Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lileks sux teh coq  (Read 5153 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Lileks sux teh coq
« on: May 26, 2004, 06:33:31 pm »

Go here and scroll down for a rather enjoyable sample Lileks entry.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
Lileks sux teh coq
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 06:57:36 pm »

That guy does a really good Glennn Reynnolds.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Lileks sux teh coq
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 10:03:17 pm »

That was indeed pretty good.  I get nostalgic every once in a while and go read the Bleat, and it's never worth it... except maybe for his usually excellent header designs.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
Lileks sux teh coq
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 10:14:17 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
That was indeed pretty good.  I get nostalgic every once in a while and go read the Bleat, and it's never worth it... except maybe for his usually excellent header designs.

I copy this. I haven't visited Lileks.com in ages, mostly because, even with the Institute stuff, it's such a gorgeous visual design with such frequently-loathsome content.

I rather love the parody here, just because it manages to capture perfectly the hypocrisy of Bleats for about the past two or three years. There's only so long that cute-kid stories stay cute when you realize that Lileks really would, on some personal level, want you to suffer for your political beliefs.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Lileks sux teh coq
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 01:17:28 am »

And the dude is just 9/11 obsessed.  Not that it wasn't a national tragedy and a horrible defining event.  But it's like he's made 9/11 horror the center of his very being.  

Dude, get a grip.  You live in fuck*ng Minneapolis.

Akbar:  O great leader, which decadent festering sore upon the vile body of the Great Satan shall be target next?

Osama:  I have pondered long over this matter, my friend.  Many hours have I spent studying the culture and ways of the cowardly and bloated Americans.  After much thought and prayer, I have come to an inevitable conclusion.

A:  Yes, my captain?

O:  We must strike... Minneapolis.  For it holds that most enormous symbol of American Imperialist Effemininate Commercial Secular Materialism -- THE MALL OF AMERICA.

A:  Accursed Shopping Center!

O:  That, and it's the home of the Metrodome.

A:  Stupid Homer Hankies.

O:  It's was either Minneapolis or Cleveland.  They got the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, and that's hella decadent too, so it was a close call.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Lileks sux teh coq
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 03:05:37 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
O:  That, and it's the home of the Metrodome.


I fully support terrorist acts against the Metrodome.  

Fuckin' Vikings...
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Lileks sux teh coq
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 11:31:55 am »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Fuckin' Vikings...


I know so little about sports that declarations of this sort, or headlines in the sports section about one team defeating another make me laugh.  Dolphins crush Senators, etc.
(yep, those are from different sports... couldn't think of two hockey teams)
Logged
goose means greedy

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Lileks sux teh coq
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 12:38:30 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
I fully support terrorist acts against the Metrodome.  

Fuckin' Vikings...

::Head spins around::

You shall know my wrath, Gimpson. Only Minnesotans are allowed to insult the great and powerful Vikings!

On a side note, I went to high school 3 miles from the mall of america. It really ain't all that great.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Lileks sux teh coq
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 01:16:43 pm »

Quote from: "Mite"

On a side note, I went to high school 3 miles from the mall of america. It really ain't all that great.


there's a rollercoaster made out of snoopy there.

you have high expectations from life, don't you?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Lileks sux teh coq
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 02:49:39 pm »

My team won today.  Of course by my team, I mean a bunch of guys I've never met, playing a sport I'm not very good at, for a university I attended, though I was studying when I was there and they are obviously kicking and throwing things.  So yeah, my team.  Those guys I have nothing in common with and probably wouldn't like in person.  They won.  Won the game.  Let's go throw toilet paper.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Lileks sux teh coq
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 08:50:25 pm »

I entirely approve of the Vikes and the Twins, because honestly, what else can you do?

I will confess that a reason Lileks offends me is that in some way he's a bizarro version of my extended family -- from the same upper-midwest background, with the same pretensions of down-home common sense, but while my mom's folks are actually sensible*, he's some sort of histrionic whine-beast.

* Except for my weird Republican uncle who attempted to raise hairless cats, but he appears to be the exception to the rule.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Lileks sux teh coq
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 09:05:13 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Dolphins crush Senators, etc.
(yep, those are from different sports... couldn't think of two hockey teams)

Well, of course the Fins crush the Sens - it's 11 gladiators to 6! (counting goalie, ok?) Although the 6 have sticks and knives on their feet.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Lileks sux teh coq
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 09:23:46 pm »

On the subject of hilarious sports rivalries, my personal favorite at the moment is the rift between my college and its hated and despised rival, which dates from roughly 1824(1) and has continued with unabated, NCAA-alarming fervor(2) in the adjoining 180 years.

Both my school and its rival are named after colonial figures somehow involved in their inceptions, and in typical uncreative fashion, both have as their mascots the same colonial figures. Thus, we have the eternal rivalry between the Ephs(3) and the Lord Jeffs. I'm surprised our football teams haven't started showing up with bayonets and muskets.

(1) The man who would become Their president was originally one of Our professors; he decided that We were too remote and, with suitable gravitas and respect, he stole half of Our students and half of Our library books before running off to become Them. We send them overdue slips ever so often, but no dice.

(2) This got to the point that, during the Division III basketball playoffs, we got an all-campus e-mail begging those of us who went to the game to please not yell personal insults at Their forwards and that people wearing the "what do They and shit have in common" T-shirts sold at Homecoming would be ejected from the gym. Go Us.

(3) Short for Colonel Ephraim. No connection to matchsticks and doody, as far as I know.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Lileks sux teh coq
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2004, 09:31:41 pm »

What did she say?

There's a Division III?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Lileks sux teh coq
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2004, 09:39:47 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
What did she say?

There's a Division III?

Yes. It is for tiny schools which really shouldn't actually have sports rivalries; my school and Our Hated Rivals are very stubborn about keeping ours in place, lest too much actual studying get done.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up