Hey kids,
I've FINALLY gotten vid clips of August on Jeopardy.
My long ordeal began the week after AW's Jeopardy run when my external USB 2.0 USB capture device arrived.
The quality wasn't so great, and after about a minute of capturing my computer froze - no penis, nothing.
So I sent it back and ordered a much more expensive piece of hardware (about twice the price of the other one) and while the quality was superb, it too made my computer freeze.
I bought a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card to try that. No go. Then I thought, well, that card I bought was pretty cheap, so I bought a Belkin card, the most expensive one, that used the recommended NEC chipset. STILL I had problems.
So I called the video device's tech support, who thought it was a hardware issue (which seemed likely since the entire computer froze - even the fan stopped spinning).
I called HP and they determined that it was in fact a hardware issue and I sent my PC in for service.
Given the other stresses of computerdom that occurred in those two weeks, I decided that while my snazzy PC was in the shop (for about a week) that would be the perfect opportunity to take a little offline vacation (that, and using the old PC would drive anyone to swear off computers anyway).
Monday I got my PC back and much to my surprise they actually fixed the problem! So I spent most of Monday re-installing everything and setting it up, yesterday I had work to do that piled up after being away for a week (I did write 70 pages of a screenplay on an old typewriter during my vacation) and finally was able to capture and edit August's two Jeopardy segments this morning.
While my video capture device does do DivX encoding, I found that the file size was comparable to regular MPEG-1 video at VCD settings, and that the mpeg you could play on pretty much any computer while the DivX would require a special driver.
So I pretty much just do everything in MPEG.
However, the MPEG files for AW's appearances are around 180Mb each, so I have downverted the video into WMV files, which aren't quite as good quality (no where near, actually) but are passable and are only around 50Mb apiece.
Here's a link to each of the two WMV files. I don't know if Mac users can view these, but let me know if you really want to see these and I can get the MPEGs to you.
(okay, they're still uploading - I'll post the links in about half an hour)