Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.  (Read 7107 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2004, 04:44:03 pm »

I think you need to dial-down the saturation on that background a bit - it's very... yellow.  And distracting.

I don't know, I'd try upping the lightness and downing the saturation.  I assume you have Photoshop.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2004, 05:02:04 pm »

I thought about that too, but I want the honeycomb (if I keep it) to be a little more realistic than abstract, and I want the bee to appear at the same intensity. If you see a washed-out bee flying around a washed-out honeycomb, belief will be more difficult to suspend than a normal-looking bee and a normal-looking honeycomb, yes? A washed-out honeycomb with a normal-looking bee just plain won't work.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2004, 05:04:55 pm »

Yeah, okay, but the bee is five times too big to fit into those honeycombs.

And the honeycombs themselves are too even and yellow to look realistic (they should be a little orangier).

So a tiny 10px bee flying into perfectly repeating honeycombs... you see what I mean?

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2004, 08:59:01 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, okay, but the bee is five times too big to fit into those honeycombs.


I do kinda like the idea of a gigantic bee permanently exiled from his geometric home and community, but perhaps this was not the desired effect of your web-site.
Logged
goose means greedy

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2004, 09:02:01 pm »

The little research I did on bee-size to honeycomb-size showed some proportion actually fairly similar to what's there.


Again: I'm not a graphic designer.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2004, 10:24:33 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
perfectly repeating honeycombs... you see what I mean?


And therein lies the rub: I can't responsibly make a natural-looking honeycomb, because it'll always be perfectly repeating. I'm working up a new version, and I've also made a washed-out version of the pink, but I think the missus is hooked on the honeycomb already.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2004, 02:55:01 am »

Is this new site to be for Mrs. Choop's new blog?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2004, 03:17:34 am »

No, this new site is to be for the Choops' (yes, plural possessive) new company: a Personal Chef service for the Atlanta Metro area. We're six and tarred sick and tired of working for other people, and there is plenty of money in that market. Plus, we're damned good cooks, and love each other enough for work not to get in the way. So that helps.

Now it's up to successful marketing and management-of-the-company, and we should be set for years based on a successful venture such as this. In a few years, we'll franchise to a caterer who happens to be interested in the brand, but until then we'll happily drive around town cooking in various and sundry peoples' homes for ca$h mon€y.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2004, 06:15:18 am »

Awesome.  So have you thrown all good sense to the wind and quit your well-paying jobs yet?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2004, 11:17:53 am »

Not just yet. We're stockpiling savings, and making sure our infrastructure is sound before we take that path. Plus we're going to have to go from like 2 clients/week to like 10 in just a couple weeks, so that's going to be tough.

BUT: we'll be free from the bonds that hold us prisoners to the MAN today. Something to look forward to.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2004, 03:05:38 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
BUT: we'll be free from the bonds that hold us prisoners to the MAN today. Something to look forward to.


Nah, you're just trading them for a different (perhaps more comfortable) set of bonds.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2004, 04:47:38 pm »

The point is we'll hold our own bonds. We shan't be prisoners to THE MAN any further, we'll be held only to our own obligations. That's the goal.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2004, 04:59:48 pm »

Well that's where I'm at right now Choop.  It's a weird naked feeling to have no "boss."  This is the first time since my first job at the ripe old age of 15 1/2 that I haven't had someone telling me what to do.  Every so often I feel breifly paniced because the synapses haven't yet accepted that I'm getting paid to do what I want, how I want.  I have a moment of thinking "oh my god, I have to find a job!"-type panic, like I used to during breif periods of unemployment that I've had in the past.  10 years of being someone else's employee is very hard to break!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2004, 05:11:58 pm »

Choop, this is one of those important turning point moments in your life and I'm happy for you - not having to work hard to make someone else rich is a step in the right direction.

The advice that people gave me when I went into business for myself (and believe me, they gave advice whether I asked for it or not) was to save my salary for three full months when I decided to quit - so that I'd see what it was like to live off of my business income and then have three full months of backup should something go wrong.

Actually, they said "six months" as looking for work can take longer than three these days.  But still, things will probably be tight for the first year (even if you're successful, because you'll be re-investing money into your business to grow it) and you'll be doing the job that five people in your previous line of work used to do.

But if you hate sleeping and don't mind being poor for awhile now to enjoy the fruits later (that delayed gratification thing was something that I could never quite grasp, myself) then you're on your way to living...

THE AMERICAN DREAM[/color]

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Plz rvw pg dsn. thx.
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2004, 08:50:51 pm »

This is not the first self-employment venture in our small family. When we lived in Tampa -shudder- we had a catering company, which happened to use the same name as this one will. The missus catered her head off for a year, but the money wasn't coming in like we'd hoped (so that I could join her in the company), and then vengeful parents at the school where she did lunches and cooked all the rest of the food too gave her the boot: the fourth caterer they'd fired in as many years. So we hung it up and came back to Atlanta shortly after that.

The kicker was that we were in the black the whole time we had that company. We can do this, man, we can do this.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. That means a lot.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up