Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Doc Benway

Pages: [1] 2
1
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Best music vid on youtube
« on: May 01, 2007, 11:44:51 am »
I submit this for appraisal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Pbyg_kcEk

2
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« on: May 01, 2007, 11:34:01 am »
Yeah, either On The Beach or Tonight's the Night I think is my favourite Neil Young album. Everybody Nows This Is Nowhere is great too, infact I think the only Neil Young Albums I'm not too fond of are Time Fades Away and some of the 80s stuff (Landing on Water, Trans etc)

3
Is there some sort of bizarre historical baseball motif going on here?

Cornelius => Connie Mack
Ray => ...Ray Chapman?

By Jove, I think you may have something there. Its been a while since we've had an afterlife-based arc, and the rest have been basically like treasure.

"The sound of the ball crashing into Chapman's skull was so loud that Mays thought it hit his bat, fielded the ball, and threw to first base." Jebus!

4
Achewood / Re: Apr.16.2007 - Chapter One.
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:51:36 am »
Just to add to the "Ray has latent tendencies" meme: Notice Ray had no problem writing an entire gay romance novel for Pat, but had to farm out the hetero gig.

I would imagine this is more for Beef's sake, not wanting him to think he'd been considering his lady in inappropriate ways (cf "Nice, not  my type").

5
Arts & Entertainment / Re: I've been dreading this day.
« on: April 13, 2007, 04:28:19 pm »
You should re-read those three, but you should also make sure to check out his non-fiction and Mother Night.

And The Sirens of Titan; a bit more traditional Sci-Fi than most of the others but still excellent and contains several ideas that Douglas Adam would employ later in HHGTTG.

Its a real loss...

6
The best shows I've seen in the last few years were Akron/Family and Shellac. I Love A/F's records but they are about 10 times better live, and Shellac played my a set that I might as well have hand-picked as it contained all of my favourite songs of theirs (including earlier stuff I really wasn't expecting to hear, such as Wingwalker and Billiard Player Song). Before that, Sonic Youth on the Murray Street tour was pretty awesome (the only time I've managed to get to see them), Neil Young's solo Greendale tour was great though truth be told I'd have rather seen him with Crazy hoss. I've seen the Flaming Lips about 8 times, and they've been great every time, but somehow I think it would be better if I'd only seen them once so that the show seemed more spontaneous, rather then knowing pretty much exactly what was going to happen each time.

7
Achewood / Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
« on: April 04, 2007, 07:31:25 pm »
This probably won't mean much to non-british people (which I guess is most of you), but Rod Huggins really reminds me of Jeremy Spake, whose naked body (even with junk tactfully hidden) is something i never, ever wanted to contemplate.

8
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
« on: March 23, 2007, 10:08:01 am »
So. Apparently for the Pitchfork Music Festival's opening, Sonic Youth are going to play all of Daydream Nation.
That sounds incredible! DN is one of my all-time favourite albums! Also, Yo La Tengo are great live, definitely worth $20 in my book.

9
Achewood / Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
« on: March 22, 2007, 05:02:32 pm »

I suspect Cornelius would have to fight against the urge to close caption it

10
Achewood / Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
« on: March 17, 2007, 12:09:09 pm »
What would be really amazing is if Ray were deeply hurt by this, and flew to Africa or something to prove to Leon that he is, in fact, a Rad Dude. Or if Ray converted to Christianity or something. That would be rude.
True, true. It would be like "Shaft in Africa" but, y'know, with a talking cat instead of Richard Roundtree, and a totally different plot... but other than that, identical!

11
Achewood / Re: March 2007 - in like a blog, out like a lamb
« on: March 14, 2007, 08:09:14 pm »
All the talk of Bacon has made me realise how much I miss bacon sandwiches w/HP sauce. Bacon seems to be near impossible to find out here in Switzerland except in lardon form. Next time I go back to the UK that is the first thing I am going to eat!

Also, is 'bolumpus' a new Ray-ism, or does it have prior usage? Sounds a little dumb even for Ray.

12
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Wilco - Sky Blue Sky - 'Til 7PM Pacific
« on: March 13, 2007, 07:40:58 pm »
Man, I love Wilco so much! I think I'm going to hold off on hearing anything from the new album until I can hold it physically in my hands and pore over the sleevenotes & lyrics while I'm listening to it though. I've seen leaked versions on various blogs but I can't bring myself to sneak a listen just yet.

13
This "Cornbread" of which you speak sounds pretty dang good. I love the fact Leon Sumbitches is getting so tired of explaining that he is in fact Brian Wheat, that he must come up with an acronym to convey said fact. This is probably the scammer equivalent of LMFAO or something.

14
Achewood / Re: Onstad's new "Achewood-Related" project?
« on: March 12, 2007, 10:15:49 pm »
This would also be how you would tell someone to turn onto 9th Street if you were in "Short Circuit 2".

You have just made my day!

15
Achewood / Re: Moichendising!
« on: March 09, 2007, 08:23:55 pm »
Can octopen even see colors?

Not according to wikipedia, they can see different polarizations of light but can't see why that would help. For me, the main issue is one of motivation; why in the name of all that is holy would an octopus WANT to solve a rubik's cube? Also, I should clarify - It is this dude's sincere belief that an octopus can solve a rubik's cube, I questioned him on it once and it was like I had insulted his religion! Also, the GOF poster is awesome, if only i had somewhere to put up a poster...

Pages: [1] 2