Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: March 2nd, 2006 - There are no side dishes  (Read 14472 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: March 2nd, 2006 - There are no side dishes
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2006, 02:47:14 pm »

stuff

merely state that people say things differently.

From now on I'm just going to quote this again whenever I have the urge to go all PhD in Linguistics on someone's ass.  Thank you, Hobot, for the therapy.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: March 2nd, 2006 - There are no side dishes
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2006, 03:27:47 pm »

It would be better if people would pronounce words in English correctly.

We need something like the French Academy to make and ENFORCE rules about how words are supposed to be pronounced.  It's a New World Order, after all.  Conform, fuckers.

I still have a bit of a Pennsyltucky accent despite living in VA for 17 years. So I always like to use m-w.com for my pronounciation arguments because they are ridiculously permissive when it comes to this for some reason. I mean, they list apprEciate and pro-nounce-iation as OK. That's just nuts.

I actually say the first one.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: March 2nd, 2006 - There are no side dishes
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2006, 08:28:34 pm »

Appreciate - uh PREE she ate.

That's how I pronounce it.  It's the only pronunciation in my dictionary.

How, um, do others pronounce it?  uh pree SEE ate?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: March 2nd, 2006 - There are no side dishes
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2006, 08:50:37 pm »

Appreciate - uh PREE she ate.

That's how I pronounce it. 

Me too.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: March 2nd, 2006 - There are no side dishes
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2006, 08:50:48 pm »

yes. I am pretty sure that is how you say it.
so. um.

maybe "ah-prikk-eee-ate"?
"agh-price-eee-ate"?
"augh-priest-ti-ate"?
"oh-pre-she-at"?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: March 2nd, 2006 - There are no side dishes
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2006, 10:23:54 pm »

d'oh, I typed it wrong. I say it with a short i sound instead of a long e.
Logged

nuero

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 105
    • View Profile
Re: March 2nd, 2006 - There are no side dishes
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2006, 01:22:19 am »

Didn't see anything about this on here yet.

Volume VI coming soon!

Edit: Whoops, I meant to post this in the newest thread, and this was the most recently updated. Sorry.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 02:02:37 am by nuero »
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Re: March 2nd, 2006 - There are no side dishes
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2006, 03:28:05 am »

Thoughts about the strip while waiting for the next strip:

Did anyone else read "He knew I was BOC." as BÖC, or Blue Öyster Cult?
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: March 2nd, 2006 - There are no side dishes
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2006, 03:32:43 am »

Thoughts about the strip while waiting for the next strip:

Did anyone else read "He knew I was BOC." as BÖC, or Blue Öyster Cult?

I have made this amusing mistake before, yes.  And it reminds me of that episode of "The Simpsons" in which Judge Harm tells Homer, "I'm familiar with BÖC."
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up