Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - mrdna1

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
1
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04242008

I could go for some of Beef's cards ... the 7-pack would probably come in handy during finals week.

2
Achewood / Re: April 8th 2008 - Language, Mr. Teal!
« on: April 08, 2008, 12:32:58 pm »
TWEET

3
I want the Achewood machine on a shirt.

4
Achewood / Re: March 21, 2008 - God, she's not at all what I wanted...
« on: March 21, 2008, 08:59:18 am »
it reminds me of the surreal and kind of melancholy vibe from the old Mexican Realism/Magreaux/Lonis P. Edison series. too bad it's probably only a one-off.

5
Achewood / Re: March 14, 2008 - Wiiiiise...men...saaaaay....
« on: March 14, 2008, 10:30:11 pm »
angry Beef is always such a welcome sight.

I'm still kind of curious about the wedding, though ... I seem to remember that Molly had issues getting a job and/or with other things since she's still legally dead. is it possible to marry a dead person, or did that part go the way of the Underground?

6
Achewood / Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« on: March 08, 2008, 03:32:02 am »
"It's very similar to an Fm."

Sounds the same to our ear, yes, and most people who play by ear or don't have theory training would hear that chord (or play it on their guitar) and call it an F minor.  Hell, that's what I'd call it if I was showing someone else what chord to play.  But in the key of C# (for instance), it would be improper to call it Fm -- you would call it E# minor, and you'd spell the chord as:  E#, G#, B#, not F, Ab, C, as you would spell an Fm.  Why?  Well, I'm glad that you asked, and to be honest, a bit surprised that you even care, but here it is:  It's because the diatonic major scale in the key of C# would be:  C#, D#, E#, F#, G#, A#, and B#.  Yep, 7 sharps, and you'd put all seven of them on the staff in your key signature when you're writing something out in C#.  Otherwise, you'd run the risk of confusing someone who was attempting to sight-read the piece (by calling notes and chords by their enharmonic names, i.e.  E# = "F", or  B# = "C"). 

It'll still be kinda confusing to them, though -- that's a lot of sharps to keep track of on the page and on your axe.  They'd probably be happier if you had written your piece out in Db, which would sound exactly the same, but have fewer accidentals to keep track of (Db has 5 flats, as opposed to C#'s 7 sharps).  In Db, it would be legal and proper to call that chord Fm.  BTW, the key of F# (six sharps) also contains the controversial and contentious E#.

Having said that, I'm guessing that Onstad referred to it as E#m just because he thought its oddness made for a mildly funny musical joke.  Or maybe he just likes the damn key of C#.

Great strip, BTW.  So very, very much to recommend about it. 

that, and technically an Fm and an E#m should sound different, at least if played in pure intonation. ah well, someday I'll learn to turn that sort of thing off and just enjoy the damn strips.

I dunno about Onstad's musical knowledge ... he did some pretty interesting/possibly stolen stuff with Ray's piano playing and (I think) what Téodor wrote for Click-Bot's funeral, but I also remember a strip or two involving more or less random musical notation. so ...

7
Achewood / Re: March 7 2008- He'd be more like a basenji dammit
« on: March 07, 2008, 11:15:28 pm »
the mention of an E#m chord makes my head hurt.

</musictheorynerd>

8
Achewood / Re: Feb. 5, 2008 - Seasonal Happiness Lamps
« on: February 05, 2008, 10:27:58 pm »
man, if I'd known that those lamps could get you laid I would've bought one ages ago.

9
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01232008

such a quotable strip. I can see the Ray-for-Prez storyline developing into something else even more ridiculous, or at least petering out in a comical fashion.

10
Achewood / Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
« on: January 21, 2008, 02:22:02 pm »
I'm hoping for a Raymo Smookels arc, myself.

11
Achewood / 14 Jan 2008 - MARLENE FUCKS BALD PEOPLE
« on: January 14, 2008, 06:21:25 am »
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01142008

I love these color strips and their surreal vibe ... even if the topic is kind of perverse. I mean, a stuffed bear beating off to 70s LP covers? yikes.

12
Achewood / Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« on: January 11, 2008, 06:26:04 am »
I could stand to see more Achewood strips in color, especially if they're as surreal as this one.

13
Achewood / 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
« on: October 26, 2007, 03:20:55 am »
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10262007

this is probably one of the most bizarre "Philippe Times" that's come out yet. I like the tie-in to Wednesday's hot tub video strip.

14
Achewood / 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
« on: October 08, 2007, 04:43:12 am »
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10082007

isn't that plane from the Bobbins crossover strip?

also, this Todd arc is ... strange.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11