Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Villian in Spiderman 3  (Read 9473 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« on: March 24, 2005, 05:25:57 am »

I just read this story telling that Thomas Hayden Church has signed on as a villian in the next Spiderman movie.  Mums the word on which villian he is to play.  In my opinion it's a no brainer that Spidey's next foe should be The Lizard, but there is already an actor playing that role as introduced in the last movie.  According to the Story...
Quote from: "Yahoo"
When news of Church's casting hit the Web Tuesday, Spidey fans began spinning the possibilities of which foe he might play.

Chief on the wish list is Venom, Spider-Man's alien alter ego who emerges when Parker's new experimental suit goes haywire.

Other hotly rumored rogues include: Sandman, Electro, Scorpion, Carnage and Hobgoblin.

I hope it's not Venom.  So far they have basically told the story from the beginning, it wouldn't make sense to jump 30 years ahead, at least it doesn't make sense to me.  Oddly though, the other villian thats highest on my list behind The Lizard would have to be The Vulture and he's not even mentioned in the story.  Sandman, Electro*, and Scorpion** are all second rate villians that Spidey can beat without trying.  He can beat all three of those guys together without breaking a sweat.  Carnage is a poor mans Venom and Hobgoblin is a poor mans Green Goblin so there's no way it will be any of them.

So who do you think it will be?

~Paul

* Might as well throw in the Shocker while your at it.

**Actually Scorpion is pretty tough, but he's too tied up with Jameson's all consuming hatred of Spiderman and the movie version of the Jameson character is not as evil or insane as the print version.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 05:29:17 am »

Good on Thomas Hayden Church.  I was hoping his scene-stealing performance in Sideways would get him more work.  He was the funniest thing on Wings.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 05:48:02 am »

Quote from: "jough"
I was hoping his scene-stealing performance in Sideways would get him more work.

I totally agree, he was great in Sideways, funny as all get out.

Quote from: "jough"
He was the funniest thing on Wings.

Everything about Wings was funny so that's really saying a lot.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 06:44:30 am »

Hmmm, I dunno. It seemed pretty obvious that Hobgoblin was going to be there, but since he sucks, no sweat there. I actually really like Venom, and it would match up with the cartoon backstory if Jameson's son brought back the moon rock that would hold the symbiote that would attach to Eddie Brock. But the Lizard would be cool too, but the backstory seems a bit too close to Dr. Octopus (well-meaning scientist goes nuts) for them to bring him into the mix.
Whatever. If Spiderman 2 is any indication, 3 should be awesome, although, of course, past performance does not indicate, etc.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 07:17:31 am »

So why exactly hasn't anyone mentioned Mysterio?
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 07:32:03 am »

Oh yeah Mysterio.  I meant to mention Mysterio, but forgot.  He's a great villian and Hollywood could really have a ball with his particular "powers."  I was gonna say though that I didn't think they would hire a name star to play a character whose head is basically a huge crystal ball.  Ya gotta admit, Mysterio's costume is righteously lame.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 08:26:32 am »

I dunno, how is it less likely than a role where he's buried beneath lizard makeup or replaced by a CGI symbiote thing?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 02:02:42 pm »

Quote from: "Ben-san"
I dunno, how is it less likely than a role where he's buried beneath lizard makeup or replaced by a CGI symbiote thing?

Venom often "unmasks" when no innocents are around which could be a selling point for whoever they get to play the part. Supposedly the reason Spidey spent so much of 2 with his mask off was that Toby pitched a fit about not getting enough credit for the part since people could see him emote or tell him apart from the CGI.

He doesn't look like Eddie Brock at all. Plus that's a two-movie storyline right there, kind of like they're doing w/ Dark Phoenix in X-Men. I think that 3 could include Peter pissing off Eddie and finding the symbiote but Venom would have to wait until 4 to appear. And there's no Carnage without Venom.

I think Scorpion is too much like Doc Oc for the masses what with the prehensile cybernetic body part. He's not old enough to play Vulture and that would make the Aunt May sexual tension extra creepy. Guys like Shocker and Hydro just seem so low-rent for the movie.

The best suggestion I've heard thus far is Kraven, assuming he can do the accent.
Logged

Skillator

  • Guest
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 05:33:34 pm »

KRAVEN THE MOTHERFUCKIN' HUNTER!
pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease make it Kraven the hunter.
Apparently there are 2 bad guys in this one and Black cat will likey show up.
They keep using Rhino and the Shocker in the videogames and I think that's where they'll stay.
Kraven is just the best in my humble opinion and although I would love to see a sandman, the cg would be fairly ridiculous and he's no more than a thug for storyline.
As much as I love the vulture, he's crap. "Oooh look at you, you fly and you're old. Please stop robbing the city."
Venom has story, mysterio would have a pretty good story to tell, hobgoblin would be interesting, but how about Scorpion? He's pretty cool, it would bring Jameson into the big picture and it would be a real fight worth watching.
So my vote is for scorpion and / or Kraven.
Whatever it is, it ought to be pretty neat. Maybe they could bring back Doc Ock and do that storyline where Aunt May marries him!
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 06:04:41 pm »

Expectations are high because the first movie was the best superhero movie ever until the second one topped it.*

I don't care who the villian is, I trust all the wonderful souls in Los Angeles who are responsibility for bringing us our entertainment.  Bless you entertainment industry.

~Paul

*My opinion may be colored by the fact that I love Spiderman way more than any other superhero.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 07:40:05 pm »

the second movie was absolutely terrible.  the first one was all right, though.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 07:56:59 pm »

Erggh, I actually wasn't that big a fan of the first one, but the second one blew my mind.

WHOA! Some people like certain movies, and other people don't!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 08:12:48 pm »

If it were Mysterio they'd definitely redo the costume so you could see his eyes, like they did with Green Goblin.  His PowerRanger mask had eye-holes that opened.

Rules for Superhero Movies

1. Don't show the villain's origin story.  Often in the books they're just bad guys with a weird angle.  There's no need to meet Doc Ock's wife or to see DaFoe with his shirt off.

2. Don't kill the villain.  They never kill them in the books, but Batman killed the Joker in movie 1.  Problematic.

3. Stop having the villain kidnap the hero's family or girlfriend.  8 million people in New York and Aunt May and Mary Jane are always the ones that get it.

4. Don't film the Fantastic Four.  They're just silly looking in real life.

I enjoyed both X-Men movies and both Spiderman movies, although the second was a bit angsty.  I am hellaciously looking forward to Sin City in April and Batman Begins sometime thereafter.  Scarecrow is the villain in Batman.  How cool is that?
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 08:15:03 pm »

A lot of people have been saying Sandman. I'm sure they could find some way to make him a formidable enemy.

I'm already worried that this movie will be introducing too much. Black Cat, new villain, unresolved Hobgoblin threads, possible beginning of Venom storyline...not to mention 3 is where series tend to start going bad. And really, how many Spiderman movies do we need?
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 08:55:03 pm »

I fear that they'd mess up Black Cat in the same way they did Elektra (ie forgetting she was in the villains section of the trading cards)

Also Kraven is his own backstory. Hunter seeking challenging prey. There, I just explained it in 2 seconds.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up