Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pink Floyd does/does not suck  (Read 3593 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« on: July 11, 2006, 11:47:46 pm »

As promised.  Knock yourself out.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 11:48:53 pm »

I suggest moving the offending posts here as well, and deleting this one. Just a suggestion, though.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 11:56:22 pm »

What! No Poll?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 12:02:27 am »

As somebody with no opinion on the subject of Pink Floyd at any period during their career, I am offended by this thread's false dichotomy.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 12:03:13 am »

I am offended by Ben's giving us other apathetic bastards a bad name with his stance-taking.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 12:08:09 am »

Just to clear it up, you asked me nicely, while Paul made a series of arguments in a negative tone that I disagreed with.  Also that were arguable, which is what I did.  I don't think being a moderator of a forum gives you the right to win arguments by default, sorry.  All I am trying to say is that you can't tell someone to stop arguing while getting the upper hand in the argument at the same time.

I would be for moving those post here if I am still allowed to have an opinion.  I guess I can edit out the relatively mundane comment in my first post. 

But just overall, you can't argue with someone and order them to quit arguing in the same post, no matter who you are.


Edit: Seriously, if you look at the other thread, Slink (also a moderator) said something, Paul disagreed (start of the argument) and said you were wrong if you did not agree with him.  Next, I said what I believed, with you asking me nicely to stop and Paul quoting me as "Some obnoxious BS".  I then defended my side, which he answered to by calling me low-class.  He then got to my argument, which is that Pink Floyd was basically Syd Barrett.  I then said that he came up with the name and wrote the lyrics and most of the music.  He then said some other stuff that was dead wrong for their English market of fans.  I corrected that and said it was my last post on the subject, then I posted another one, but it was basically in the same process and a finisher of the first post.  Then the argument was over, and this thread happened after you telling me to fuck myself.

Basically you can usually tell the asshole of an argument by who uses ad hominem attacks, and I didn't use one (I think this might be one, though).

Edit 2:  Also, how does a Syd Barrett thread have so much importance to you?  I have been celebrating his work all day, and can pretty much guarantee that I am a bigger fan of his than all but 1 or 2 people on this board, but I still can't understand why you or Syd Barrett or Syd Barrett's family would care about people arguing over whether Pink Floyd was better with or without Syd Barrett on a message board on the internet. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 12:34:07 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 12:25:24 am »

People, this is nuts.  There's no point in arguing about whether music sucks.  It's a matter of taste.  Well, OK, with certain exceptions perhaps... but seriously.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 01:08:36 am »

Pink Floyd with Syd Barrett: less popular and wildly over-rated.

Pink Floyd without Syd Barrett: very popular and wildly over-rated.

Pink Floyd without Roger Waters: somewhat less popular before and not wildly over-rated, because no one likes it as much as the previous two eras.

Limmo: a uniter, not a divider.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 01:40:08 am »

This was a fun thread to read before noticing the existence of the thread it references!  For a few posts there, I thought you were discussing this Pink Floyd thread.

To address KeithHernandez's point that Pink Floyd's "later shit" is "like the stereotypical high school stoner idiot music," I can say that, as a former high school stoner (9th & 10th grade, y'all; I have since transformed into the polar opposite of myself from that time, for those of you who are keeping up), Syd Barrett's music is also deserving of this label.  In fact, my love of Pink Floyd has carried through my drastic changes in appearance, attitude, and personality, but my interest in Barrett has not.  If anything, I think that Barrett is the one who made the kind of music that only people wearing tie-dye and headbands who are babbling about expanding their astral plane of consciousness can enjoy.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 02:29:25 am »

Well, being in High School more recently, I can tell you that your version of the High School Stoner Idiot is not the same as mine.  My version wears the tie dye and all that, but isn't smart enough to even conceive

expanding their astral plane of consciousness

they just smoke to be cool and listen to late Pink Floyd and the Grateful Dead.  Not to say that stoners in high school don't listen to Syd Barrett, just not the stereotypical ones, or my view of the stereotypical ones.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 02:39:54 am »

Can I just say how much it depresses me to hear that high school stoners wear tie-dye?  I mean, if You Kids Today don't have any original ideas and have to steal from the past, at least make an effort.  Like, it's been a long time since powdered wigs were in fashion.  Wouldn't that make a statement? Like "I am too stoned to wash my hair so I wear this wig instead"?  Come on, people, use your imaginations!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 02:57:31 am »

Can I just say how much it depresses me to hear that high school stoners wear tie-dye?  I mean, if You Kids Today don't have any original ideas and have to steal from the past, at least make an effort.  Like, it's been a long time since powdered wigs were in fashion.  Wouldn't that make a statement? Like "I am too stoned to wash my hair so I wear this wig instead"?  Come on, people, use your imaginations!

Put on your culottes, pop in the monocle and spark one up!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 03:48:43 am »

I sorta like Dark Side of the Moon and maybe three or four songs on The Wall.

So do I think they suck?  No.  Do I think they definitely do not suck?  Nope.

I just don't really spend much time thinking about Pink Floyd.  I really liked Barrett's first solo album, though.  I forgot that I lost the CD to an ex, so I'm trying to... procure a copy to listen to it in memorial.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 03:52:39 am »

Put on your culottes, pop in the monocle and spark one up!

No, no, use the Snuffbox!
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd does/does not suck
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 05:35:39 am »

I really liked Barrett's first solo album, though.  I forgot that I lost the CD to an ex, so I'm trying to... procure a copy to listen to it in memorial.


Once they are dead downloading is fair game in my opinion.  Or if you have seen them live, as that pretty much is more than you would give them by buying like 5-8 cd's.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up