Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04  (Read 5577 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2004, 07:31:21 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Bozack"
As Aphrodite from the spilled blood of Uranus am I from the discussion of barbed peni.

There is a really tasteless joke just sitting on my runway re: barbed penes and the blood of Uranus, but it's gonna stay there, because some things just shouldn't be said.


It's so thoughtful of you to self-censor like that.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2004, 07:32:31 pm »

I'd like to momentarily discuss the GODAWFUL APPEARANCE OF PHILLIPPE'S NOSE that seems to have changed in this panel.

Maybe I just need some time to get used to it. But why, oh why did Onstead make Phillippe have a weird black nose? Is this so that Phillippe looks more like his stuffed-animal self?

Opinions? Anyone?
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2004, 07:34:40 pm »

Quote from: "linnea"
I'd like to momentarily discuss the GODAWFUL APPEARANCE OF PHILLIPPE'S NOSE that seems to have changed in this panel.


I was going to make a similar comment, but when I paged back to Phillipe's last appearance it seems that the big black nose has been there since his redesign.  (That was around the start of his candidacy, right?  Reconstructive cosmetic surgery?  Doesn't Kerry use Botox?)
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2004, 07:58:31 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "linnea"
I'd like to momentarily discuss the GODAWFUL APPEARANCE OF PHILLIPPE'S NOSE that seems to have changed in this panel.


I was going to make a similar comment, but when I paged back to Phillipe's last appearance it seems that the big black nose has been there since his redesign.  (That was around the start of his candidacy, right?  Reconstructive cosmetic surgery?  Doesn't Kerry use Botox?)


I never noticed it until now. Onstead is pretty meticulous about his work, he will go back and redesign strips if he's unhappy with them. I think that perhaps he went back and added the nose.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2004, 08:00:08 pm »

I just sort of wish he'd stop redesigning characters who had perfectly good designs to start with -- or at least that he'd make the changes in design gradual evolutions (as with Ray) instead of this HOLY CRAP SUDDENLY PHILIPPE HAS A NOSE DID I MISS THIS EARLIER? garbage
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2004, 08:05:39 pm »

Nice Avatar Linnea.  Is it a self-portrait?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2004, 08:38:13 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I just sort of wish he'd stop redesigning characters who had perfectly good designs to start with -- or at least that he'd make the changes in design gradual evolutions (as with Ray) instead of this HOLY CRAP SUDDENLY PHILIPPE HAS A NOSE DID I MISS THIS EARLIER? garbage

I disagree. All good comics progress in their character designs. Personally when rereading my Calvin & Hobbes archives I try to pinpoint the exact strip where Hobbes "pads" disappear. It's like a little game while reading comics on the john.

Quote
I like how this message board is all careful to annotate itself, all noting first appearances and paleocontinuity like a tightly-edited superhero comic. No-Prizes for all!

Oh man. I now have the urge to start editing posts in my fora by adding links to previous discussions/strips just like they do in comics.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2004, 08:41:09 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I just sort of wish he'd stop redesigning characters who had perfectly good designs to start with -- or at least that he'd make the changes in design gradual evolutions (as with Ray) instead of this HOLY CRAP SUDDENLY PHILIPPE HAS A NOSE DID I MISS THIS EARLIER? garbage

I disagree. All good comics progress in their character designs. Personally when rereading my Calvin & Hobbes archives I try to pinpoint the exact strip where Hobbes "pads" disappear. It's like a little game while reading comics on the john.

Well, fair enough. I don't necessarily mind evolving character designs; I just find the last few examples of them (Philippe's sudden nose, Lyle's sporadic mouth) sort of jarring.

Maybe it just bugs me that Onstad apparently intermittently goes back and edits some "borderline" strips to new character designs. It feels a little (and I realize I lose at the Internet forever for making this comparison) 1984-ish.
Logged

palm trees

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 203
    • View Profile
A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2004, 08:51:05 pm »

as far as i can tell the redesign is between here and here.

not that i really should have spent the time looking that up.
Logged
[size=10]***DESTROY VINYL***[/size][/color]

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2004, 08:59:34 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Maybe it just bugs me that Onstad apparently intermittently goes back and edits some "borderline" strips to new character designs. It feels a little (and I realize I lose at the Internet forever for making this comparison) 1984-ish.

V-Adore your records have been examine and as a recognized dork I hereby declare that you do NOT lose at the Internet. Due to past instances of greatness such as your avatar we instead grant you the status of:

Fuck City Bangin'

KTHNX
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2004, 09:22:20 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Nice Avatar Linnea.  Is it a self-portrait?


And is that a frog in your hand or what??
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2004, 10:23:53 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Due to past instances of greatness such as your avatar we instead grant you the status of:

Fuck City Bangin'


FUCK CITY BANGIN' DUE TO PUNISHMENT

Does her promotion come with complimentary passes down to the Fuck Races? Because I always wanted one of those plastic commemorative 44-ounce drink cups.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2004, 04:07:06 am »

Holy shit, why do we NOT have Fuck Races t-shirts yet? GET ON IT, 'STAD!
Oh, man! You know what is even better that the Official Unofficial Achewood Messageboard No-##### Day? The Official Unofficial Achewood Messageboard FUCK RACES! I'll leave you facilitators to figure out how we're going to work this.

What ever happened to the No-##### Day Thread? Did it get deleted in the GREAT TRIVIAL PURSUIT CATEGORY PURGE OF 2004? Did we ever figure out who had those really cute underoos? Because whoever that was, I'm going to warn you right now: I am going to bone you.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2004, 04:44:34 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
What ever happened to the No-***** Day Thread?


THAT THREAD WAS LOCKED DUE TO PUNISHMENT

Quote from: "Bozack"
Did we ever figure out who had those really cute underoos? Because whoever that was, I'm going to warn you right now: I am going to bone you.


And I hope, folks, this illustrates why the Internet, despite the barest (ahem) trappings of anonymity, is in practice a pa nts-positive environment. I'd be remiss, though, if I didn't acknowledge with gratitude the spirit of fair play in which Bozack's Warning was offered. Nothing can blow a day like a Surprise Boning.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
A meeting with Mexico - june 16 04
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2004, 12:50:12 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Does her promotion come with complimentary passes down to the Fuck Races? Because I always wanted one of those plastic commemorative 44-ounce drink cups.

Fuck Rackes? What's wrong with you man? That is not something at which one should race. It should be savored and enjoyed with tendernous.

Just ask Vlad.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up