Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drugs: Still Bad  (Read 9271 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2006, 02:33:07 pm »

No, no, it's actually possible to break your cells with too much water.  I'd CJ it, but I'll leave that to the pros.

WE TALKED ABOUT THIS

Quote from: Cecil Adams
Is it possible to drink too much water? Several comedians found it necessary to comment: Sure, you could drown! But the fact is, in extreme circumstances too much water can kill you, even if all you do is drink it. Kelly Barrett, a 43-year-old pediatric dentist from Littleton, Colorado, died of a condition known as hyponatremia after drinking too much water during the 1998 Chicago marathon. Hyponatremia, AKA water intoxication, occurs when the body's salt and water levels get dangerously out of balance, leading to swelling of the brain and leakage of fluid into the lungs. It can occur when athletes, hikers, etc., sweat heavily, losing both salt and water, but replace only water. Diagnostic signs: dizziness, disorientation, headaches, extreme fatigue, death. Prevention: salty snacks and sports drinks. So pass the taco chips and Gatorade, bubba, and let's get healthy.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/020208.html
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2006, 05:15:47 pm »

yeah, I know it is possible to OD on whatever chemical is in marijuana. but they've done studies, and proved that it is physicially impossible to inhale enough of it at once to achieve this level. the only way to have such a massive dose in your body at the same time is to inject it. which, I mean, people don't do that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 05:18:19 pm »

From what I've read, hyponatremia is further only a risk if you've been working out long or hard enough to damage the muscles beyond a certain point (ie. marathon distances). Running in a half marathon (assuming you had trained for it properly), for example, probably wouldn't be enough to cause much risk no matter how much water you drank.

The reason this was a problem was because the hydration advice was to just drink as much as you could stand to, regardless of thirst. That turns out to be too much if there is significant muscle trauma. I heard currently, they have scales at every water stop in some marathons, and you're supposed to just drink enough to keep yourself at the same weight throughout the race.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2006, 10:06:04 pm »

Dude, you can die from an OD on water. I'm pretty sure anything can kill you in large enough quantities.

The thing is that it is basically impossible to get that much marijuana in your system that quickly.  It has a ridiculous OD amount and you would pass out/be to stoned to keep smoking/eating/whatever way before you even came close.  You could do it, but only if you like had someone there to put some type of marijuana extract in your veins after you have passed out.  No normal use will ever make you OD.

I mean I'm not arguing that we should all go out and you know.. do a bunch of acid or anything, I am just saying that's really really odd.

Lame.  Anyways, this reminds me of the Bill Hicks joke where he is all like the should put good acid stories on the news, not just man jumps off of tall building trying to fly, but man discovers that we are all connected and that are bodies are just bullshit (or something).  Anyways, about people jumping off buildings, he says you fly from the ground.  You don't see birds taking the elevators to the tops of buildings and then flying.

There are definately some people who shouldn't do acid or any psychedelic really.  I have tripped with one, and it was not fun.  Luckily responsibility is something that you do not loose while trippng so I was able to calm him down.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2006, 10:46:22 pm »

I recall from an old pharmacology course I did that LSD is one of the few non-addictive recreational drugs out there. I think that should have some bearing on it's legality since addiction is the source of a lot of the problems relating to major drugs. Of course there is also something to be said for regulating a substance that makes you see crazy shit too.

Just for the record from memory weed is addictive but somewhere below the cigarettes level.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2006, 11:21:37 pm »

Weed is psychologically addictive but not physically, from what I understand.  I did read some blog once were the author thought that weed may be physically addictive, but since it leaves your system so slowly it happens over a period of a month and is not that bad.


All of what I know comes from pro-drug sources, that is why I rarely present anything as fact in arguments of this type.  However, anti-drug sources are way more biased in my opinion.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2006, 03:57:52 am »

That is why I only smoke Natural American Spirit hand rolled.

K, you should switch to the machine rolled American Spirits.  Have you ever smoked them?, it's insane, the amount of tobacco thats crammed in.  Insane.




But it sounds like you should take the step and become a cigar smoker.


Join the dark side.
Logged
ACHIEVE

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2006, 04:12:11 am »

Yea, I am a college student so I can't really do that.  I love the Black box American Spirits though, you should try those.  They are called perique, which means they age them in whiskey barrels.  It gives it a nice flavour.  With the hand rolleds I can smoke for a dollar a day and still have a great cigarette, both of those are pretty important to me.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Drugs: Still Bad
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2006, 12:03:30 am »

yeah, I know it is possible to OD on whatever chemical is in marijuana. but they've done studies, and proved that it is physicially impossible to inhale enough of it at once to achieve this level. the only way to have such a massive dose in your body at the same time is to inject it. which, I mean, people don't do that.

I don't know, back in the day I might have tried, but then my tolerance had just gotten silly for a while.
I'm now at a point where I haven't smoked in a while and it doesn't take much to get me really relaxed. That said, two days and I could be back to being able to smoke 24/7 quite easily. I'm just so not going to let that happen again. I'm too old for it now.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up