Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hosting  (Read 6219 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Hosting
« on: May 25, 2004, 02:15:48 pm »

If I was really lazy and didn't want to do any research, could someone tell me in general terms what a reasonable amount to pay would be for a place to host a handful of pictures? The little dingus above where I am typing right now wants $10 a month. Also, is that shit very hard to figure out?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Hosting
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 04:01:47 pm »

On the recommendation of several dumbrellites I went with JiffyNet. I mainly just wanted a real e-mail account and a bit of server space for my use so I went with the 100MB storage/20GB bandwidth plan for $20/yr.

http://www.jiffynet.net/jiffynet100mb.htm

On that page click on Web Based Control Panel for a demo of the interface.
Logged

misterhaan

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
    • http://www.track7.org/
Hosting
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 07:32:02 pm »

if you are just looking to host a few pictures, you can get that free.

well, depending on how many pictures and how big they are.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Hosting
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 02:29:08 am »

$20/yr sounds reasonable.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Hosting
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 03:15:40 am »

Quite. I mainly set up the whole thing so my lady and I could stop using crappy hotmail and yahoo mail accounts. We both change jobs too much to rely on work mail. Ditto for using our ISP's address.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Hosting
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 02:30:45 pm »

Does a person have to be all braniac and shit to figure it out? Would it help to get a book? Is it like programming?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Hosting
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 04:35:24 pm »

If you just need an account to share some photos and stuff just fuck*ng *ask* me, dude.

-- the guy with the big server

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Hosting
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 09:11:28 pm »

Well, see, that's sort of my point. I don't know jack shit about the whole hosting thing. The question that I asked at the top basically is the best question I could formulate from the information I have. Plus, what if I wanted to host naked pictures of my cat? I would assume that you would have access to them then, and how good a deal would that be?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Hosting
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 10:35:52 pm »

If that's really all you want to do you might consider one of the photo album sharing services with names like "ophoto." I've never used one but have camera obsessed friends who insist that they are just dandy.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Hosting
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 11:36:48 pm »

I use Photobucket when I need to put a picture of something I've painted somewhere, and it's worked well for me thus far.
Logged
goose means greedy

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Hosting
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2004, 07:28:26 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
If you just need an account to share some photos and stuff just fuck*ng *ask* me, dude.

-- the guy with the big server


OK, I'm asking.  I would like some sort of web presence for a shudder blog and to post some pictures a la prodigal Paul.  Is this something with which you can assist me?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Hosting
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 07:44:14 pm »

Sure.  Just e-mail me with your needs and budget.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Hosting
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2004, 08:44:59 pm »

GO AUGUST WEST'S BLOG!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Hosting
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2004, 08:51:40 pm »

Ooh, an AugustBlog. Quick, set up an RSS feed and I'll get it onto my LiveJournal friendslist.

such a poser. god, my life is a hollow lie.

But I would like to read August's blog anyway.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Hosting
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2004, 07:17:03 pm »

OK, it's did.  Such as it is.  Sorry about the big-ass image.  I'll work on it.

[edit: fixed the link - CortJstr]
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up