Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Merriam-Webster Favorite Words  (Read 9544 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2004, 01:31:02 pm »

Durch, Ohne, Gegen, Für and (und) Um take accusative case.

Aus, ausser, bei, mit, nach, seit, von, zu, and (my favorite) gegenüber take dative.

Then there's some that are accusative if they're used involving motion, and dative if involving position.  And others that are genetive, but I never use those.

Verrückte Scheisse.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2004, 02:42:01 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Aus, ausser, bei, mit, nach, seit, von, zu, and (my favorite) gegenüber take dative.


The best way to remember the dative prepositions is to sing them along to that familiar passage from the Blue Danube waltz.

Aus Außer Bei Mit! Nach Seit! Von Zu! As far as fuck*ng gegenüber goes, you're on your own.

I've got about a million of these retarded mneumonic devices. Retarded ones being the only ones that actually, you know, seem to really stick. Ernste Zeiten, Hunde.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2004, 03:26:16 pm »

My aged German is beginning to fail me!
He's usually so good.

I forgot:
helenic.
Don't rightly know why.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2004, 04:38:33 pm »

Quote from: "slink"

I forgot:
helenic.


Is this "Hellenic" (like unto the Greeks) or an adjective I did not previously know (perhaps like unto specifically Helen of Troy, or maybe unto Helen Keller)?
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2004, 04:42:52 pm »

Quote from: "Ben-San"

Is this "Hellenic" (like unto the Greeks) or an adjective I did not previously know (perhaps like unto specifically Helen of Troy, or maybe unto Helen Keller)?


Doh.
Like unto the Greeks indeed.
Didn't notice.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2004, 05:15:51 pm »

No Slink, don't you see!?  You should proudly claim to have created a new term "helenic: likened to Helen Keller, through great struggle to greatness.  eg: Slink's attempts to learn to spell were helenic."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2004, 06:08:08 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
eg: Slink's attempts to learn to spell were helenic."


Well, I was quite impressed by the idea of an Helen Keller noun.
Though Keller is yeat another thing I only know about thanks to American TV.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2004, 07:19:15 pm »

My German is rusty and weather-beaten (it is vestigial, as opposed to my Japanese, which is rudimentary -- and have I mentioned that I love both rudimentary and vestigial?) but I still have some random chunks of it rattling around. The mnemonic device which has stuck best for me was the one we learned in first-year for conjugating "sei" -- Ich bin Pfeffer, du bist Pfeffer, er ist Pfeffer, sie ist Pfeffer, wir sind Pfeffer, ihr seid Pfeffer, sie sind Pfeffer... wollen Sie auch einen Pfeffer? Sei ein Pfeffer, trink Doktor Pfeffer!

I have a brain cell devoted to this, while senior-year calculus is entirely gone. There may or may not be a God, but this seems to suggest that if there is one, He's fuck*ng with me.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2004, 10:17:34 pm »

Oh, the way of mnemonics is a slippery slope indeed.  My bio class was the worst for those.  I still get the steps of the Krebs Cycle running through my head thanks to "Cecil Is Ill Since Fanny Moved Out", and then there's my own invention, "King Philip Can Only Fear Gravel Sandwiches" for the levels of taxonomy.  Stupid brain, why must you work this way.

Sorry, I'm fairly silly... I just got back from several hours of canvassing politely for a bunch of damned socialists
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2004, 11:20:23 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Oh, the way of mnemonics is a slippery slope indeed.  My bio class was the worst for those.  I still get the steps of the Krebs Cycle running through my head thanks to "Cecil Is Ill Since Fanny Moved Out", and then there's my own invention, "King Philip Can Only Fear Gravel Sandwiches" for the levels of taxonomy.  Stupid brain, why must you work this way.

Both of these are gold, and I may want to steal them. I've always been weak with my Krebs cycle, a fact that has caused me great remorse (no, seriously).
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2004, 11:38:28 pm »

The Krebs Cycle and I got along famously.  I have a poster of it in my room, showing where the ATP is produced and everything.  Astonishingly, I also have friends.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2004, 12:09:06 am »

My favorite was

"Come Over Some Day Maybe Play Poker - Three Jacks Cover Two Queens"

Anyone know what that one is for?

"Mary Visits Every Monday And Just Stays Until Noon Period" is the other one I can't forget.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2004, 12:45:06 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
my own invention, "King Philip Can Only Fear Gravel Sandwiches"

My 9th grade biology teacher taught it to us as King's People Come Over For Good Sex.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2004, 12:47:59 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"

Aus Außer Bei Mit! Nach Seit! Von Zu! As far as fuck*ng gegenüber goes, you're on your own.


another word i like to say, out loud like, is "context".

it just rolls off the tounge.


ps- i have A Condition inregards to furry languages.

i have no idea.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Merriam-Webster Favorite Words
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2004, 02:10:30 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
The Krebs Cycle and I got along famously.  


I've always been a fan of the Maynard G. Krebs Cycle.  You know, the one where you start out with bongos and a goatee and end up stranded on a tropical island.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up