Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood You are on the Night Train. Five Hours have passed. Axl Rose is in the gym car. It's not what you expected.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Smiths  (Read 5588 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
The Smiths
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2004, 05:10:06 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
Girlfriend in a Coma


It sucks that you associate the Smiths with such a jerk.  That book is very rad, although Douglas Coupland is, as I've mentioned, an odd odd man.  And I definitely agree with your interpretation of the song, though perhaps my opinion of it was forever tainted by having heard Mojo Nixon's insulting cover of it.

Quote from: "side_show"
Jough raises an interesting point in noting that his idol is Oscar Wilde.  After having spent two years deeply immersed in Wilde as a director, an actor, and a student I came to the conclusion that Wilde is a genius, but that I hate him and never want to be involved in another Wilde production in my life.


This I find very interesting.  When I was younger (11) I got fascinated by Oscar Wilde and decided to read everything he'd written, which I did. To this day I bear an overwhelmingly personal hatred towards Alfred Douglas.  I've read Dorian Gray upwards of ten times I'd imagine, memorized a good deal of Wilde's (admittedly spotty) poetry, and generally immersed (to steal your word) myself in his life.  So Morrissey's little nods to Wilde only made me love him more.
Logged
goose means greedy

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
The Smiths
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2004, 05:52:24 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
Stuff about "Girlfriend in a Coma"; also, about not liking Oscar Wilde.


First off, I always want to punch Oscar Wilde in the face SO HARD. I don't know, maybe it's my latent meathead, but trying to read a book where everytime a character says something, a wittier character says, "But that is actually that, because this is this and this! TITTER TITTER!" fills me with rage. I've seriously shouted "JUST fuck*ng STOP IT! STOP IT!" at my copy of "Dorian Grey."
I actually have personal associations with Smiths songs. I'm very close to "Girlfriend in a Coma" because, at one point, I had a girlfriend who was in a coma. And, as it turns out, I was actually listening to "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" (chorus: "And if a double-decker bus Crashes into us, To die by your side Is such a heavenly way to die. And if a ten-ton truck Kills the both of us, To die by your side,Well, the pleasure - the privilege is mine.") when I found out an ex-girlfriend of mine had been killed in a massive car accident with her boyfriend. And the best thing is, the night the girlfriend who was in a coma was struck by the car that put her into the coma, we had been discussing how I heard "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" when I found out etc. etc. etc.

I didn't say these were GOOD associations.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
The Smiths
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2004, 06:15:41 pm »

I associate the Smiths with a very, very evil ex-boyfriend.  They're ruined for me now.  

Also, last night I dreamed that somebody loved me.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
The Smiths
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2004, 06:26:21 pm »

"London." "Bigmouth Strikes Again."  "How Soon Is Now." "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out."

Out of the few dozen Smiths songs I own, those are the only ones that stuck.  Oh well.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
The Smiths
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2004, 06:36:28 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
stuff about an Oscar Wilde fixation from her youth


Part of what drove me hardcore away from Wilde, and basically any canon-style playwrights was reading Artaud's "No More Masterpieces" in The Theatre and its Double after having spent a great deal of time forced through formal education to read "classics" which I always felt excluded from as a woman and a minority.  I know Artaud's a nut bar, and a lot of his stuff comes off as mad rambelings, but it was nice to be given a reason to say "Fuck Shakespeare!" I still take a great deal of joy in that:  "Fuck Shakespeare!" But of course, I also have to admit that when I was wee, I fell in love with theatre through seeing "A Midsummer Night's Dream," but hell, what little girl don't love fairies?


Quote from: "Bozack"
a character says something, a wittier character says, "But that is actually that, because this is this and this! TITTER TITTER!" fills me with rage. I've seriously shouted "JUST fuck*ng STOP IT! STOP IT!" at my copy of "Dorian Grey."


Which made me laught so hard I choked on my Subway sandwich

Quote from: "Bozack"
stuff about crazy life connections to The Smiths songs


Well, wouldn't this be a good reason to dislike The Smiths?  Their music seems to trigger very bad things to happen in your life!

edit:I've never been able to figure out how to quote two people in the same post

edit:Fixed.  Close your quotes and you'll be just fine.  Your friendly neighborhood moderator!

edit: thank-yee
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The Smiths
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2004, 03:51:43 pm »

I dislike you folks. Vehemently!

I am listening to The Smiths. And I am not screaming and turning them off.
I am, almost enjoying them. In fact...

I got Louder Than Bombs and Hatful of Hollow of a friend last night, after we shared our mutual opinion of Morrissey being an asshat.
Maybe it's Marr's appearance on the last Tweaker album, or maybe I was just wrong...

