Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: June 14, 2004 - Molly?  (Read 7636 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

llimllib

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
June 14, 2004 - Molly?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2004, 05:14:07 pm »

This comic strip kind of punched me in the face and then put its arm around me without saying anything.
Logged
Peace.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
June 14, 2004 - Molly?
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2004, 05:27:27 pm »

Also, what is it with strange duos this month.  First Emeril and Spongebath, now these two.  Are Jay and Silent Bob gonna make a cameo?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
June 14, 2004 - Molly?
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2004, 05:50:33 pm »

Achewood is one of the rare drops amid a flood of media I consume daily that can every so often provide a very special commodity, something new.  I don't know these characters or this place.  I don't even really know the feeling being evoked by this strip very well.  It's all so strange.  Surreal but specific.  The idea of heaven burning down is not a new one.  Our idea of heaven is so limited, it almost follows that you should be able to die there and go somewhere else.  The visual and lexical style of this place -- to me -- is something truly new.  And while I don't think that Onstad is some sort of cereberal genius, he has a certain innate talent for weaving old ideas into new feelings.

Something like that.
Logged

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
June 14, 2004 - Molly?
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2004, 08:42:33 pm »

Beef is Tom Joad all coming back to "where the hell done evr'body gone to?"
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
June 14, 2004 - Molly?
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2004, 09:00:25 pm »

I'm still really creeped out... but intruiged to see where this is going, if anywhere, i.e. whether we'll get closure on the whole metaafterlife concept.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
June 14, 2004 - Molly?
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2004, 09:54:44 pm »

The best term used in this thread to describe this is jarring.

For some reason I'm drawn to this strip again and again; the idea that Heaven can burn; that there are winos in the street in front of it, that souls can die. Everything we hope isn't possible played out before our wretched eyes, that reality gets no better in the afterlife. At least hell had Friendly's and KFC. And probably won't be affected much by burning.

Good Christ I need a drink and it's only lunchtime.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
June 14, 2004 - Molly?
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2004, 09:56:05 pm »

Lunchtime for you.

Beer:thirty for me.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
June 14, 2004 - Molly?
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2004, 09:58:53 pm »

Lunchtime for you is get up time for me, though.

And AdultSwim starts at, like, 7 pm here so I can watch ATHF every day and still go to bed before 10...
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
June 14, 2004 - Molly?
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2004, 10:01:37 pm »

Well played, friend!

WELL PLAYED! AH-HA-HA-HAAAA-HA!
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
June 14, 2004 - Molly?
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2004, 10:08:53 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
And AdultSwim starts at, like, 7 pm here so I can watch ATHF every day and still go to bed before 10...

Me too. It's called a TiVo.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
June 14, 2004 - Molly?
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2004, 10:10:43 pm »

If I wanted to watch yesterday's Adult Swim, I'd get me one o' dem TIVOs...
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
June 14, 2004 - Molly?
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2004, 12:25:18 am »

Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
I heard creepy 30s jazz the whole time I was reading that strip. Tres Betty Boop.


Yea. I had something like that going on when I read it.
Definite mysterious, smokey jazz feel.
I really like it. OK it's not at all what I expected but I really like the new characters there and the rest of the art is back to the quality of the 'Philippe kidnapped?' arc.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
June 14, 2004 - Molly?
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2004, 04:04:32 am »

Sweet Jesus. I go away for a few days and smoke too much pot, and come back to THIS? This is definitely my karmatic payment for ganja. Well, that and being around 90,000 hippies for a weekend.
But KEYRIST is this saddening. I saw this and....damn. Damn, man. I need a hug SO MUCH RIGHT NOW.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
June 14, 2004 - Molly?
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2004, 05:01:28 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Sweet Jesus. I go away for a few days and smoke too much pot, and come back to THIS? This is definitely my karmatic payment for ganja. Well, that and being around 90,000 hippies for a weekend.
But KEYRIST is this saddening. I saw this and....damn. Damn, man. I need a hug SO MUCH RIGHT NOW.


Also, it looks like your avatar died.  Maybe its wemt in the fire.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
June 14, 2004 - Molly?
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2004, 05:05:39 am »

Bozack's Avatar is working for me.  Could be a cache thing, somehow.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up