Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Merriam-Webster Favorite Words  (Read 9572 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2004, 09:03:20 pm »

Finagle
Potentate
Recidivism

Good one from mathematics:
Infinituple
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2004, 12:45:31 am »

Asymptote
Masticate
Nabob
Spatula
Candelabra
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2004, 12:47:25 am »

In no particular order:
1.  penumbra (Learned it from Allen Ginsberg)
2.  hegemony
3.  esoteric
4.  sinister
5.  quintessential

And a bonus nonanglophone word, "se méfier", basically to be wary.  Very useful.
Logged
goose means greedy

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2004, 09:19:44 pm »

Bone.

I'm glad to see that callipygian made the list, though.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2004, 09:36:26 pm »

Man, so many good words already mentioned. If I make an attempt:

Words I Would Like to Use More But Honestly Never Have a Context For
Ersatz
Pyknic (no, not like eating outdoors, smartass)
Infundibular

Words Suitable for Everyday Use
Magnanimous
Asinine
Vector
Haploid (.. well, okay, suitable for everyday use for me)
Philanthropy

Non-English Words
Geschmacksache
Bikkuri and iraira (among other Japanese onomatopoeia)
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2004, 03:21:42 pm »

I try to use schadenfreude as often as possible. I also try to create contexts for it, if I can.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2004, 10:47:17 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I try to use schadenfreude as often as possible. I also try to create contexts for it, if I can.


My stars, yes, this is important.  The Germanism also reminded me of another word that I love and use to ridiculous excess, being zeitgeist.
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2004, 11:02:20 pm »

unscrupulous
sanguinous

... indecision!

Quote from: "V-Adore"

Words I Would Like to Use More But Honestly Never Have a Context For
Ersatz


I use ersatz all the time. Well, fairly often. I guess it's just because of how much I complain about capitalism, corporations and consumerism.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2004, 11:13:54 pm »

"Schadenfreude" and "zeitgeist" are both excellent, excellent words.

I also am quite fond of "sybaritic" and "whimsy."
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2004, 11:46:05 pm »

The German conjunction "trotzdem" is, as far as I am concerned, one of the most pleasurable words I've spoken.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2004, 01:01:45 am »

"Trotzdem"?  Ain't that what a trainer does with his hosss?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2004, 02:39:00 am »

German conjunctions are generally wonderful. I've long been a fan of "gegen."
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2004, 02:40:56 am »

DOGFU!

Durch, Ohne, Gegen, Fur and (und) Um!

Obviously an effective mnemonic to have stuck those German pronouns in my head for 20 years.  If only I could remember why I needed to remember them.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2004, 03:16:49 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Durch, Ohne, Gegen, Fur and (und) Um!


Delightfully dissonant though they may be (he said, channelling, somehow, Stan Lee), those are prepositions, babycakes.

Still, I have to echo: the notoriety of the German language as re utility is matched, in a certain light, by its (if not exactly beauty) aural satisfaction / symmetry.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2004, 03:49:38 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Durch, Ohne, Gegen, Fur and (und) Um!


Delightfully dissonant though they may be (he said, channelling, somehow, Stan Lee), those are prepositions, babycakes.


I knew that.  No really, I did.  Aren't they like prepositions that take the dative case or something like that?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up