Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

So now we know who reads the News Box.  Hello Jaydub.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gatorade - June 3/04  (Read 5303 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Gatorade - June 3/04
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 04:07:32 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
It's totally Little Nephew who shot him this time.  Totally.

I thought that at first too, since it says "Nephew!" but don't forget that Culpepper is Ray's uncle and thus LN's great uncle.

Since the bullet passed clean through this time I guess it won't mess up Beef's wireless internet or Aibo lung.
Logged

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Gatorade - June 3/04
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2004, 06:45:38 pm »

I was cheering at the last panel. Who knew a depressed cat's death could bring such joy?

I hope this was a stroke of genius and not Onstad all being out of ideas and like "well, i guess i could off Beef again......(sigh)"
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Gatorade - June 3/04
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2004, 07:14:25 pm »

I'm excited.  After the golf talk in another thread, I was rereading the Nightlife Mingus storyline just yesterday and ended up wondering when we'd see Molly again.

So the question is:  Will beef confront Molly about his discovery in her bathroom last time they met?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Gatorade - June 3/04
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2004, 09:04:04 pm »

Quote from: "sailor"
I was cheering at the last panel. Who knew a depressed cat's death could bring such joy?

I hope this was a stroke of genius and not Onstad all being out of ideas and like "well, i guess i could off Beef again......(sigh)"

I fear that. At this point it almost feels like Beef dying is sort of the way for Onstad to end an arc that he isn't quite satisfied with; I guess I would have hoped for a better ending, or at least a more unique one.

I do like Emeril's dialect, though. Aggryvated!
Logged

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
Gatorade - June 3/04
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2004, 09:14:05 pm »

Okay, does Emeril have an accent/dialect that somebody here recognizes or is Onstad having a laugh? "He did grab hine heart"? The hell?
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Gatorade - June 3/04
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2004, 10:56:17 pm »

I was struggling with Emeril's 'dialect', too. I don't know who says 'hine'.

How many times has beef been dead now? (assuming he's going to die this time)...Shot twice, wrecked the golf cart and self-electrocuted so far, I think. Were there more?

Uncle C is in for a good time if Tina tried to swallow that Crazy Stick the long way to impress him. Stupid to shove it in her windpipe, though.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Gatorade - June 3/04
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2004, 12:18:16 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
How many times has beef been dead now? (assuming he's going to die this time)...Shot twice, wrecked the golf cart and self-electrocuted so far, I think. Were there more?

We know that Ray shot Beef at least once before the strip started then again when he got the wireless internet.

But when Beef was in seen in heaven after Pat shot him he's acting like it's new to him. So either the Ray shootings didn't kill Beef, he went to hell during those (unlikely), or he went to some kind of purgatory (but then what did he do to get upgraded to heaven in the meantime?).

So I'm going to say the Ray shootings so far have not been fatal for Beef.
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Gatorade - June 3/04
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2004, 12:37:03 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Wow, I was really not expecting this, but I'm always for more hot Molly-Beef action.
Isn't Molly the cutest girl name? Can't you see yourself with a girl like that? All eating shepard's pie, going to bookstores and coffee shops, all listening to the Dirty Three and reading in bed.




God I'm so alone.


I was in love with a girl named Molly once.  Then she moved off to college and I never seen her agin.  It was also hella awkward when I revealed my crush. The prose in that love letter was so purple I bet it stained her fingers.
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Gatorade - June 3/04
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2004, 01:45:33 am »

My OED has this to say about hine:
Quote
Obs. exc. dial.

Forms: 1 hiene, 1–2 hyne, 1–4 hine, 2–5 hin, 4–5 hyn, hen; 8–9 s.w. dial. en, un, 'n. [OE. hine, hiene, accusative of he; cognate w. OFris. hine (hini, hin), MDu. hin, hen; and parallel in inflexion to OS. and Goth. ina, OHG. in, inan (MLG. ine, ene, MHG. in, Ger. ihn).

