This all makes me even more squeamish.
I was hoping you'd all tell me the whole "taking The Smiths seriously thing" was a big joke on me. I have a strong memory of back in my university days: a girl in my class very snidely looking at the copy of Douglas Coupland's "Girlfriend in a Coma" falling out of my bag during a lecture in The Fundamentals of Literary Study and saying "you know that's a song by The Smiths, don't you?" Me, already puzzled by the whole Smiths enigma, responded: "Yes, I know that," and the girl rolled her eyes in overt disgust and then just sat there staring at me. My response to her question seemed to shape her attitude toward me for the next four years of University where our paths regularly crossed. Every class I was in with her she made a point of talking me down, even if we essentially agreed on an issue. Now, unlike V-Adore, I've always thought "Girlfriend in a Coma" was one of the funny ones- I mean in the song the boyfriend veils his desire to finish the girl off so thinly, and he's the one who supposedly put her in the coma, now lurking around the hospital waiting for another chance.
Now, humour is personal, and admittedly my sense of humour is very dark, very cynical. Yet if, as almost everyone seems to agree, that The Smiths are supposed to be taken at least partially seriously, and that Morrissey actually takes himself seriously, my enjoyment of them is decreasing with a great deal of speed. I don't take any enjoyment in pretension -yet, I'm intrigued as well: public image is not the true self. Intentionally played out pretension is sort of different. Jough raises an interesting point in noting that his idol is Oscar Wilde. After having spent two years deeply immersed in Wilde as a director, an actor, and a student I came to the conclusion that Wilde is a genius, but that I hate him and never want to be involved in another Wilde production in my life. I have a great deal of suspicion toward anyone who doesn't communicate on a human level. Being "clever" is far too often a tool to build a false sense of superiority over others. Which makes the whole "Morrissey was a fascist" argument believable to me. But then I don't really have a sense of the person Morrissey presents himself to be other than through the music itself. Depending on the work alone I don't get the definite sense of what is being presented, it's far more enigmatic than the image that I've taken away from the few articles and sound bites about The Smiths/Morrissey that I've encountered.