Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.  (Read 7109 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« on: June 13, 2004, 07:42:01 pm »

I've got a new page design for a business the missus and I are starting (more on that at a later date).

Would y'all mind taking a look & commenting?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 09:25:37 pm »

I am far from expert in this sort of thing, so all I can offer is my layman's opinion.

I liked the general layout and the banner.

I did not like the background.  Too busy -- distracted me from the text.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 12:08:44 am »

I dig it (again with the caveat that I'm a layman).  Is the background from squidfingers?  I really like their aesthetic.
Logged
goose means greedy

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 01:19:33 am »

I liked the background and I like it even better if it is from a place called Squidfingers.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 01:56:55 am »

I like the taters. I call my sweetie my little red potato. I don't mind the background, and I especially like the non-symetricallity.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 02:09:53 am »

Actually, I drew the background based on that found on cameronmoll.com (found via Zeldman). Flip the scalloping, switch the shadows, adjust the colors, and create a new pattern inside the scallop, and voila. I might try it a bit more washed-out, though. However - his is a 1600px-wide background which includes the shadow to the text; mine is a small pattern, with different techniques on the shadow.

Now, I'm the furthest thing from a designer. I steal bits and pieces, and have tiny little ideas, but pushing pixels is one of the most difficult technical tasks in which I endeavor. Coding is my game, and I'm trying to keep the pixel-pushing to a minimum. Most of that layout is CSS.


...er, </geek>

UPDATE: I scrolled through squidfingers, and found something interesting. It would seem my scalloping background comes indirectly from squidfingers.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 02:50:46 am »

I don't understand you when you talk like that, and quite frankly, it frightens me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 03:17:25 am »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
UPDATE: I scrolled through squidfingers, and found something interesting. It would seem my scalloping background comes indirectly from squidfingers.


Good good... this way I get to be right-ish AND you can keep your web-designey cred.
Logged
goose means greedy

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 03:38:54 am »

AH- but I'm making my own from scratch right now, a little more food-related. I'll show you when it's done.

UPDATE: Yeah, it's done.

The bee's cheesy, I know, but this is still a prototype.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 06:08:53 am »

Wow.  Yellow.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 06:12:12 am »

I liked the red one better.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2004, 01:15:46 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"

Would y'all mind taking a look & commenting?


i feel mid-sized garden.
i feel brightness and happiness.

i feel i must tell you that i really don't like yellow, but that the yellowness you are enslaving doesn't make me want to immediately close my browser.  the bee may be "cheesy" but he appears to be happy.

i like the banner.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2004, 02:31:07 pm »

I think I liked the other one better, but this one is pretty cool. I liked the old background shape better. The bee looks jaggedy to me which jars with the taters. I like taters.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2004, 02:39:12 pm »

I like it quite a bit - if the context of the site is to be wholesome-natural, you've got it.  I'd like to see a more realistic bee, as the food stuffs are all real photos and the cartoon-y bee doesn't quite jive for me.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2004, 04:40:08 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
pushing pixels is one of the most difficult technical tasks in which I endeavor


Quote from: "Choopernickel"
The bee's cheesy, I know, but this is still a prototype.


The bee will be replaced. If I keep the honeycomb, which I probably will. The bee will also fly in and alight at a random spot on the honeycomb, but only on the first visit of the session. That's no problem. Making a realistic-looking bee with a transparent background (.gif format, I have to support IE too) is a problem. Any volunteers?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up