Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuck...insomnia!  (Read 4456 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 05:13:02 am »

I just read a big ol' thing for psych about how ours is the only culture in the world in which parents don't sleep with their children.

To Sum Up:
Developmental Psych is the coolest thing ever
a lot of things we do in the West in terms of child-rearing are really dumb. so dumb.

I also learned that humans are the only species that has a problem with being "too smart for our own good."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 05:38:40 am »

I just read a big ol' thing for psych about how ours is the only culture in the world in which parents don't sleep with their children.

That is something that I think about A LOT. I want my child to feel secure at night, but then again I'm also loathe to ponder 12 years of no sex between me and my future spouse. Also, sometimes chilluns wet the bed, and that's no fun if you're in the bed when they pee. As rough as it was for me to sleep by myself, our younger sister never seemed to have a problem with it, ever. I hope that if I have a singleton child as opposed to twins that they will be okay with sleeping in their own room.

Basically...I think I'm probably going to put Junior in a room down the hall with a baby monitor during infancy. It might be rough when he or she is a newborn; i.e. getting up a million times during the night and walking down the hall for feedings, but later on the child will come to accept that it is normal for the parental door to be locked. Privacy is important.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 05:49:28 am »

I really enjoyed that the book said "Western females typically bring up Intimate Relations with their Husband as being a prime issue."

I mean... I'm sure people in every other culture in the world have just as much sex as we do.

I'm surprised my mom didn't try this shit with me, considering I was basically Experiment Child. I played with dolls, and was raised equally by both parents, and smoked pot as a baby and stuff.

OK, maybe one of those is a lie.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 08:13:26 am »

maybe one of those is a lie.

Yeah, everyone says it but no two parents really play an equal part in child rearing.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 09:04:55 am »

I would actually say that most parents play an equal part (at least where I am from), but not in an asexual way, which is what I thought theinev was trying to get across.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 04:25:13 pm »

well, my parents raised me dually moreso than most parents. Out of my siblings, I was the only one to be as strongly attached to my dad as to my mom, as my mom didn't go to work after getting her PhD., and had my brother. Before that I was fed, cared for, changed, etc. roughly equally by both parents.

Of course after that, my dad started going to England for weeks at a time on business every month. So that got screwed up fast.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up