Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pink Floyd does/does not suck  (Read 3590 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 05:58:27 am »

dude hobot is like 19. She was in highschool pretty recently.

Hobe: you were a stoner? fo' real? man.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 10:11:21 am »

(originally, accidentally posted in the wrong thread):


RIP SYD BARRETT - SOYCD





Fuck all that.



I used to listen to heavy metal/speed metal, and then Pink Floyd's music AWOKEN ME FROM A RETARDED SLUMBER WHICH I CAN NOT EVEN DREAM ABOUT RETURNING TO.

I didn't grow up with any Floyd (my parents only seemed to play Beach Boys and own John Cougar Mellencamp albums), but even before I ever consumed any hallucinogen, there was something about Pink Floyd that was mesmerizing.

The band was a perfect extension of the ideas that Syd Barrett planted.  Were they more interesting with him?  Perhaps I would agree with that.  Perhaps.  But comparing the two things is like comparing the modern olympics with the ancient olympics where the runner up would be executed.


















(up until The Wall.  Wall is like marching band music.  Movie is good, though.  Concert was probably unreal, I can't confirm.) 
 

 And, man... I can't understand how anyone could hate on David Gilmour.  The man can take every single note that motown/soul has ever recorded and reproduce it in one single note on the guitar.  If you cannot hear that, then, I'm sorry, but you are deprived.
Logged
ACHIEVE

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 10:19:53 am »

Only a few years ago, I dealt with numerous high school stoners and not one of them were even close to owning a tie-dyed piece of clothing.

Then again, I went to high school in New York.  I've visited kids in Jersey who are dangerously close to adorning tie-dye apparel.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 12:01:07 pm »

my friend who is a stereotypical "stoner" type, but does not actually do drugs, wears tie-dye.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 02:02:04 pm »

CONFESSION:  I made up the part about stoners wearing tie-dye.  I couldn't think of a better way to convey the idea of moronic deadbeats, so I dipped into the annals of fashion history and brought forth the unholy style of tie-dyed clothing. 

Yes, theinevitable, I was basically a stoner in 9th and 10th grade.  Those of you who frequented the channel back in the day when I was still a regular contributor to discussions may recall my mentioning of my Fuck-Up Years; these are the years of which I spoke.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 02:32:46 pm »

But I do see Youth wearing tie-dye. Perhaps this does not correlate with stonerhood but still, people, tie-dye was ugly the first time around.  Let it rest in peace.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 06:01:45 pm »

Confession: Hobot was all talking about drastic changes since her early high school days, and I thought it took a while to make drastic changes, guess not.  Sorry, if you are 19 you were in high school more recently than me, by 1 or 2 years.

Other Confession:  I wasn't lying, people still wear tie dye, well at least were I am.  In college it kind of went away, though I still see it on campus from time to time.  Also, I lived in middle America in the place that could like define the suburbs.  That, I think, is where the current tie dye trend is most prevalent.  Actually, I was up in Boulder, CO for two weeks at the beginning of this current summer and saw many a tie dye shirt.  Also, lots of like restaurants (shitty restaurants) give out like restaurant shirts around here, and most of them have one with a tie dye pattern.

3rd Confession: I was a "stoner idiot" in like 9th grade, without ever smoking pot.  I wore tie dye and whatnot because my two cousins were like a year and two years ahead of my at the same high school and both were very popular and did it.  However, about a month after I started smoking pot I realized that that was stupid.  Then you could still tell I was a stoner probably (especially if you smelled me), but it would not be obvious based on retarded stuff like the clothes I was wearing and what not.  Actually, my grade was fairly clean cut, with loads of pot heads.  I had a white afro, so I was the only one that attracted the squares attention I guess.  What I did about this was outperform them at virtually everything.  I got valedictorian, was friends with pretty much every cool group of people in the school and worked 30- 40 hours a week.  Actually, my later years my be what Hobot is describing as the stereotypical high school idiot, as it definitely changes from region to region and school to school I am sure.  But yea, I am totally still into expanding my astral plane of consciousness.

Just since I brought it up, just yesterday, some group at John Hopkins released a study that mushrooms leave a person with a since of well being above what the non-mushroom taking group can achieve (I saw this on a late night show, so I cannot document it) and this other study involving peyote showed that

 "61 members of the Native American Church who regularly ate peyote, 36 alcoholics who have been dry for at least two months and 79 people who reported little or no use of alcohol or drugs. The researchers then gave mental-health and cognitive tests to the subjects.

Only the alcoholics showed signs of brain problems. On the psychological front, Native American peyote users were actually in better shape emotionally than those who didn't use the drug."

so there you go. 

Sorry, that was from http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,69477,00.html
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 06:58:56 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up