Arr.
I saw Pirates of the Carribean last night, and would like opinions on three things:
1) Did you like the movie?
2) Was Johnny Depp's character (Jack Sparrow) drunk, homosexual, insane, or a combination of the three?
3) There is another Disney film coming out that is also based on a Disneyworld/Land ride, The Haunted Mansion. Does this represent a disturbing new trend* of using fillmmaking to elaborate on things that have no intrinsic storyline? Will we see a Mad Tea Party film in '05?
I liked this movie a lot. It was not the Next Great Film of Our Time, but it was fun and entertaining. Things exploded, people died, and it involved zombie pirates and a monkey. Also, all three protagonists were attractive. My sister-in-law and I were talking about Capt. Sparrow's "thing he does" -- that wavering, sort of femmy hand gesture he makes throughout the film, and also his mincing boot-step in certain scenes, and decided that in spite of the fact that it's a little creepy, we both found Johnny Depp, The Crazy Gay Pirate unnervingly sexy. More so than Legolas the Noble Pirate Blacksmith, even. (Yes, I know his real name is Orlando Bloom. He'll always be Legolas to me.)
The thing that freaks me out is the trailer I saw for the Haunted Mansion movie. Don't get me wrong, I loved this ride as a kid, but it seems odd that they're making movies out of theme park attractions all of a sudden. Never having ridden Pirates of the Carribean, I can't say what the relationship is between the ride and the film; maybe someone else can? At any rate, from the trailer, the Haunted Mansion seems like it's going to be well-done, but I can see this genre of ride-based films going downhill faster than you can say "Space Mountain."
*Purists will demand that I cite 3 instances in order to to signify a trend. To you, then, I submit The Country Bears Jamboree.