Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - yotayquiero

Pages: [1]
1
Achewood / The Round Thighs of a Laugher - 11 October 2006
« on: October 11, 2006, 11:24:17 am »
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10112006

So the "Edison" is not just a coincidence...  I still don't understand why he's cat-size.

And finally, Bensington may make a character of himself.



[Edited n00b's title and permalink -- Jough]

2
As I sit in my classroom waiting for my students to arrive (I'm a high-school Spanish teacher), I can tell you that, yes indeed, it means "tortilla for [a] taco" and does make sense.  So there.

Education.

3
Achewood / Re: June 2, 2006: Look at the genius!
« on: June 02, 2006, 09:27:51 pm »
um so,
what exactly do black beans have to do with anything?

Clearly, he is referring to the infamous Black Bean Episode (http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/BB/qmb1.html), in which 176 fighters for Texan independence who had escaped a Mexican prison camp and been recaptured were sentenced to decimation by lottery.  They were ordered to draw out of a canvas bag filled with 176 beans, 17 of which were black.  The men who drew the black beans were executed by firing squad.  Those are some black beans.

I am a texan and a schoolteacher.  I am sorry about this.

4
And I love it whenever Beef does his Exactly, although offhand I think today's strip and this strip are the only occurrences.

Yeah, the exactly is one of those mannerisms that's so distinctive, colorful, and spot-on that I actually imagine it spoken aloud.  As for other appearances, there is this one, but I guess it depends on whether you count "exactly" sans italics.

5
Achewood / Re: March 21, 2006 - Doing a wheelie
« on: March 21, 2006, 08:24:00 pm »
Holy crap, of what is that skull made? It is hell of flammable. Brandy alone won't sustain that kind of deathsplosion, especially after two knuckleheads been drinking it down.

Alright, I've been holding off, but I feel I finally have something to contribute:

It's not a skull.  It's a plush toy lashed to the grille. 

For more on the bizarre phenomenon of cute and cuddly stuffed animals lashed to the front of tough men's trucks, see the New York Times article, "They're Soft and Cuddly, So Why Lash Them to the Front of a Truck?"  Here's an excerpt (don't read if you're annoyed by the overly long first post):

Quote
A bear with a prominent grease spot on his little beige nose spends his days wedged behind the bumper guard of an ironworker's pickup in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn. A fuzzy rabbit and a clown, garroted by a bungee cord, slump from the front of a Dodge van in Park Slope. Stewie, the evil baby from ''Family Guy,'' scowls from the grille of a Pepperidge Farm delivery truck in Brooklyn Heights, mold occasionally sprouting from his forehead.

All are soldiers in the tattered, scattered army of the stuffed: mostly discarded toys plucked from the trash and given new if punishing lives on the prows of large motor vehicles, their fluffy white guts flapping from burst seams and going gray in the soot-stream of a thousand exhaust pipes.

Grille-mounted stuffed animals form a compelling yet little-studied aspect of the urban streetscape, a traveling gallery of baldly transgressive public art. The time has come not just to praise them but to ask the big question. Why?

That is, why do a small percentage of trucks and vans have filthy plush toys lashed to their fronts, like prisoners at the mast? Are they someone's idea of a joke? Parking aids? Talismans against summonses?"

By ANDY NEWMAN (NYT) 1762 words
Published: November 13, 2005

Pages: [1]