Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bah Humpug  (Read 5470 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 10:54:30 pm »

stoner pixie dream elf
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 12:48:17 am »

Hey, we're starting to get Black Friday deals up here too now, but since our Thanksgiving is in October there is no scuzzy spill over, just dealz. 

Also for no reason thinking of thanksgiving made me think of this.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 06:27:17 am »

Also for no reason thinking of thanksgiving made me think of this.

Wow, that is amazing. I was sure I had seen everything that Homestar Runner had to offer, but I have never seen that before. And it was set in the Teen Girl Squad world which I love.

This seem appropriate for this thread.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 01:27:40 am »

I often forget that American Thanksgiving is the day where a lot my aboriginal friends post angry things on Facebook.  I get the anger, but the sense of down-your-nose superiority kind of rubs me the wrong way. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 12:51:33 pm »

A not insignificant and ever-increasing percentage of my fellow white Canadian facebook friends feel the need to annually remind one another that Murrica's turkey day is a 'literal celebration of genocide'. I guess we northern folk enjoy our heaping plate of anti-American smug self-righteousness with a side of historical oversimplification.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 01:19:45 pm »

Delicious!

So I guess now I have to stop complaining about the Christmas music being too early.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 02:15:01 pm »

Nawww the all-too-early introduction of seasonal jams is an honestly really grating thing. I love the Christmas season more than many, but fuck if it's a time of year where the simple act of 'going to the store' has the power to ruin a dude's happy mental state so quickly and effectively.

During my brief stint at a now-defunct retail chain, I think I did some serious damage to the part of my brain responsible for auditory processing by working at a checkout directly underneath of a speaker that seemed mysteriously louder than the others.

To this day, during life's moments of rare sensory respite, I'll hear ghostly echoes of the young Michael Jackson's terrible spoken-word vamping in "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause". Shit's like the afterimage burnt into the plasma screen of your friend who probably plays too much Fallout or whatever.

This Christmas season I will be practicing good mental hygiene by putting my ears through a 30 minute high-volume white noise 'bath' each time I return from a centre of commerce.
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 03:52:27 pm »

I used to think it would be great to spend December in a Muslim country so I wouldn't have to hear crap popular Christmas music, but now it would practically have to be all of November too. I think today is like the deadline, though. It's futile to complain that the weekend after Thanksgiving is too soon for Christmas music.

I actually really like traditional Christmas carols, because I used to be a choral singer. But of course they don't play those because they're religious. I wonder if it would help to spend December in an extremely Christian country - maybe at least the music would be better? Ah well, but either way I'm not going anywhere so the only alternative is to try to do as little shopping as possible.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 03:53:10 pm »

Amazon and such should use this as a selling point. SHOP ONLINE - NO CHRISTMAS MUSIC.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

ianmalcolm2

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 129
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 206
  • the persian inversion
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 04:16:00 pm »

—Leading us to wonder:

If things ~1700CE had turned out differently, would the the malls of resultant Puritan theocratic America have better winter tunes?

Vague memories from an American studies class I took one, when interpreted along a non-Euclidean speculative tangent, lead me to conclude that Christmas wouldn't exist at all! However, the monthlong 'THANK THE LORD FOR THE TOTALLY SUCCESSFUL TWO HUNDRED-YEAR WITCH GENOCIDE' festival arising in its stead would probably be more annoying than having to hear Kenny G's "Miracles" album on tinny loudspeakers at Sam's Club for a month and a half.

And delete that most recent reply, Wombat! Amazon's got algorithms that can detect features requests and ensure that the exact opposite occurs!
Logged
Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 09:00:40 pm »

Amazon and such should use this as a selling point. SHOP ONLINE - NO CHRISTMAS MUSIC.

It occurred to me that the expansion of Black Friday to now include Thursday as well is probably driven by online shopping. The brick and mortar stores can't afford to leave the public alone for even one day because they are not going to stop shopping they are just going to take their business elsewhere (online). I haven't heard this line of thought expressed anywhere else.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2013, 09:04:31 pm »

I don't know where I read this-maybe up further in this thread-but I read it may be because thanksgiving was as late as it can possibly be this year?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 10:50:27 pm »

I've heard that too.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up