Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life  (Read 8758 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« on: January 11, 2008, 05:41:07 am »

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01112008

I have no idea why, but I absolutely love this strip. Maybe I'm just a sucker for bright colors?

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 05:49:00 am »

Wow. I really like how the characters are rendered in color without their customary outlines. This strip's color and bold artistic style make me happy, but the subject matter is incredibly depressing. Someone get Onstad another Dave lamp, stat.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 05:49:20 am »

Cartooning, is masturbation.
Girls, don't spit on a dudes leg. It is the kind of thing he remembers in his quiet moments as a thing that sucked about his life.
Guys, next time you're throwing your genetic material into a toilet, remember that right now is the beginning of the rest of your life.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 05:53:58 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 05:53:37 am »

man. why's he gotta make fun of Chris Ware. I like that man's comics. Mostly the art style... it looks like instructional diagrams to me, if that makes sense.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 05:54:13 am »

Acme Novelty Achewood.... I like it.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 06:00:08 am »

Guys, next time you're throwing your genetic material into a toilet, remember that right now is the beginning of the rest of your life.

My life is just packed with new beginnings.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 06:25:37 am »

man. why's he gotta make fun of Chris Ware. I like that man's comics. Mostly the art style... it looks like instructional diagrams to me, if that makes sense.

Perhaps it's more of an homage...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 06:26:04 am »

I could stand to see more Achewood strips in color, especially if they're as surreal as this one.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 07:19:21 am »

They all look fatter without lines.

Except the immortal otter, who looks pretty much the same.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

isaacs_law

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 07:44:00 am »

I admire Chris Ware, but he begs for parody and this feels quite affectionate, more an Achewoodian take on Ware's aesthetic than pure mockery force.

Oh and brilliant, best strip in ages.

I'm content-free since 2008
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 08:56:41 am »

Oh Man Oh Man Oh Man.

'Cartooning'

Shit. Yes.

Best strip ever, would read again and again and again.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 09:30:40 am »

This is gorgeously done, and the content is deeply sad, which I think makes it all the better. Poor Teodor.
Logged

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 03:05:14 pm »

This is why I love Achewood in the first place. This is fuck*ng art. This is not comics elevated to the level of art, but comics realizing they were art all along and needed only to click their silver slippers. And aside from that, the content in this just rocks. Yes, it is true, everyone does have an old cement bridge. It does mean something different to everyone. Joss Whedon once said that Firefly was about "nine people loooking into space, and each one seeing something different".  That touches me in special places for some reason. That shit resonates with me. This is fuck*ng beautiful. Oh, and I will definitely be Googling Chris Ware. I'm excited to find out who the hell he is.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 03:17:51 pm »

Perhaps it's more of an homage...

Yeah. And it seems kind of pretentious and makes me cranky. Maybe it's just been a long week.  I'll try again later, since so many of youall think highly of it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 11 January 2008 - The worst head of my life
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 04:30:30 pm »

yeah, in this, I see everything about Chris Ware that is a little too much exaggerated even further.

I mean, especially the "cartooning" part.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up