past without at least one.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up