Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Trivial Pursuit categories  (Read 12292 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Trivial Pursuit categories
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2004, 05:05:49 pm »

I've always played Trivial Pursuit as a team game, which makes 'one player gets ginormous lead' situations less common. This is especially true since we do not play very formally so it is never entirely clear who is on which team at any given time.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Trivial Pursuit categories
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2004, 04:20:15 pm »

We don't play Trivial Pursuit much anymore, mostly because of insurmountable-lead problems (and card-memorization issues), but the idea of semi-feral "team" Trivial Pursuit appeals to me greatly. I'll have to see about it the next time I'm in a situation where anyone I know owns a normal version. (I steadfastly refuse to play theme TPs, if only because the people I know who own them would destroy me quickly and thoroughly.)
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Trivial Pursuit categories
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2004, 05:25:12 pm »

I have seen Trivial Pursuit ruin many happy relationships.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Trivial Pursuit categories
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2004, 05:57:01 pm »

ssc:

when i was wee littler, on family trips we would take the box of trivial pursuit cards.  given my poor memory for precise details, everyone had memorized the entire 2 boxes of cards through sheer repetition, except me.

to this day, i hate trivial pursuit.

i hate it.

stupid pies.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Trivial Pursuit categories
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2004, 09:10:30 pm »

I was raised on Trivial Pursuit, and I love it with all my heart.  The only scarring memory I have from it at the moment is when I, age 11 or so, was reading a question and was mocked by my family for pronouncing Goethe as Go-eth.
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Trivial Pursuit categories
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2004, 10:59:15 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
mocked by my family for pronouncing Goethe as Go-eth.


Well, it was sloppy of them to not use an umlaut. I mean it's not really acceptable.


I used to play Trivial Pursuit every year with my family. We always played it around Christmas for some reason. And power cuts.
The 1982 Scottish Genus Edition.
So the sports questions were fuck*ng impossible, and most of the entertainment ones were bizarre scottish TV shows from the 60's and 70's and shit. I used to be on a team with my mom, but then we had no orange knowhow. But our brown knowledge was tiptop thanks to my mother.
I was good at green and blue. And yellow to some extent.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Trivial Pursuit categories
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2004, 04:41:44 am »

I suck at trivia.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Trivial Pursuit categories
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2004, 06:28:05 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I was raised on Trivial Pursuit, and I love it with all my heart.  The only scarring memory I have from it at the moment is when I, age 11 or so, was reading a question and was mocked by my family for pronouncing Goethe as Go-eth.


Ha, I'm actually, to some degree, verbally dyslexic; although I can write really well, and my vocabulary is pretty large (eat that, SAT! 800 WOOT!), I mispronounce basically everything. This comes, I'm pretty sure, from reading absolute tons as a child but not really having in-depth conversations with anyone. This has lead to extensive problems, the most obvious of which is the gyro/hero/gyro (pronounced "HI-YERO"), which has repeatedly resulted in me getting something random on a hero roll instead of the lamb and tzaki sauce I CRAVE.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Trivial Pursuit categories
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2004, 12:44:19 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
I used to play Trivial Pursuit every year with my family. We always played it around Christmas for some reason. And power cuts.


My folks used to play Trivial Pursuit at parties with their other adult friends, and I always used to always be able to hang in there with the adults.  This used to make me think I was smart, but later I realized that everyone else was just drunk.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Trivial Pursuit categories
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2004, 12:54:53 pm »

You know, considering the content of most of our threads we might have been better off going with You Don't Know Jack categories.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Trivial Pursuit categories
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2004, 01:16:52 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
This used to make me think I was smart, but later I realized that everyone else was just drunk.


Truer words hath not been spoke.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Trivial Pursuit categories
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2004, 09:26:08 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
The only scarring memory I have from it at the moment is when I, age 11 or so, was reading a question and was mocked by my family for pronouncing Goethe as Go-eth.


Amazing, out of literally thousands and thousands of Episodes, the ones that stick, eh?

Same story, slightly younger, different detail: Mount Fuji (FOOGE-eye).

I had only guessed at its existence because of Pole Position.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Trivial Pursuit categories
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2004, 02:46:48 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"

I had only guessed at its existence because of Pole Position.


oh my, oh my goodness.

i'm glad i was sitting down for that.

it's always a jolt when you realize why something is the way it is.

i don't think i'd thought, consciously, of that game, time, place, circumstance in a great, long while.  what was it of Pole Position that transfixed so?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

V-Adore

  • Guest
Trivial Pursuit categories
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2004, 06:10:51 pm »

I pronounced "Goethe" as "Goth," with a hard O, until about eighth grade, because before then I'd never, ever heard the word "Goethe" being actually spoken.

I have the same problem as Bozack sometimes, and I had it even worse when I was a kid; there are quite simply some words that you just never hear spoken, so you sort of have to guess.

I'm sure you've been told this before, but: hard-g "gee-roe," Bozack. Or at least "gye-roe," which is a common enough mispronunciation that you'll at least get a gyro out of it.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Trivial Pursuit categories
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2004, 06:53:24 pm »

Youall are lucky that these things happened to you when you were 11.

I didn't know 'epitome' was four syllables till I was in high school.

I was in graduate school before I knew that La Jolla, California was the same as the place pronounced La Hoy-uh.  And that San Joachim was the same as the place pronounced San Wa-keem.  

Similarly, I was a grownup before I realized that the reason that it had made sense for the Soviet Union to invade Afghanistan was that they, like, shared a border. I think I had always vaguely thought it was in Africa or somewhere and that it must have been a really big deal to get the Soviet army there.

I blame most of this on my East Coast, excessively experimental but public so somewhat half-assed high school education.  But it doesn't make a person feel any less stupid to have an excuse.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up