Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Villian in Spiderman 3  (Read 9437 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Skillator

  • Guest
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2005, 09:06:20 pm »

This is what I'm saying. I love the guy, I think he does great work but he really didn't seem to be feeling that character. I kept just hoping that he would suddenly turn it on and it would be like "oh yeah!" and he would start being awesome the way I know he is but it just didn't happen.

This is why I noted it because it was so unusual.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2008, 12:02:50 pm »

I hope it's not Venom.  So far they have basically told the story from the beginning, it wouldn't make sense to jump 30 years ahead, at least it doesn't make sense to me.  Oddly though, the other villian thats highest on my list behind The Lizard would have to be The Vulture and he's not even mentioned in the story. Sandman, Electro*, and Scorpion** are all second rate villians that Spidey can beat without trying.  He can beat all three of those guys together without breaking a sweat.  Carnage is a poor mans Venom and Hobgoblin is a poor mans Green Goblin so there's no way it will be any of them.

I apologise for this obscene bit of thread necromancy but I randomly read Paul's first post and couldn't stop laughing when compared to the actual movie. Really shows the disconnect between the people making movies and the comic fanbase.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2008, 12:59:05 pm »

It's still not as off-base as Spidey trading away his marriage to the Fake Devil from Outer Space.

I know I've ranted about this before but... good Lord... so bad. So badly written.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2008, 01:43:18 pm »

Yeah I guess maybe it's wrong to blame the movie guys, I guess the entire editorial staff basically misunderstand their fan base.
'Misunderstand' was substituted for 'have nothing but contempt for' because I'm trying hard not to be that guy.

Spiderman 4 villian: Joe Quesada.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2008, 07:15:50 am »

I'm still holding out for the 60's cartoon-style Electro - even back when I saw this show when I was a kid, I knew that dude was just preposterous.  Perposterous!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2008, 06:03:15 am »

I apologise for this obscene bit of thread necromancy but I randomly read Paul's first post and couldn't stop laughing when compared to the actual movie. Really shows the disconnect between the people making movies and the comic fanbase.

Yeah Spiderman 3 sucked sweaty balls.  Not so much that they used rank villans, but they totally revamped Peter Parker's personality. The Peter Parker I grew up reading would have never behaved like that.  They turned him into an asshole.

I FINALLY quit reading Spiderman in disgust when we discovered that he was a clone.  When his long dead parents showed up I got weak in the knees, but when it was discovered that Mary Jane was married to a clone, that was the knock out punch for me.

So I'm pretty unfazed to learn that he and Mary Jane are getting a divorce.  I mean why not.

Oh well, at least I've got the first 25 years of the magazine and the first two movies. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2008, 06:21:53 am »

They're not getting divorced, though.

That would at least make sense with Spidey's hard-luck semi-realistic personal life.

The Fake Devil From Outer Space magically erased their marriage from ever happening at all as the price exacted for giving Spider-Man's terminally-ill 130 year old aunt alive for another year or two.

The Fake Devil From Outer Space didn't want his soul... he wanted to UNDERMINE THE SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE! WOOOOOOO!

Like, seriously. The clone stuff was lame as hell but at least it followed the basic rules of prior Spidey stories, hanging out with mad scientists all the time and fightin' em and whatnot.

What happened this time around violated BOTH the street-levelness of Spider-Man's usual battles as a common-man kinda hero who mostly battled thieves and science-freaks and dudes on hoverboards... AND the fact that his whole deal was about taking responsibility for his actions.

In one fell swoop, he was both completely childishly ridiculously irresponsible AND dealing with a cosmic being who generally pretends to be the devil while fighting the fuckin' Silver Surfer and...

Yeah.

As poorly executed as the clone thing was, oh man. Oh man.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2008, 10:27:55 am »

But wasn't he not a clone in the end? I thought in the end it turned out it was all (and by all I mean the last 30 goddamn years) a plot by Norman Obsorne and making him think he was a clone was just a huge fake-out?
The above is basically why I don't read superhero comics with ongoing continuity by the way. Though I did kind of like the Scarlet Spider, though on reflection basically because they took Peter Parker and gave him (more) angst, so basically I like the scarlet spider because he's more like batman.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2008, 04:13:54 pm »

Seriously, this is why Ultimate Spiderman sells. Sometimes people just want their character back from all of the convoluted continuity mess.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up