Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - colmore

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26
1
Achewood / Re: lady-arms.com - March 18 2014
« on: March 19, 2014, 03:03:41 am »
As far as ideas of love go, this is at least better than helping a Chinese lady get her MBA so she can dump him.

2
Wild Card / Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:22:00 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZu097wb8wU

Jazz should always be that much fun.  I miss New York.



3
Achewood / Re: five lessons in the development of successful comics
« on: February 27, 2014, 06:25:45 pm »
He was indeed awesome in '05.  Whatever happens to this silly little comic strip, I'll always be grateful to Onstad for making the Bush Years tolerable.

4
Achewood / Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
« on: February 24, 2014, 08:55:41 pm »
Did Mr. Bear go on an emergency Bed, Bath, & Beyond run for his friend?  Where did the bed frame come from?

5
Achewood / Re: Feb 15, 2014 -- The Foundation for Undie-Fused Meatus
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:53:46 pm »
Yeah, me either really.  The lack of good roles for women across all narrative media is an aggregate problem, not so much a specific problem of specific artists.  If an artist is best at writing about gangs of stoner dudes, he should stick to that.  Though if Onstad is reading this (he isn't) I'll pass along a tip I got from a writing teacher: if you want to come off as someone with a fresh idea about gender dynamics, just take a famous and well-regarded relationship story, something from a movie or book, and just switch the genders.  Make the girl Woodie Allen or Carrie Grant or whatever.  It's a cheap trick and it really works.

6
Achewood / Re: Feb 15, 2014 -- The Foundation for Undie-Fused Meatus
« on: February 17, 2014, 09:29:53 pm »
I'm just patiently waiting for him to work this storyline out of his system.  It seems like it's Important to him.  It's still better than no Achewood at all, but Teodor has always been the normal guy foil to all the other characters, you don't make that guy your main focus.

And I appreciate that he seems to be trying a little harder to write a woman who fits into his world, but still he is awkward at it, and her presence seems to be deteriorating the other characters.

7
Achewood / Re: Feb 15, 2014 -- The Foundation for Undie-Fused Meatus
« on: February 15, 2014, 11:09:16 pm »
Really don't have much to say about this one.  This date is taking months.  It's a funny date for sure, but I could use some short form funny at this point.

8
Achewood / Re: Jan 31 2014 - I'm an owl jumper-cabled to a car battery
« on: February 03, 2014, 05:08:18 pm »
Cleaning up my Facebook was one of my New Years deals.  I unfriended anyone who I honestly couldn't remember from real life, took down a bunch of photos, and cleared out the backlog of friend requests.  Then I created a second account with a fake name and maximum privacy settings that is only friends with my actual friends.  I use that second account now.  The account under my real name is really just there to be an entry in the virtual phone book.  It has my phone number and address listed and viewable to friends.

9
Achewood / Re: Jan 31 2014 - I'm an owl jumper-cabled to a car battery
« on: January 31, 2014, 06:12:12 pm »
I guess Onstad is forced by recent circumstances to reconsider his old love of Led Zeppelin and U2?  That's what I'm getting from all of this.

10
Achewood / Re: Jan 31 2014 - I'm an owl jumper-cabled to a car battery
« on: January 31, 2014, 03:20:21 pm »
It's funny because he's not even really providing an ethical justification for what he's doing, their potato is just insufficiently Whole Foods snobby.

11
Achewood / Re: Jan 31 2014 - I'm an owl jumper-cabled to a car battery
« on: January 31, 2014, 02:32:36 pm »
I think he took their potato, put it in an empty fiber supplement bag, smashed it and then ran off?  Which seems like it wouldn't get in the way of turning that potato into hash browns.

13
Achewood / Re: 14_01_24 - I only wish!
« on: January 24, 2014, 08:22:43 pm »
Man, she's like... creating a space for him to impress her.  He's in like sin.

That's the great thing about dating a punk.  They're pretty cool with the fact that life's a mess, and they've figured out a way to make poverty entertaining.

14
We WERE talking about Penny, but then I started talking about what I wanted to talk about, duh.

There's no blanket statements to be made about what a 2014 punk will listen to.  I was once at a punk house show where after the bands quit playing and everyone was drunk, someone's 90s mix on their iPod got plugged into the PA and drunken dancing to "What if God Was One of Us" commenced.  And yes, you have to be heroically drunk to dance to that song.

15
"Punk" has meant about at many things over the years as "Rhythm and Blues" has.

The earliest scenes that were called punk by the people that were there at the time (and not retrospectively), New York and Manchester, had a really diverse array of bands.  Classic punk immediately brings The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, and The Dead Boys to mind, but it also had Patty Smith, Television, the Soft Boys, Joy Division, the Talking Heads, and others that don't fit the paradigm so neatly.  Punk was a reaction against the popular music of the late 70s, but that doesn't mean it was a total break.  And in my experience, musicians themselves have wider ranging tastes than their fans.  I bet if you were to take a poll of everyone whose band played CBGB's between 76-81 (to pick a kinda arbitrary range) and asked for opinions on Led Zeppelin, the results would be mixed.  I mean, before punk there wasn't much punk for the punk rockers to listen to.  Their record collections in 1975 had to have more than Iggy Pop and the Velvet Underground in them.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26