Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Open Letter to Greeting Card Companies  (Read 16888 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Open Letter to Greeting Card Companies
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2003, 03:53:10 am »

heh.

I'm with the people who reached the McSweeny's conclusion.  Funny that.  Man, McSweeny's can be great, but when it isnt, it is just vastly saddening.  This is much the same idea.  We have all seen the lofty hights onstad's work can reach, and this aint it.
Logged
goose means greedy

Kelly

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/kviva59/Artworks_by_Kelly_Vivanco.html
Open Letter to Greeting Card Companies
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2003, 10:10:57 pm »

Quote from: "I Am Not Creative"
I agreed with everything he said in the letter, but don't know how I feel about the "Variety Hour" itself. I get the feeling Onstad may be developing Achewood to be more of an online humor magazine than just a comic. Hence the theme days. He was involved in such things in the past; it could be something he really wanted to pursue.

In keeping with today's comic, I am getting a tad sick of Ray. The joke is wearing a bit thin, so the Variety Hour may prove to be a nice distraction.


I pretty much thought the same thing. I was not moved by the 'Open Letter' but will give it  time to warm up. I was wondering if the ideas behind "Ray's Place" and the "Variety Hour" were put into strip form (like the regular Achewood strip), would they be funnier? I think they would. I wonder if it is just too much of a pain in the ass to illustrate a new strip every day of the week. It seems like each letter and column that Onstad writes could be funneled into a weeks worth of strips. Maybe he just likes the variety.
Logged

I Am Not Creative

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/scirillo
Open Letter to Greeting Card Companies
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2003, 12:06:01 am »

A lot of you are getting on rsteven's case for it's not being as ... I dunno ... versatile as Achewood. True, but I never thought that was r's aim. Maybe DS isn't everyone's cup of tea, but you gotta say something for the guy who has put out a daily comic every day for three years. Not every one's a winner, but they all exhibit a certain level of quality. I don't feel I can say that about Achewood, which has not gone for as long and does not have the same consistency. Why is it every time Onstad skips a comic I feel like it's my fault? That's just not right. If he wants to do something different with his site, then so be it. But these changes, and columns, and sometimes lame comics are beginning to try my patience.

And to get back on topic (uh ... sort of): Shopping for a father's day card is unbearable. Not every dad golfs, sucks at handyman work, is a walking ATM or is a lazy slob who sits in front of the television all day. This leaves me with very few options for father's day, and frankly, sometimes I just skip the card.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up