Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Rather Parturient Condition- May 27th  (Read 3606 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
A Rather Parturient Condition- May 27th
« on: May 27, 2004, 06:39:04 am »

Okay, it is official. Uncle Culpepper is AMAZING. As is the second to last frame. Ray has finally found someone more easily suckered than him. And the contrast between Culpeppers statements, and Rays translations, is basically treasure.

Also, I finally start a topic.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Acanthopagrus

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 42
    • View Profile
A Rather Parturient Condition- May 27th
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 08:35:35 am »

Ray even looked sceptical at the name Pregnancy F/X. Is he wising up?

This reminded me of a machine they had (have?) at the Sydney Powerhouse museum that takes your photo, and someone else’s. Then returns an image of what your child could look like.
It was nasty.
Logged
keh?

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
A Rather Parturient Condition- May 27th
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 11:29:48 am »

This is indeed a pretty great comic, in that it did in fact make me laugh audibly, or LOL if you will.  
I don't think I would want a picture of myself pregnant or of a child I could accrue during said pregnancy, however.  And now the idea is stuck in my head.  This will be a weird day.
Logged
goose means greedy

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
A Rather Parturient Condition- May 27th
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 12:36:06 pm »

At one of the maternity stores I went to when my sister-in-law was pregnant for the first time, they have a strap-on belly that you can wear to see how different clothes will fit you when you're out to |........) here.  It's kind of amusing, but Sis couldn't convince me to try it on.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
A Rather Parturient Condition- May 27th
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 04:47:39 pm »

Wow. It's not just Ray who is the greatest, it's just his entire family. Great stuff.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
A Rather Parturient Condition- May 27th
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 05:06:50 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
At one of the maternity stores I went to when my sister-in-law was pregnant for the first time, they have a strap-on belly that you can wear to see how different clothes will fit you when you're out to |........) here.  It's kind of amusing, but Sis couldn't convince me to try it on.


I took a bunch of actors to the costume lab of the U of Wpg theatre department because I needed to get them suited of for a play I was directing, and while they were trying on costumes, I found a pregnancy belly.  I wore it around school under my clothes for several hours, went to the cafeteria and talked very loudly about how drunk I got at the bar the night before.  People looked very angry.  T'was funny.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
A Rather Parturient Condition- May 27th
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 08:36:06 pm »

Yes, now that you mention it, I took a tour of the costume warehouse of the Stratford Festival when I was little, and my second-favourite thing after being able to try on comedic hats was the long row of various fake pregnancy/Falstaff bellies slung casually along a railing.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
A Rather Parturient Condition- May 27th
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 08:45:06 pm »

This strip is basically like treasure, particularly Uncle Culpepper's phrasing. We need more use of the phrase "parturient condition."
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
A Rather Parturient Condition- May 27th
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 08:54:53 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
I took a bunch of actors to the costume lab of the U of Wpg theatre department because I needed to get them suited of for a play I was directing, and while they were trying on costumes, I found a pregnancy belly.  I wore it around school under my clothes for several hours, went to the cafeteria and talked very loudly about how drunk I got at the bar the night before.  People looked very angry.  T'was funny.

Sweet!

I'm afraid I'm not completely sold on Uncle Culpepper. This is twice in two days, however, that I've read the word "parturient".
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
A Rather Parturient Condition- May 27th
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 08:59:28 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

I'm afraid I'm not completely sold on Uncle Culpepper. This is twice in two days, however, that I've read the word "parturient".

To be fair, Uncle Culpepper could still go either way, at least in my opinion. He's funny now, but if he keeps this up too long, it'll get old. It really just depends whether 'stad handles the character gracefully or not -- and that, as always, is a big ol' open question.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
A Rather Parturient Condition- May 27th
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 09:02:12 pm »

I'm fairly certain that it's just me, but the whole "hey look, we're talking old-timey" just doesn't do it too much for me. I love the character art, though, and the concept in this strip. It's just the dialog that I'm not fully into.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
A Rather Parturient Condition- May 27th
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 09:05:03 pm »

Anyone ever see the SNL with Christopher Walken skit about Colonel Angus?  That's what this strip reminds me of.  Perhaps this is why it hasn't really won me over yet either.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
A Rather Parturient Condition- May 27th
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 09:06:17 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I'm fairly certain that it's just me, but the whole "hey look, we're talking old-timey" just doesn't do it too much for me. I love the character art, though, and the concept in this strip. It's just the dialog that I'm not fully into.

See, I confess I'm digging it just for the turn of phrase. Onstad really has a talent for pithy dialogue, and it's particularly demonstrated when he writes these sort of "character dialects"; since he's writing the old-timeyness in a clever way, I can dig, much in the same way that his "slightly antiquated Californian slang" style was a jumping-off point for particularly clever dialogue with Ray and eventually solid character voices.

But hey, YMMV.
Logged

beetle

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12
    • View Profile
A Rather Parturient Condition- May 27th
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2004, 07:44:29 am »

It is possible Ray is the creator of Pregnancy F/X, as part of a strange cycle of nephews defrauding uncles over the internet?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
A Rather Parturient Condition- May 27th
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2004, 01:04:27 pm »

It is now.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up