Yes, your audiophile, asshole-when-it-comes-to-music-opinions mod has changed his mind.

Still don't like the man though.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Smiths
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2004, 07:30:23 pm »

What's all the fuss about a bunch of guys banging on anvils with hammers and squeezing bellows?  I don't get it.

What?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Smiths
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2004, 10:14:13 pm »

Boo!

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
The Smiths
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2004, 11:40:21 pm »

I love the Smiths and think that Marr's contribution to the band's kickassedness, while great, is over-stated.  Marr's recent solo album sucks complete ass.  Morrissey has been pretty inconsistent in his solo career but still has written some kick-ass songs minus Marr.  Can't really say the same thing about Marr.  Morrissey is one of my favorite musicians.  And so what if he is nuts or pompous or over-the-top.  It's Morrissey...of course he is.

If you don't like Morrissey then, well, I so think that you should re-evaluate your opinion of him.  If you still don't like him, well, then we'll just have to have different opinions of him.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
The Smiths
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2004, 11:50:11 pm »

That ain't no joke!  Hehe, greasy English Steve Albini.  I'd say Albini is more of a prick, or a dickhead, and Morrissey is more of a paranoid diva.

I think Mojo recenlty published an interview in which he discusses problems with band members, including the lawsuit the drummer (I think?) won.  I guess basically the bassist wanted the royalties from the songs or whatever to be split 4 ways, and was granted that.  But I bet most would agree Morrissey and Marr contributed a great deal more to the group's success than the drummer or bassist did, which is why they share the songwriting credits for all or nearly all the songs.  Morrissey thinks he lost the suit because the Man has it in for him for all the bad things he's said about Maggie Thatcher and stuff.  He also says that this whole thing will end in him getting killed.  Hehe.  He was serious about why he lost the suit and probably less serious about being murdered by Mike Joyce.  Anyway, point is, he does talk quite a bit of shit.  And seems kind of fussy.  But, he is getting sexier with age.  How can you not love him?

Edit:  It also quoted Marr from years back saying something like "Morrissey just needs a good humping."  Awesome.

Quote from: "Bozack"
Morrissey I find massively hilarious, simply because of how much shit he talks. He's like a little greasy English Steve Albini.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
The Smiths
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2004, 02:08:48 am »

Quote from: "miles"
I think Mojo recenlty published an interview in which he discusses problems with band members, including the lawsuit the drummer (I think?) won.


Yep, I have that issue.  The interview's ok-- at very least, it was respectable for not bringing up the celibacy issue.
Logged
goose means greedy

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
The Smiths
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2004, 02:33:55 am »

FUN SMITHS ANECDOTE #47: "The Blacksmiths"

Okay, when I was working in a record store, one of the other clerks, another clerk, this real hipster guy (writes for Pitchfork Media, knows everyone, kind of an asshat) named Nitsuh is talking to me one day about my dreams of starting a cover band. And this conversation takes place:

Nitsuh: Well, apparently there's this Smiths cover band in Brooklyn, these four black guys, they're really good.

Me: Hmmm?

Nitsuh: And guess what they're called.

The shoe drops.

Me: The....Blacksmiths?

Nitsuh: No! Isn't that nuts? How can you be four black guys, in a Smiths cover band, and NOT be called the Blacksmiths?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
The Smiths
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2004, 02:57:09 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
FUN SMITHS ANECDOTE #47


Dude, your life crosses paths with the Smiths what seems to be an unreasonable amount.  I am guessing you and Morrissey should probably fight to the death.
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The Smiths
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2004, 03:23:38 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I am guessing you and Morrissey should probably fight to the death.


Newfound love (or lack of hatred) of Morrissey or nay, (and eternal love of Bozack, naturally) I would pay to see that!

Mind you, I'd just pay to see Morrissey in a fight anyway. It would be kind of amusing!

Interestingly I just saw Phil Jupitus and Lauren Laverne (which will mean nothing to anyone not British I'm sure) doing a retrospective of Glastonbury, which Morrissey headlined, and caught him doing, what I think I remember being called The Last of the Gang to Die.
Again, I was shocked at, well, kind of enjoying it.

I am I think decidedly ill at the moment though. Maybe that's what it is!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
The Smiths
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2004, 04:30:52 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Yep, I have that issue.  The interview's ok-- at very least, it was respectable for not bringing up the celibacy issue.


Well, it kinda did with the Marr quote, the one about Moz needing a good humping, I think the writer said something like "I doubt that has happened."  I took this as a reference to the celibacy issue, but you're right, it wasn't really discussed with Morrissey.

Or maybe I am remembering a different interview.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up