Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 22nd of November, 2006 - I also ain't got an Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!  (Read 5542 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 22nd of November, 2006 - I also ain't got an Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 08:06:11 pm »

I enjoyed imagining the creative process behind this strip, realizing that...

Mr. Onstad probably had to actually consider what sort of stuff Ray fictionally owns.

He probably actually does own the means of communicating, for example, in the manner of Native Americans.

He probably does own a great many drums. He probably owns the equipment for smoke signals and probably signed up for classes once, while stoned, and then got a call weeks later asking why he never showed up to the classes he didn't remember enrolling himself in.

He probably owns a carrier pidgeon in some sort of zoo for endangered and presumed-extinct speeches that... he doesn't really think that much of but bought and stocked in rich-guy dick-swinging contest.

The internal logic of a Ray joke is a strange beast and I like to believe that I'm not the only one crazy enough to consider it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd of November, 2006 - I also ain't got an Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 08:06:52 pm »

I also want them to be able to save my life if the power's out.

Valid point. But if the power's out you're probably screwed in more ways than just not being able to access hypothetical computerized medical records.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: 22nd of November, 2006 - I also ain't got an Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 08:23:02 pm »

Thirdly, polio is probably hugely back in fashion in the developing world although I didnt check this.

This is incorrect.  Due to the effectiveness of the oral polio vaccine, developed six years after Salk's inactivated vaccine, polio's existence is steadily dissipating in developing countries.  This is because after administering the oral, "live" vaccine, virus particles are shed for several days in the immunee's feces.  These particles then act as booster vaccines to the people that come in contact with the person who has received the immunization.

The current practice in developing countries is for health care officials to intervene and vaccinate young children with the oral vaccine, effectively vaccinating the child's parents and hopefully others as well.  Salk's inactivated vaccine, which is given by intramuscular injection, does not exhibit this bi-lateral vaccination phenomenon.  However, it is safer to give in patients with compromised immune systems, such as AIDS patients and transplantees on immunosupressive drugs.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd of November, 2006 - I also ain't got an Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 08:44:04 pm »

Good point. I'm actually surprised Ray doesn't own a falcon, SUPPOSEDLY.

He was going to buy one once but realized Pat would never shut up about it and bought an owl instead.
Logged

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd of November, 2006 - I also ain't got an Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 09:11:53 pm »

I also thought:  after the vasectomy, if I have to come in here and give a sample, I could ask to borrow his laptop for a few minutes.

!GENIUS!
Logged
We must repeat!

Ketamine One

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd of November, 2006 - I also ain't got an Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 10:32:29 pm »

Modern faxes are basically just computer chips slapped onto combination printer/scanners.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd of November, 2006 - I also ain't got an Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2006, 04:16:19 am »

Isn't the level of paperwork required for silly things just...retarded? It's like our litigious society is so terrified of someone accomplishing a transfer in a non-cumbersome manner that we're all crippled by ridiculous, Byzantine rules. I hate it.

I tried to get my medical records sent up to Alaska from my doctor in Colorado. Talk about retarded. II ended up saying "Fuck You" and just leaving them there because it was such a goddamned hassle. 'm sure that Onstad had to deal with something similar.

I love this strip, it's now one of my favorites.

The sad part is that all of that trouble was caused by something called the Health Insurance Portability and Accessability Act. Which sounds good but it's basiclly 35 pages of extremely strict privacy rules designed to make impossible for your doctor to ever tell anybody anything about you. Even if you say it's OK. It's also why a lot of pharmacies started putting up signs saying the next person in line has to wait like 5 feet back.
Logged

innes

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • thanks awfully
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd of November, 2006 - I also ain't got an Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2006, 12:36:58 pm »

This is incorrect.  <detailed polio vaccination information that did not appear to be plagiarised after cursory googling>


That'll teach me to speculate on a virally induced infectious disease which spreads via the fecal-oral route without even so much as a desultory glance at Wikipedia.


Informedness.





Logged

innes

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • thanks awfully
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd of November, 2006 - I also ain't got an Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2006, 12:43:25 pm »

He was going to buy one once but realized Pat would never shut up about it and bought an owl instead.

Finest Raptor Meat Company
"From Eyrie to Plate in 12 hours."(tm)
Prop. R Smuckles.

http://www.endangeredmeats.com/raptorstore/buy.aspx?item=falcon;delivery=12-hour-heli

Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 22nd of November, 2006 - I also ain't got an Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2006, 03:00:46 pm »

It's also why a lot of pharmacies started putting up signs saying the next person in line has to wait like 5 feet back.

Don't you love this?  Doesn't it make you feel safe, and private? My phone may be wiretapped but dang it, no one is going to look over my shoulder and see that I am picking up allergy pills. Our federal government, bless its heart.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up