Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Huge Decision  (Read 4938 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Huge Decision
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 02:15:02 pm »

Go back to HSC.  If you can't get a good education at a supposedly prestigious college, the degree isn't worth the paper it's printed on. 


You can get a good education at any college, if you look for it. You can also get a lousy education at any college, no matter how famous. It's more about you and how you use the resources than it is about the name brand.

Dammit, didn't I once link to a story about a study that found that people who'd had a choice between two colleges and chose the less famous one, did just as well later on in life?  It was in the newspaper in the last year or two. I don't have time right now to figure out how to search for it but I'm sure I remember we talked about this.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Huge Decision
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 05:08:31 pm »

Dude, you need to stick it out at A-CAP.  You do not want to be the dude that graduates from HSU.  That is just crass.

Paul, you've really changed:
http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2758.msg63476.html#msg63476

I searched my butt off and found that I had referred to that study I mentioned in that thread but idiotically didn't link to it, and now I can't find it. But seriously, it exists.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Huge Decision
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 08:01:34 pm »

I just got pwnd or however you spell that.

Yes Wombat, I was being extremely facitious.  Since the answer to A-CAP's question was so obvious I thought I would provide the only contrary opinion.

Nice Cortjstring there
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Huge Decision
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 08:01:56 pm »

There was another study where people who went to Ivy League schools got better jobs or something?  But we decided that the same connections that got them to Ivy League schools got them their jobs?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Huge Decision
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 08:11:41 pm »

Well, the point of the study that I can't find was that if you are the kind of person who gets into an Ivy League school, it doesn't matter whether you actually go to the school. If you turn down the Ivy League and go to some other school, you will have the same kind of life as if you had actually gone.  Because you both get into the school and get the jobs etc later because of the kind of person you are.  The cause and effect relationship is between you and success, not between the school and success. 




Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Huge Decision
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 01:26:52 pm »

Do it. I am so happy at my not-top-notch school, where I get to be super-rad and stand out.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Huge Decision
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 09:32:57 pm »

Belatedly: yeah, transfer back. It is not worth spending a year somewhere that sucks.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Huge Decision
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 01:48:14 am »

I spent a miserable three semesters at a school where my entire family had the "Stick it out" advice. After wanting to kill myself, I finally manned up, transferred... and the quality of my life improved 1,000%. DO IT, arachnocapitalist. Transfer back to the better school. You will be so much happier.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Huge Decision
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 03:10:15 am »

Linnea's coming up for air! 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Huge Decision
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 07:53:42 pm »

Be like Mr. Rogers!
http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/5943

Quote
10. He was an Ivy League Dropout. Rogers moved from Dartmouth to Rollins College to pursue his studies in music.
I mean, not that A-CAP is Ivy League, but, you know. Similar stature and all that.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 08:04:19 pm by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Huge Decision
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2007, 04:21:33 am »

"It has been three semesters since I left Hampden-Sydney for New York University, and I have learned at least one thing: How to admit when I've made a mistake"... and so goes my essay on my application for readmission. I am doing this, I am all up in it. Thanks for your advice everyone. Ive since been day dreaming about returning to The Hill and ive decided i wont tell anyone there if I get in. Id rather they find out by finding me taking beer from their fridge on move-in day.

Fuck yes, dude. Glad to hear it. Good on ya for making the tough call and going back. You will be much happier.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Huge Decision
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2007, 04:42:42 am »

Congrats, Ennewhy.

Sounds like you made the right decision.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Huge Decision
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 04:50:04 am »

Sounds like a good plan, way to actually enjoy your studies man.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up