Yea, it's like, if I were to make an analogy for what he's done, it what be something... sandbox based! Now, where did that come from 
You know, I was trying to think up an apt metaphor, and didn't want to use the cliched "This kid we used to play ball with got pissed off at us once and since he owned the ball..."
It really doesn't matter now what Onstad thinks about his message board. I think he likes having fans - who wouldnt? - but it seems that even the most hardcore fans weren't above posting criticism on the message boards.
Because that's what the internet is about: posting semi-anonymous rantings trashing stuff and people.
I don't think many people would have said the things that they posted on those message boards to Onstad's face at a party. You don't walk up to someone and say "Man, the Variety Hour is LAME. Why don't you go back to writing another strip?"
I think he'd just prefer we say "thank you" and go on our way.
Oh, and buy merchandise, which I for one will no longer be doing.
How many readers/customers did he lose through shutting down the boards? Hard to say. Probably not many, because the sycophantic can take all sorts of abuse and justify it.
I don't even object to his closing the message boards. I just think he could've handled it better. Like, I don't know, post a thread a month ahead of time saying "These boards will be closing at the end of the month." or "I can't moderate this thing anymore - it's taking up too much of my time and energy. Could someone else mod? I'll be by once a week to answer questions and read some feedback."
But what did he do? Like a petulant child he got a bug up his ass and in less than a day's time closed the message board.
That's fine. He's entitled. But I prefer to spend my money on people who are a little more considerate to their fans. People like rstevens, from whom I'll be ordering a book. I'll have to check to see if he autographs them, because the extra scratch is usually worth it.
And I read through the other Dumbrella board comics (not all of them, but one a day) and have really enjoyed Scary Go Round - so maybe John Allison can get a little of my excess web-comic-cash.
Rstevens and John A both post regularly to their message boards, they interact with their fans (heck, rstevens of Clango.org even came over here to interact with US) and the interactions seem a lot more civil and enjoyable than the old Achewood board was at times.
So maybe Onstad brings his own hostility to his fanbase.
That's pretty much my last word on the closing of the old boards, barring any follow-ups.
-- Jough