Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: One Million Bullets.  (Read 5507 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
One Million Bullets.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2004, 10:55:49 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Nintendo had a couple early games that mixed side-scrolling with vert-scrolling; I wish I could remember what they were called (not C.O.B.R.A.), something like Venom or Virus or Antibody or T-Cell. Something remotely biological. I liked those.

There was Stinger. Look out! Watermelon slices with eyes are attacking!
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
One Million Bullets.
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2004, 10:59:30 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
I wish I could remember what they were called (not C.O.B.R.A.), something like Venom or Virus or Antibody or T-Cell. Something remotely biological. I liked those.


Abadox and Life Force were both intensely biological shooters, as (if my memory serves me right) they both involved, essentially, flying into the body of some galaxy-sized menace and killing it from the inside. The final Boss Battle of Life Force was actually the creature's soul, if you can grok that. Said Soul being basically a giant pissed-off serpent writhing around a big, monocular orb. This was extremely cool at the time.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
One Million Bullets.
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2004, 12:48:43 am »

Random fact: Life Force was actually Gradius 2. All the games in that series had the same power-up structure which was ripped off by shooters for years to come.

Oh, and the best power-up was the Options. W00t!
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
One Million Bullets.
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2005, 05:24:18 am »

I am bumping this because I like video games and nobody mentioned the Raiden series, inexplicably. I swear, Raiden 2 introduced the iconic "Purple Snakey Toothpaste Laser Weapon", and that counts for nothing with you people?
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
One Million Bullets.
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2005, 09:25:52 pm »

Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
I swear, Raiden 2 introduced the iconic "Purple Snakey Toothpaste Laser Weapon", and that counts for nothing with you people?


I was first introduced to this weapon's ugly sister in Blazing Lazers (sic) for the TurboGrafx(sic)-16; it was more like blue ribbed angular toothpaste, but yeah. I can't even remember if Raiden 2 was playable in MAME when I started this thread (and I haven't even fired up MAME / the old IRC watering hole at least since San fuck*ng Andreas, which I know totally blows my credibility); I've heard good things, though.

Speaking of iconic weapons: why was the best looking weapon in Gradius (the ripple) also the fuck*ng weaksauce?
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
One Million Bullets.
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2005, 04:56:39 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I was first introduced to this weapon's ugly sister in Blazing Lazers (sic) for the TurboGrafx(sic)-16; it was more like blue ribbed angular toothpaste, but yeah. I can't even remember if Raiden 2 was playable in MAME when I started this thread (and I haven't even fired up MAME / the old IRC watering hole at least since San fuck*ng Andreas, which I know totally blows my credibility); I've heard good things, though.

Speaking of iconic weapons: why was the best looking weapon in Gradius (the ripple) also the fuck*ng weaksauce?


As far as I know, none of the Raidens are playable in MAME, at least none past the original, which was toothpasteless.

I think it's pretty common now for the ugliest thing in any game to be the most useful. If you want to look stylish while playing a video game, you have to make some sacrifices.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
One Million Bullets.
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2005, 05:06:15 am »

Meh. I never excelled at games like that. Give me the Concrete Donkey any day.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
One Million Bullets.
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2005, 01:59:20 pm »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Meh. I never excelled at games like that. Give me the Concrete Donkey any day.

Finally.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up