Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bah Humpug  (Read 5468 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Bah Humpug
« on: November 20, 2013, 06:03:54 pm »

A friend posted this picture of their Christmas tree. But check out the poster in the background. What is that Pug flavored gum?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Bah Humpug
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 06:09:16 pm »

I am pretty sure pug flavored gum would be nasty.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Bah Humpug
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 07:00:36 pm »

Our neighborhood shopping plaza had their outdoor tree lighting ceremony last weekend. I can only assume that eventually Christmas will start the day after Labor Day.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Bah Humpug
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 07:07:56 pm »

This is the time of year I get very surly about going to public shopping places on account of Christmas creep.  So far my grocery stores are more interested in selling Thanksgiving, so I haven't been pissy about shopping there (to my wife's relief).  Her craft stores are OK too - I get the need to have seasonal fixings up well in advance in that environment so crafty types can have projects done by the holiday.  She leaves me home for trips to Target and the malls though.  Neither of us enjoy those at this time of year.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Bah Humpug
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 09:10:18 pm »

Yeah it seems like Halloween is the new on switch for Christmas doings. I love Christmas lights and like Christmas music too so it's a good scene got me. Wish Thanksgiving wasn't getting the short shrift though.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Bah Humpug
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 10:46:16 pm »

I adore Christmas. But it pisses me off that it stomps all over Thanksgiving, which is my very favorite holiday and the ONLY one that everyone in this country, regardless of race, color, or creed, can agree on. 

Yes, I know the bit about the pilgrims and the so-called Indians gets a lot of Native Americans in a tizzy. But manifest destiny aside, that (largely mythological) story is all about the white people and the brown people setting aside their differences for one damn day and just enjoying the good food. Maybe I'm begging for a flame war here, but can't we just cast aside all the baggage that comes along with it and observe Thanksgiving as a holiday to celebrate what we have, and to soberly remember that somewhere in the world there's someone who has less?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 12:10:42 am »

How can setting aside a day for reflection and giving thanks be anything but positive?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 12:22:33 am »

In Soviet Canada, Christmas Decorations be up going the day after Remembrance Day! 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 01:09:30 am »

Depends, you better give thanks the right way for the right things and say a prayer to an approved deity while you're at it or I'm going to get your ass.

(see, people can turn anything to shit)

(if you let 'em)

(I don't)

ALSO: cheers for saying it is a bitchin' holiday. CONCUR.

SMELLS! Canucky-a-land has enitirely too many dang holidays. It's like you people are happy or something.

Yes, there are plenty of grinches in the world. I try to ignore them. Best sign out of Facebook for the next 3 months.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 01:29:35 am »

the ruination of thanksgiving and atheism are the main reasons i'm a warrior on christmas. -or, i declare? war on christmas? --wait. hell with it. when there's a formal declaration of war on christmas, i'm john hancockin' that bitch
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 03:14:28 pm »

I am not a fan of retail businesses having Black Friday spill over into Thanksgiving proper. Not just for the retail workers who have to give up their holiday for the sake of retail profits, but also for what it says about us as a people. You can't take this one freaking day to be with your family and be thankful, you have to run out and buy bullshit at the mall? Come on.

I further despise the argument "Tough shit for the retail workers, they should be thankful they have jobs." Yes, those businesses should be allowed to exploit their workers however they please!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 03:42:43 pm »

Yeah, I told Mom that I'm not shopping on Thanksgiving Day. We always do Black Friday but I won't go before midnight.

I tried to convince her that she shouldn't either, but she was like, "But Wal-Mart has such good deals!" I said I'd rather spend a little more money than force someone else to work on Thanksgiving, and she said, they're going to be working anyway, I may as well shop.

I said, maybe they'll be working this year, but if nobody goes out to shop, the stores won't make money and they won't open as early next year. But she insists that her staying home won't make a difference in the world. I told her, "That's what everyone else thinks, too." But she didn't get it, or didn't want to.

Sigh.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 03:56:56 pm »

as a former walmart employee, i can testify that black-friday-starting-on-midnight-after-thanksgiving is considerably fuck*ng whacked.  on that night i had to work seven to seven, rather than ten to seven.  anyway, the joke is that i only did about 3 hours of actual work and the rest of the time was spent standing around with my thumb nestled gently in my bumhole.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 04:04:34 pm »

Yeah, that's lame. My brother-in-law used to manage a Best Buy and he would always have to leave early on Thanksgiving night so that he could get some sleep before his 2AM - 2PM shift. (This was back when they didn't open 'til 4.)

My sister-in-law is a labor-and-delivery nurse, and she has to work the day of Thanksgiving or Christmas just about every year. But that makes sense, and it's necessary, and she gets holiday pay and stuff. And there's a rule at her hospital that if you work Thanksgiving Day, you don't have to work Christmas Day the same year. So she volunteers to work Thanksgiving on even-numbered years, because those are the years that side of the family gets together for Christmas.

But again, that makes sense. Because women don't stop having babies just because it's a national holiday.

Everyone else can lay off the shopping for 24 gorram hours, if you ask me.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humpug
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 10:33:47 pm »

My girlfriend decided to dress up like an elf and make peanut butter pot cookies. She did not tell me the cookies were pot cookies. I approve of her christmas spirit, but if she tricks me into getting high again, we're going to have a talk.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up