Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pirates of the Carribean  (Read 6347 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Pirates of the Carribean
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2003, 05:16:00 pm »

I didn't see this.  I'm holding out for the movie based on Mr Toad's Wild Ride.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Pirates of the Carribean
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2003, 06:20:02 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
I didn't see this.  I'm holding out for the movie based on Mr Toad's Wild Ride.

See, this is the idea that honestly terrifies me: the idea that they'll take Disney(land/world) rides based on features and end up making strange, derivative, parasitic-twin features about the rides. It's like what happened with "Jumanji" -- you got board games based on a movie that was based on a book about an imaginary board game. Had there been a book written about the movie tie-in game, it would have reached a near-ouroborous of pop-cultural incest, with resulting flipper babies.

Anyway, to get more back on-topic... yeah, you can't really heap enough praise on Johnny Depp in this movie. However sexy or unsexy you may find him, Jack Sparrow is a remarkably complicated role, especially for a Disney comedy/action movie; Depp layers eccentricities on pathologies remarkably well. All props.
Logged

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
PotC
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2003, 08:16:40 pm »

Sparrow has effeminate mannerisms, and is ‘camp’ (if I may quote), therefore giving his role sexual ambiguity, but his general orientation is hetero. Of course his partners’ genders are irrelevent to a pirate who lives by the Law o‘ the Sea.

Keith Richards was hella sexy until about 1972. No more.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Pirates of the Carribean
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2003, 01:10:13 am »

Wow, and I passed on seeing this film over the weekend to attend an outdoor screening of "Willy Wonka"*.  The things I miss out on.  However, I'm guessing that zombie pirates are not to be missed.

*In all honesty, I'd never seen "Willy Wonka" before, and my gf insisted we go.  I think she probably made the right call.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up