Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: 19 Aug 2008 - Spiced with the eternal condiment of SIN  (Read 17304 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

milhouse

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 52
    • View Profile
Re: 19 Aug 2008 - Spiced with the eternal condiment of SIN
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2008, 02:57:06 pm »

So perhaps there exists a tiny chance of recognizing these occurrences as nothing more than anecdotal evidence which, while being irrefutably strong in its capacity to support claims of crookedness in Religion, it is also irretrievably weak as an argument for proving that all of Religion is crooked, since said occurrences are particular, personal experiences largely affected by the randomness of geography? No?

No doubt more than a tiny chance. But still just a chance, not confirmed.

I can only base my opinion on what I've seen and heard. I actively look, but still more of the same. As W said "Fool me once... shame on you. Fool me twice... you can't get fooled again"
Logged
Three mute birds, walking in procession,

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: 19 Aug 2008 - Spiced with the eternal condiment of SIN
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2008, 03:09:46 pm »

I can only base my opinion on what I've seen and heard.

I've heard there's this thing where you can also base your opinion on results obtained by deduction from formalized statements following elementary logic, but hey.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 19 Aug 2008 - Spiced with the eternal condiment of SIN
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2008, 04:55:14 pm »

This is why you guys are worth the time.

I threw out a smart ass comment and one of you picked up the meat of what I was sassing about and spun it out into something of value.

Cool

Yep.  Despite the fact that we have neither Chubbies nor Lames, the ability to make both random flip comments and, um, well, I guess, not-random flip comments keeps me coming back.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 19 Aug 2008 - Spiced with the eternal condiment of SIN
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2008, 04:55:50 pm »

Yep.  Despite the fact that we have neither Chubbies nor Lames

Speak for yourself.
Logged

milhouse

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 52
    • View Profile
Re: 19 Aug 2008 - Spiced with the eternal condiment of SIN
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2008, 05:13:03 pm »

I've heard there's this thing where you can also base your opinion on results obtained by deduction from formalized statements following elementary logic, but hey.

On certain subjects I'll trust a formalized statement. On others, not so much. I'm just crazy that way... If you've got a formalized statement that follows elementary logic on the subject of religion, pass it on. I'll gladly read it.

I was just saying most people I've spoken to about religion follow wacky theories that make no sense to me. I get perturbed when they push it on me and want me to 'believe' it as well. A few* people have actual thought about and researched their faith and still come up with wacky theories that they follow, and I'm cool with that. At least thought was involved. I actually enjoy discussing it with them. It seemed to me that jay-ell has thought about her beliefs and I was digging that, but I don't see that much of that and would like to see more.
I never said all religion is evil. I actually think that (gasp) it's good for some people. But in my admittedly small circle most religious people were just 'raised that way' and go through the motions and that upsets me for some reason.  All this is just the opinion of one dude born and raised in the bible belt. 

*few people-of the 20 or so people I've discussed religious beliefs with I know 4 who have put much thought into it. Again a generalized statement, but specific to me. Maybe a national poll will show the inverse at some other location. Then I'll try to find this place and consider living there.
Logged
Three mute birds, walking in procession,

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: 19 Aug 2008 - Spiced with the eternal condiment of SIN
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2008, 01:25:59 am »

If you've got a formalized statement that follows elementary logic on the subject of religion, pass it on. I'll gladly read it.

I already did that. That's what I've been doing for the last 5 cocking pages. You don't assuage me when you say you'll "gladly read it" when I know you won't think about it. Anyway, I don't like repeating myself with different words, so, moving on: Phillipe is five.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

milhouse

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 52
    • View Profile
Re: 19 Aug 2008 - Spiced with the eternal condiment of SIN
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2008, 12:02:40 pm »

It seems I should be defending a position or clarifing something I said, but apparently I'm too dense to have followed what I said that was so offensive or controversial. If you'd be so kind as to explain it once again, maybe the different words will soak in. I will think about it and give it another go. If not, Phillipe is five, indeed.
Logged
Three mute birds, walking in procession,

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: 19 Aug 2008 - Spiced with the eternal condiment of SIN
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2008, 01:04:18 pm »

No, that boat has sailed. But I'm glad we can agree on Phillipe`s fiveness.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 19 Aug 2008 - Spiced with the eternal condiment of SIN
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2008, 01:05:22 pm »

How can Philippe still be five when he just had a birthday?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 19 Aug 2008 - Spiced with the eternal condiment of SIN
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2008, 01:14:06 pm »

Because it was his fifth birthday of course.

Did I just blow your mind?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: 19 Aug 2008 - Spiced with the eternal condiment of SIN
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2008, 01:22:49 pm »

I was gonna reply that this is a De fide matter, but frankly, didn't the last 7 pages teach me nothing?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 01:26:10 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 19 Aug 2008 - Spiced with the eternal condiment of SIN
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2008, 02:05:47 pm »

Whoaaaaa

A religion discussion. On this board! Whoda thunk it. I'm with Mom, for the record, and actually I imagine somewhat to the right of  her. Now back to discussing the otter and the bear and etc. already.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 19 Aug 2008 - Spiced with the eternal condiment of SIN
« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2008, 02:28:31 pm »

Whoaaaaa

A religion discussion. On this board! Whoda thunk it. I'm with Mom, for the record, and actually I imagine somewhat to the right of  her. Now back to discussing the otter and the bear and etc. already.

Actually it wasn't truly a real spontaneous religion discussion.  We were just trying to summon you back.

It worked!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: 19 Aug 2008 - Spiced with the eternal condiment of SIN
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2008, 02:56:13 pm »

Actually it wasn't truly a real spontaneous religion discussion.  We were just trying to summon you back.

It worked!

Canned for....

um....

hell, just have a can.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up