Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: indefatigable predilection (mah-'tur, eye'-talyun) - 26 may  (Read 4707 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
indefatigable predilection (mah-'tur, eye'-talyun) - 26 may
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2004, 09:10:06 pm »

Yeah, I like that one he wrote, I Have No Beak Yet I Must Squawk.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
indefatigable predilection (mah-'tur, eye'-talyun) - 26 may
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2004, 09:19:53 pm »

I especially like that seminal collection: Dead Bird Stories.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

V-Adore

  • Guest
indefatigable predilection (mah-'tur, eye'-talyun) - 26 may
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2004, 10:04:30 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"

Also, re: the alt text here-  the pronunciation "eye-talyun" has been a subject of great contention in my family.  I remember my mom seeing an Olive Garden as I was driving her around and saying " I haven't had eye-talyun food in so long."  I have previously mentioned to her on several occasions that there is no country called "Eye-taly," but this has never effected her.

I am distinctly reminded of one of the primary hurdles that's come up in our upcoming move to Louisiana: convincing my mother of the correct pronunciation of "bayou." She pronounced it as "bio" for about a week, and only repeated corrections ("it rhymes with tofu") helped at all.

(Yes, we're Yankees.)
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
indefatigable predilection (mah-'tur, eye'-talyun) - 26 may
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2004, 10:40:46 pm »

Hi side_show, nice to have you back and congratulations on the eminently rad-sounding new job.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
indefatigable predilection (mah-'tur, eye'-talyun) - 26 may
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2004, 12:37:57 am »

I've heard people in Texas say "Buy-yo" instead of "Bah-yoo" also. However you say it, it's a mangrove swamp with a high potential for anal rape by toothless inbreds after sunset.
Logged

Andy

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
indefatigable predilection (mah-'tur, eye'-talyun) - 26 may
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2004, 04:15:51 am »

I'm sorry, is it just me or did Onstad completely steal Uncle Culpepper from Tom Hanks in The Ladykillers?
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
indefatigable predilection (mah-'tur, eye'-talyun) - 26 may
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2004, 12:45:36 pm »

Dammit Andy, you beat me to it. He's definitely a cross-species corollary.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
indefatigable predilection (mah-'tur, eye'-talyun) - 26 may
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2004, 02:12:22 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "side_show"

Also, re: the alt text here-  the pronunciation "eye-talyun" has been a subject of great contention in my family.  I remember my mom seeing an Olive Garden as I was driving her around and saying " I haven't had eye-talyun food in so long."  I have previously mentioned to her on several occasions that there is no country called "Eye-taly," but this has never effected her.

I am distinctly reminded of one of the primary hurdles that's come up in our upcoming move to Louisiana: convincing my mother of the correct pronunciation of "bayou." She pronounced it as "bio" for about a week, and only repeated corrections ("it rhymes with tofu") helped at all.

(Yes, we're Yankees.)


I actually had a Yankee-based pronunciation problem at the sculpture garden where I used to work.  I had a tourist come in and say "Can you tell me about the sculptor?"  So I started in on info about the sculptor, Leo Mol, telling her about his life, etc.  While I was talking I could see she was getting more and more annoyed, then she shouted "I don't want to know about Leo Mol, I want to know about the sculptor!"  I patiently explained that Leo Mol is the sculptor, and that he made every piece of art in the garden.  At this point she threw a post card from a near by shelf at me and said "No, I want to know about this sculptor!"  It was a picture of a sculpture called "The Log Drivers," and I realized then that she wanted to know about this sculpture, not the sculptor, but that she had no concept that these were two different words meaning different things.  "Oh, you want to know about this sculpture?" I sad. "Yes,  I want to know about the sculptor."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
indefatigable predilection (mah-'tur, eye'-talyun) - 26 may
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2004, 06:44:58 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"

I actually had a Yankee-based pronunciation problem at the sculpture garden where I used to work.  I had a tourist come in and say "Can you tell me about the sculptor?"  So I started in on info about the sculptor, Leo Mol, telling her about his life, etc.  While I was talking I could see she was getting more and more annoyed, then she shouted "I don't want to know about Leo Mol, I want to know about the sculptor!"  I patiently explained that Leo Mol is the sculptor, and that he made every piece of art in the garden.  At this point she threw a post card from a near by shelf at me and said "No, I want to know about this sculptor!"  It was a picture of a sculpture called "The Log Drivers," and I realized then that she wanted to know about this sculpture, not the sculptor, but that she had no concept that these were two different words meaning different things.  "Oh, you want to know about this sculpture?" I sad. "Yes,  I want to know about the sculptor."


Oh, yea, I loooove difficult customers.  BTW, I used to work at a call center myself trouble shooting "problems" for Time Warner Cable customers in New York.  They always seemed pissed or incredulous when I told them the call center was in Wyoming. Sometimes they also got pissed when I couldn't turn their cable back on because they hadn't paid their bill in three months or when I couldn't send a technician out within half an hour. Call centers are teh suq.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
indefatigable predilection (mah-'tur, eye'-talyun) - 26 may
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2004, 07:43:10 pm »

Quote from: "Mantonio"

Oh, yea, I loooove difficult customers.  BTW, I used to work at a call center myself trouble shooting "problems" for Time Warner Cable customers in New York.  They always seemed pissed or incredulous when I told them the call center was in Wyoming. Sometimes they also got pissed when I couldn't turn their cable back on because they hadn't paid their bill in three months or when I couldn't send a technician out within half an hour. Call centers are teh suq.


I worked in a call center for MasterCard here in Canada.  From this job I have learnt a great deal about the human predilection for blaming mistakes that are your fault and your fault alone on others.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
indefatigable predilection (mah-'tur, eye'-talyun) - 26 may
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2004, 09:00:31 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "side_show"

story

story

story

It used to just drive me nuts when people got their ass kicked by their native tongue. Now I'm normally just amused.

I just heard an advertisement on the radio that, in part, sounded like this:
"Like all Mercedes, I am impressed by the smooth handling . . . "

If someone had said that to me face to face, I would have laughed until a little pee came out. But hearing it on the radio? It's be amused or be depressed - I choose amused.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
indefatigable predilection (mah-'tur, eye'-talyun) - 26 may
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2004, 09:27:55 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

It used to just drive me nuts when people got their ass kicked by their native tongue. Now I'm normally just amused.


This makes me happy.

I was working in an STD clinic counseling a middle aged AA woman about her recent positive blood test for syphilis. As part of the usual questions, I asked her why she was in the hospital getting blood tests in the first place.
She told me

"They told me I have Fireballs of the Eucharist"

What?

"Fireballs of the Eucharist".

I went on, internally laughing til a little pee came out but also perplexed by what she was trying to say. Finally it occurred to me and I had to stop her talking to verify:

"Oh, you meant Fibroids of the Uterus!"

At the end of the interview she told me her son was in the hospital now.

For "Roaches of the Liver". That one I got right away.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
indefatigable predilection (mah-'tur, eye'-talyun) - 26 may
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2004, 11:24:36 pm »

Dammit, can't we just pretend that Fireballs of the Eucharist is a really, really great new euphemism for syphilis?
Logged
goose means greedy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up