In English, as in Frisian and Dutch, this original accusative has been superseded by the dative him. Already before 1000, traces are found of the dative form used instead of the acc., and before 1150 hine was obsolete in the north and midlands. Hine was used in Kentish (beside him) in 1340, but appears rarely in literature after 1400, though still, in the reduced form Sn, En, 'n ((@)n), the ordinary form of the accusative in s.w. dialects, as ‘we zeed 'n gwayn’, we saw him going. (See Barnes Dorset Gram. (1863) 20, Elworthy W. Somerset Gram. (1877) 36.)]

   = him, direct objective. Also refl.

   c855 O.E. Chron. (Parker MS.) an. 787 Hiene mon ofslo¼.  898 Ibid. an. 894 Hi hine ne mehton ferian.  c1000 Gosp. Nicodemus v, Gelęde hyne in to me.  1126 O.E. Chron. (Laud MS.), He sende him to Walingeforde+and let hine don on harde bande.  c1175 Lamb. Hom. 19 We hine sculde luuian.  Ibid. 23 Ža man že beoš in že castel and hin Šemeš.  c1205 Lay. 584 Mid him he hine lędde.  Ibid. 26371 Let hine halden France [c1275 let him holde].  a1225 Ancr. R. 86 Že uorme+preiseš hine biuoren himsulf, & makeš hine+Šet betere žen he beo.  c1250 Gen. & Ex. 3004 FleŠes kin sal hin ouergon.  c1250 O. Kent. Serm. in O.E. Misc. 26 Hi wolden gon for to hyne anuri.  Ibid. 27 Al swo hi hedden ifonden ure louerd, swo hin anurede.  1340 Ayenb. 16 LiŠtbere že angel+him wolde emni to god, žet hine zo uayr an zuo guod hedde y-mad.  c1450 Lonelich Grail xxxviii. 374, I saw hyn fyhten as I vndirstond.  1746 Exmoor Scold. (E.D.S.) 208 Whan tha hadst cort en by the heend Legs o'en.  Ibid. 256 Tha wud'st ha' borst en to Shivers, nif chad net a-vung en.  a1754 Fielding Fathers iii. i, I would a brought un to town, but the dogs would not spare un.  1785 S. Fielding Ophelia II. iv, They called the dead halloo, and cried out—‘To-un, boys, to-un!’  1856 Punch Jan. 37 Each feller I met, ‘Didst thee zee un?’ did cry.  
                     
   b. Rarely (by confusion) for the dative.

   1127 O.E. Chron. (Laud MS.), Se kyng of France+ięf hine žone eorldom, and žet land folc him wiš toc
Wikipedia has a nice discussion of language cases; you can look up the accusative and the dative there. I did, but I'm no smarter about this than I was before. Sigh.
Logged

TALKYdude

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Gatorade - June 3/04
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2004, 01:47:50 am »

Wouldn't it be creepy if, each feller you met, "didst thee zee un" wouldst he cry?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Gatorade - June 3/04
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2004, 10:43:25 am »

I thought it didn't sound right, but I resisted looking it up because I am trying not to be in that line of work, or thought, anymore.

So Emeril is terribly confused then, if 'hine' is accusative or even confusedly dative, because he should be using a genitive at that position in that sentence.  I wonder if Onstad got a bad grade in Old English Grammar.  (And here I resist the impulse to look up whether they offer Old English at Stanford. They certainly ought to.)

Perhaps he is terribly drunk? (Emeril, not Onstad.) I don't know if that's the sort of mistake drunk people make, though.  There's so little case-marking in English, it's hard to test.  Do any of you find yourselves mixing up 'she' and 'her', for example, when under the influence?  

PS Oh god poor Beef. I totally did not see this coming, I am every author's easily surprised dream reader.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

palm trees

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 203
    • View Profile
Gatorade - June 3/04
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2004, 11:42:21 am »

so depending on wich way we look at it, beef is either down to 7 lives, or 3. jesus, you'd better be able to get a refill.
Logged
[size=10]***DESTROY VINYL***[/size][/color]

Steve Hogan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
    • View Profile
    • http://www.steve-hogan.com/
Gatorade - June 3/04
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2004, 04:16:30 pm »

If I was an insurance salesman, I would not take business from either Roast Beef or Shelley from Scary-Go-Round.  Those two are definitely high risk.
Logged

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
Gatorade - June 3/04
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2004, 11:47:16 pm »

Dude, Spongebath and Emeril are totally Juggalos.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up