Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Poll

Should I buy a kilt?

Hells yeah doggie, get your kilt on!
- 9 (39.1%)
Are you all TWISTY on GREEN?
- 9 (39.1%)
Whatever, FAG.
- 5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: May 21, 2004, 07:59:16 pm


Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: This Poll Is Not About #####  (Read 9713 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
This Poll Is Not About #####
« on: May 21, 2004, 07:59:16 pm »

Okay, so it's godawfully hot in Kentucky right now, and I spend most of my work day wearing jeans or cords, running around. Which means I am one hot, hot dog. However, I think there might be a solution:

However, here's the thing: you know how there's always some guy who's got a kilt, and wears it, and thinks he's really awesome for doing so? I don't want to be that guy. I just want to be the guy who doesn't like a sweaty ass. Would I be massively lame for buying those?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
This Poll Is Not About #####
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 08:10:46 pm »

PAT!  Don't wear a cape!

Yes, wearing a kilt would be highly affected.

Jeans and cords are hot because they're heavier fabrics.  Get some light weight khakis.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
This Poll Is Not About #####
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 08:22:30 pm »

You might also want to consider getting a specialized licence plate that says RENFAIR for your car.

Seriously, though, I don't think it would be such a negative societal development if dudes outside the arrogant frat-boy demographic started wearing kilts.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
This Poll Is Not About #####
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 08:51:07 pm »

As one who can -- and does -- occasionally wear skirts in public without being ridiculed, I can attest that a good pair of lightweight chinos (the color-neutral term for khakis) are far, far more comfortable than your average over-the-knee.  

Then again, you probably wouldn't wear it with pantyhose.  

Pedro would probably recommend these.  According to Time magazine, one of the ten best inventions of 2000.  

Pants.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
This Poll Is Not About #####
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 08:58:53 pm »

Are you Scottish?  If so, then get a kilt in your correct tartan.

Clan Campbell RULES!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
This Poll Is Not About #####
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 09:26:35 pm »

As a female who wears skirts as little as possible, I second jl's opinion.  In fact even without pantyhose, skirts are not as comfortable in the summer as you are imagining.   Shorts are better than anything else.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
This Poll Is Not About #####
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 09:44:50 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
In fact even without pantyhose, skirts are not as comfortable in the summer as you are imagining.   Shorts are better than anything else.

I don't know, man. I've spent some time in some skirts, and the "nadular mobility factor" felt pretty amazing. However, yeah, I didn't want to say it, but I'd feel like I should be rocking out with my renfaire chainmail and claymore all the time.
I am Scottish, but I'd really rather not drop like $500 on the tartan and everything.
However, I do notice that, although the COMMENTS are overwhelmingly negative, the poll is in a three way tie. We'll decide this DEMOCRATICALLY, damn it.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
This Poll Is Not About #####
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 09:58:03 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
However, I do notice that, although the COMMENTS are overwhelmingly negative, the poll is in a three way tie. We'll decide this DEMOCRATICALLY, damn it.


I got caught up with the chads hanging off my Diebold voting machine.  So I'm giving up on democracy and just telling you: If you wear a kilt to work, half of me will respect you for it.  Really nobody else will.  So that's half a person for you, and about 6 billion against.  Even people in Scotland would be all, "For the love a' crap, laddy.  Put some ##### on."

So from half of my brain to you, "Go for it!"


Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Clan Campbell RULES!


Aye, the McPhearsons could kick your clan's arse!
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
This Poll Is Not About #####
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 09:58:53 pm »

I actually think that looks fuck*ng rad, especially with those boots. I've also worn a skirt or two in my time, and I think they're pretty damn neat, citing Bozack's "nadular mobility factor" u.s.w.

Of course, going so far as to go out in public under non-Halloween situations might be pushing one's luck. Especially in Kentucky (what the fuck are you doing in Kentucky?). Not because I give two shits about the "you're two years away from an ascot and jewel-studded cane, you precious fop" factor so much as I wouldn't want to have to explain every thirty-fuck*ng-five seconds that yes, okay, technically this is a skirt and yes, I am a guy and no, I don't crave the dick.

But if you can pull it off, get on down with your bad self.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
This Poll Is Not About #####
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2004, 10:20:19 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Pedro would probably recommend these.  According to Time magazine, one of the ten best inventions of 2000.  

Pants.

I fricken love the mobile #####. I have 2 pair and would love to convert to those entirely except that tha both Hecht's and Penny's stopped selling them and I can't find another other stores that ever had them.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
This Poll Is Not About #####
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2004, 10:23:45 pm »

Are they called the Mocker for a reason? Or is that just to set you up for the Mockery you are likely to get if you wear it?  The picture is of a garment that looks significantly less masculine than a "classic" tartan kilt.
The dude also looks much smaller and less likely to crush anyone who mocks him than your average Highland Games competitor.

The advantage that I can see is that you can probably run a little faster in that  than in #####. But if you were wearing #####, less people would want to kick your ass in the first place.

Chinos are the way to go - take it from a guy in a place where hot is the year-round. And humid too. The hot isn't the problem in #####, it's the humidity + sweat - the sac sweat and the chafing are the real issues. Boxers + a cute schoolgirl pleated skirt like this would take care of those problems but would open up a backfiring can of whoopass in some parts.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
This Poll Is Not About #####
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2004, 10:33:32 pm »

The women say it's less comfortable and I guess they would know.  The guys are pointing out the obvious that A kilt gets a lot of unwanted attention from stupid people just off the turnip truck.  It takes a big man to either put up with all that shit or kick ass on a pretty much constant basis.  Lets face it, if you wear a kilt you are gonna get heckled.  However only a few have pointed out that the Kilt is AWESOME!!!  But Bro., you gotta get the tartan, otherwise it's just a skirt.

The McRae Tartan



~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
This Poll Is Not About #####
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 10:49:36 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Boxers + a cute schoolgirl pleated skirt


I was afraid to mention it but something like this (except I personally would NOT wear the pleats) is actually the most comfortable solution.

Aw jeez, now I've got strange men on the Internet thinking about my underwear, right?  My momma warned me it would come to this.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
This Poll Is Not About #####
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2004, 11:31:01 pm »

Sorry. No on the kilt. And I'm Scottish.
Kilts are just bad. Bad news. Guys shouldn't be wearin' shorts let alone kilts man.

My best limbic coverage device is my died-black 40's moleskin combat trousers. Both hot and cold depending when you need it.
And they don't show leg. So it's ok.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
This Poll Is Not About #####
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2004, 11:56:33 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Boxers + a cute schoolgirl pleated skirt


I was afraid to mention it but something like this (except I personally would NOT wear the pleats) is actually the most comfortable solution.

Aw jeez, now I've got strange men on the Internet thinking about my underwear, right?  My momma warned me it would come to this.


I just figure all women wear thongs and leave it at that. Simplifies my internet-underwear-thinking considerably. And don't tell me otherwise, I really like my delusion just fine.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up