Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?  (Read 10048 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2004, 03:24:57 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
A gelatninous dodecahedron could just about roll, making it much faster in its pursuit of your party.  I would think that a gelantinous cube would be pretty slow.


Yes. Like that awesome scene at the beginning of Cloak & Dagger.

Although I somehow feel that inherent cuteness is inversely proportional to the number of sides; you could count on the cube to be dopey and affable, like a labrador retriever, but a dodecahedron or other million-dollar shapes of similar complexity would probably end up all snarky and selgiraffe (like an expensive cat, or a teenage girl who types in alternating caps).

EDIT: This thread is like a bonfire upon which we can just throw all last remnants of pretense of social function or credibility
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2004, 04:33:05 pm »

Cubes? Dodecahedrons? We're getting dangerously close to Gleep territory here, people. Conversations about D&D, wrestling weddings, and giraffe placentas are one thing but Hanna Barbarra cartoons?

Have you no shame?
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2004, 04:53:33 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Yes. Like that awesome scene at the beginning of Cloak & Dagger.

Although I somehow feel that inherent cuteness is inversely proportional to the number of sides; you could count on the cube to be dopey and affable, like a labrador retriever, but a dodecahedron or other million-dollar shapes of similar complexity would probably end up all snarky and selgiraffe (like an expensive cat, or a teenage girl who types in alternating caps).


Cloak & Dagger ruled!  As to snarky dodecahedra, nothing can beat Bit from Tron.  Another wonderous video-game based movie.

No no nononononono!
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2004, 05:36:48 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Yes. Like that awesome scene at the beginning of Cloak & Dagger.


Cloak & Dagger ruled!


As a youngster, I attempted to make up a role playing game based on Cloak & Dagger.  That was about as far as I delved into role playing, though.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2004, 08:56:21 pm »

I would totally buy a tame gelatinous dodecahedron to destroy my enemies. Even a gelatinous icosahedron, were such a thing possible.

(Dorkiest aside ever: I remember once becoming a valuable team asset in an inter-school math contest in high school because I was the only person on the team who knew what an icosahedron looked like, which was vital to one of the problems. Nobody ever say that D&D doesn't teach you anything.)
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2004, 09:10:49 pm »

When our 9th grade biology teacher mentioned that the head of a virus microbe was a decahedron, I pulled one out of my dice bag and played show and tell.

I was the belle of the ball.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2004, 09:19:13 pm »

CHRIST.
I spent $20 on comic books today. I don't have a girlfriend. I'm geek friends with most of the record store cashiers in my city. I bought a certain type of guitar because Link Wray used to play one. The other day, I thought about buying a "Hero Clix" Starter Pack. Yet this board seems to exist only to show me that no matter how deep I dig into the Geek Mine, I can never really hit the bottom.
It's a good thing all of my online crushes are all into role-playing; I can now own a tiny statue of Kitty Pryde with no fear of being maligned.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2004, 09:51:03 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
When our 9th grade biology teacher mentioned that the head of a virus microbe was a decahedron, I pulled one out of my dice bag and played show and tell.

I was the belle of the ball.

Well, you certainly are my hero.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2004, 10:43:04 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
CHRIST.
I spent $20 on comic books today. I don't have a girlfriend. I'm geek friends with most of the record store cashiers in my city. I bought a certain type of guitar because Link Wray used to play one. The other day, I thought about buying a "Hero Clix" Starter Pack. Yet this board seems to exist only to show me that no matter how deep I dig into the Geek Mine, I can never really hit the bottom.
It's a good thing all of my online crushes are all into role-playing; I can now own a tiny statue of Kitty Pryde with no fear of being maligned.

http://www.brunching.com/geekhierarchy.html
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2004, 10:54:26 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
http://www.brunching.com/geekhierarchy.html


God bless Lore.  By his reckoning, I'm pretty near the respectable top of that chart, as I go no lower than "Comic book fan"
Logged
goose means greedy

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2004, 03:38:56 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
CHRIST.
I spent $20 on comic books today. I don't have a girlfriend.


What?  A guy who wears Capri ##### and reads comic books doesn't have a girlfriend?  

You must be pulling my leg!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2004, 03:59:47 am »

Hey, man, I'll admit it. I read superhero comics. DEAL WITH IT WORLD.
Actually, there's this really awesome series out right now from DC called "The  New Frontier," which is essentially historical fiction set in the post-WW2 world, where, among tons of other stuff, McCarthy and Cohn have turned their sights from the entertainment industry to the masked vigilantes, forcing them all to register and reveal their true identities. It's really amazing, and the artwork very much calls to mind the styles of the 50's. Here's the site for it. Personally, I think you should all buy it but HEY. What evs.

One day, you will ALL read comics. OH YES.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2004, 05:03:44 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
What?  A guy who wears Capri ***** and reads comic books doesn't have a girlfriend?


There are plenty of awesome girls who occasionally dig their boys in drag.

There are also plenty of awesome girls who also can and do read comic books - yes, superhero comic books - without having their arms twisted into awful and sinister ways and places behind ye olde back.

DON'T MAKE ME DRAW THE DAMN VENN DIAGRAM

Quote from: "Bozack"
Actually, there's this really awesome series out right now from DC called "The New Frontier"


Haven't read it, yet, but the whole masked vigilante witch-hunt motif  smacks of Watchmen, a/k/a the gateway drug. People who think they don't like superhero comics Get Served after being loaned Watchmen and discovering that they cannot put it down. I don't think I have an ex who got away without, through the brilliant work of Alan Moore et al, a jones for the four-color.

JACK'S AGILITY IS TWENTY-FOUR; HE ESCAPES
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2004, 07:43:05 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Watchmen, a/k/a the gateway drug.


It's funny because it's true!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Gelatinous ...Cubes? Ranching? Whaa...?
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2004, 12:05:13 am »

I never said I didn't like comics.  However, in my experience as a single person (which is almost 20 years ago now -- YIKES!) superhero comics never helped my love life.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up