Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life  (Read 8747 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2008, 12:38:47 am »

The closest thing I have to a place like that was a closed road in the neighborhood I grew up in. I would ride my bike down there in afternoons and such. Although I never did it with friends (because when I lived in that neighborhood, I didn't have any friends until my junior year of high school, by which point bikes weren't cool anymore), and I can't say the worst head of my life came there, because I never got head there.

Re: The strip... I dunno. Maybe if I knew who Ware is/was, I would get it. It seems like an inside joke of sorts, and I'm on the outside looking in.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2008, 02:13:59 am »

OK, I like it better this afternoon, but I still think it would have been just as good without the Chris Ware references. But maybe that's just because I'm such a philistine that I've never read any Chris Ware because, as I said recently elsewhere, I never read comics printed on paper and bound together.

I don't think this is all that great and I've read Chris Ware. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2008, 02:22:31 am »

I think this is insanely good and I've never heard of him.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2008, 04:17:16 am »

The Summer of Pandas marked the last period of true freedom in my childhood. 

It was like "Bridge to Terabithia" except nobody died. 

Okay, I think I get now why all of you like this strip, even though I've never read Bridge to Terabithia, because I figured based on the blurb on the back cover that it was one of those books I wouldn't like at all.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2008, 06:52:33 pm »

we read that book in 3rd or 4th grade and I cried at the end. I remember being terrified that I'd cry when we read it out loud in class, too. Luckily for me, the kids in my class mispronounced every other word, and that kept me from getting too into it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2008, 07:37:02 pm »

This is why I love Achewood in the first place. This is fuck*ng art. This is not comics elevated to the level of art, but comics realizing they were art all along and needed only to click their silver slippers.

Onstad is far, far from the first Glinda though.

I liked this. It reminded me a little bit of In the Shadow of No Towers by Spiegelman - the different, but connected stories told through different art, different sequences going different directions in the same space.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2008, 08:27:48 pm »

Quote
This is why I love Achewood in the first place. This is fuck*ng art. This is not comics elevated to the level of art, but comics realizing they were art all along and needed only to click their silver slippers.

see, Chris Ware's book, Jimmy Corrigan, is like a whole book of that. After a while, you start thinking "ok, we get it, you realize that comics can be art. wow, that is really pretty and cool." and start backing away slowly.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2008, 08:55:23 pm »

see, Chris Ware's book, Jimmy Corrigan, is like a whole book of that. After a while, you start thinking "ok, we get it, you realize that comics can be art. wow, that is really pretty and cool." and start backing away slowly.

Thanks for the warning!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2008, 09:01:26 pm »

I mean... I also really really like it. don't get me wrong.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 04:38:54 pm »

You know those bumper stickers that say "a bad day giraffeing is still better than a good day at work?"  My feelings on oral sex are like that.  Even if it's bad, it's still pretty good.

Same goes for pizza.
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2008, 06:43:36 pm »

Not always... teeth, lack of enthusiasm, sometimes you just want it to end and start messing around some other way.  There's no really polite way to ask someone to stop giving you head.

Jimmy Corrigan is a beautiful book.  I hate to sound like this, but it changed my life.  It's a novel.  It's not funny or full of adventure.  It's about a lonely man who tries to reconnect with his father, and also about the grandfather of this man, and his childhood experiences surrounding the 1893 World's Fair.  It's really amazing.  It's not pretentious, in that it isn't pretending to accomplish anything that it doesn't accomplish.

All of those little "And So..." transitional panels that are all over Onstad's cartoons from the past few years are a Chris Ware invention.

I hear his newest section of a new book is good too.  His sketchbooks are unreal... as good as Crumb's.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2008, 08:23:56 am »

During my semi-annual stroll through the archives, I have come across this strip once more.

This rereading of it has come at a fortuitous time, for it was only a scant few weeks ago that I discovered Jimmy Corrigan and Ware, quite by chance while idly browsing the goods offered at my local Books Etc. Taken in by its bold coloring and the quality of its artwork, I purchased the book with out knowing anything of its story or the acclaim in which it is held. I can only read a few pages at a time, for it is to be contemplated. savored and appreciated.

So, as I read this strip again today, I now recognize it for what it is in way which I was unable to the first time I read it. To me, it is a loving homage to one of the masters of the craft, and I enjoy it all the more so because of it.
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up