Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Audioscrobbler  (Read 6541 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Audioscrobbler
« on: June 18, 2004, 10:28:37 pm »

aka This Here Thingy

Does anyone here use this?  Seems like it would be relevant to fellow members of the music-geek contingent.  I've gotten terribly addicted to it in the past few months.  They're having some server troubles lately, so I'm not sure if signups are open right now, but it is a hella nifty thing and worth looking into.
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Audioscrobbler
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 08:40:31 pm »

Not to drag up a topic from 600 years ago but I just started using it. I saw the Wired article which apparently damn near annihilated their server. Right now I'm letting iTunes play through my uber playlist (in shuffle) to build up my profile. It's apparently going to take 8.7 days.

I'm CortJstr, of course.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Audioscrobbler
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 08:54:50 pm »

Well, the site is completely down now.

So what is it?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Audioscrobbler
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 08:56:11 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Well, the site is completely down now.

So what is it?

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,64402,00.html
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Audioscrobbler
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 09:06:19 pm »

Ah, I see, so it's a way for people to give up a little more of their privacy for little to no payback?

Um, sweet?

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Audioscrobbler
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 07:19:42 pm »

Jough, would you like some cynicism with that?

I signed up, as I am on a big binge of finding new music. The question becomes what kinda user base there is and whether the recommendations will come out well.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Audioscrobbler
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 07:39:38 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
I signed up, as I am on a big binge of finding new music. The question becomes what kinda user base there is and whether the recommendations will come out well.


I've found the recommendations to be pretty apt, and often things I haven't heard of or might not have looked into otherwise.
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Audioscrobbler
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 11:54:05 pm »

Just to warn people, they had a major server failure on Sunday which among other things fucked up the neighbor calcuation. So you might see "neighbors" who match you by 104% but have no songs in common. They're working on it.

A brand new server (less than a week old) had not only an HD fail, but the RAID failed also.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Audioscrobbler
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 12:05:09 am »

Yeah, I really don't understand how they manage to have so many technical problems.
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Audioscrobbler
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2004, 12:44:31 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Yeah, I really don't understand how they manage to have so many technical problems.

::shrug::
Killer bees?
Lucifer?
Poor oral hygene?
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Audioscrobbler
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2004, 02:20:45 am »

Tharr we go; I've even switched my Audioscrobbler name to be roughly the same as my forum name and not the random Schoolhouse Rock allusion it was before.
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Audioscrobbler
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2004, 02:36:17 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Tharr we go; I've even switched my Audioscrobbler name to be roughly the same as my forum name and not the random Schoolhouse Rock allusion it was before.

Can you just switch a name or did you have to start up a whole new account?
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Audioscrobbler
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2004, 03:17:17 am »

I created a new account then merged it with my old one.
I like things to be... organized.
Logged
goose means greedy

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Audioscrobbler
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2004, 03:48:59 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Tharr we go; I've even switched my Audioscrobbler name to be roughly the same as my forum name and not the random Schoolhouse Rock allusion it was before.


Interplanet Janet?

Lucky Seven Sampson?

Lolly?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Audioscrobbler
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2004, 11:33:19 am »

Nope, just "preamble", as in their appallingly catchy version of the preamble to the constitution.
Logged
goose means greedy
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up