I remember when that Napster hullaballoo first started, they had an interview with the guys in Rolling Stone or something, and Lars talked about hanging out with James and traading tapes of their favorite bands like Sabbath/Priest/Maiden, stuff like that. That just killed me.
Also, I'm with you. A buddy of mine got sent off to boarding school in the early 80s and came back for the holidays or something and brought back Kill 'Em All. Living in AK, it was hard to get exposed to new music. I was listening to Accept or some shit, along with the aforementioned bands, and I took to Metallica with a passion. I saw the Justice tour, and I thought that it was one of the best concerts I'd seen - complete with unintended pyro effects when a monitor burst into flames and they were unable to clear the building to deal with it (foreshadowing of the Great White thing, but my understanding is that this has happened before with Metallica as well).
That was pretty good shit, but once that "black" album came out, I had some sense that they were slipping. It just seemed like they weren't as vital, really. I still like their first four albums, but when it comes down to it, in the last 15 years they've released what, four actual albums? And I don't know if you call Load and Reload a double album that was released at slightly different times or what.
On top of that, what's with the treatment of Jason Newsted? Every time I read anything about when he joined the band, the main impression that I get is that the other guys felt like the only way to make him feel at home/make him understand that he would never be accepted was some kind of fraternity hazing ritual. He points out all sorts of treatment that would basically be gay-bashing in another context. And quite frankly, from everything I've ever seen of Kirk Hammett, I thought he was gay.
Sorry to ramble; these guys were really important to me at one point.