Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sociology 101  (Read 16346 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Baby updates - ongoing
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2006, 08:01:03 pm »

Um, "negro" isn't offensive.  It's the name of the race from which African Americans (or African Canadians, or whatever) are ethnically founded. 

White people are Caucasians (or occidentals).  Black people are negroes.  Chinese people are orientals.  Am I missing something?

I go with Negroid, Caucasoid and Mongoloid because it makes humans sound like we're descended from robo-dinosaurs. 

My bleeding-heart GF gets hella pissed when I refer to our Chinese, Japanese and Korean friends as "Orientals."  "Rugs are oriental," she tells me, "not people."  Then I'm all like "Shut up, you blue-eyed Kraut" and then she sees that deep within my coal-black heart a tiny ember of Sensitivity still smolders.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Sociology 101
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2006, 12:55:32 am »

Hobot: I am, indeed, 17. For like 1 more month.

Also: thank you. My goal is basically to be a pretentious indie musician.

the main reason I look like that is that my girlfriend aspires to be a photographer. she makes everything look pretentiously arty.


Is today "tell theinevitable that he is cute"... day... err... period of several days?

anyway: thank you. it is nice to hear that I am considered nice looking.

...as long as Hobot keeps wearing the "HUGS" shirt.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Sociology 101
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2006, 06:59:17 pm »

Why should I change what I say just because you don't like it?

because you don't want to continue to alienate those around you anymore?

or,
you'd like to stop hurting those you, hypothetically, care about?

the really _neat_ thing about being a functioning member of a society,
is that life stops being completely about yourself and begins to involve
other people.

i tried it once, it was grand.

Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Sociology 101
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2006, 09:12:29 pm »

I only hurt the ones I love.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Sociology 101
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2006, 05:40:35 am »

Actually I think that is basically the purpose of this entire message board.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up